Disc Brake "squeal/whistle"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Brake "squeal/whistle"

OK....after driving for any period of time, pulling into the garage, the brakes squeal pretty loud......??

Did you check for thin pads?
    With the wheels off, you can get a pretty good look at the pads.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Is it factory disc brakes or a conversion?

If there is a residual pressure valve still in a drum brake master cylinder after a conversion the disc pads can drag and cause squeal or possibly even enough drag to feel them dragging at low speed.

Brent Lee
      61 Hawk

Comment

I changed pads and rotors recently (original equipment Studebaker system, brand new rotors) and now the I get a horrible squeal from the left front in particular. Usually it happens around town, but not all the time. Let me know what you find out, I suspect that some of the pads are harder than others or something like that.

Tim K.
        '64 R2 GT Hawk
        Tim K.
        \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Where did you get the pads?
          Some of the newer pads have such a high metallic content they squeal like made. i have never been into studebaker disc brakes did you lube the sliders? not that it will help. sometimes if it is the pads you can make a couple hard panic like stops from 45-60mph and get them to calm down.

Erin Hays
          "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
          RZRECTD
          1961 Hawk
          1962 Lark
          1963 Wagonaire

Comment

I remember attending a disc brake clinic sponsored by one of the lining suppliers.

#1 cause of squeal is loose parts. On non-Stude disc brakes, one has to bend the "ears" on the pads so they fit snugly on the caliper. If they are loose, they will squeal. This NOT applicable to the Stude design, though. One thing that MIGHT help is to chamfer the edges of the pads about 1/8". Sharp corners on the pads can cause squeal.

Another thing one could do on Stude disc brakes would be to ensure the calipers are properly shimmed according to the shop manual.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

These are brand new pads in Stude original rebuilt calipers. Rotors turned clean......pain in the rump.....Only squeals when I've finished driving and pulling into the garage.....?!

Comment

That does sound like they could be dragging and overheating, after being driven, maybe shoot a laser thermometer at them! Or some other way, check for overheating.

Not properly centered calipers will do that. The only other trick not mentioned is use the anti-rattle(squeek) coating that is sold for that purpose, it goes on the back of your pads.

The "guide pins" used on other newer brakes are not used on the Dunlap/Bendix system.

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X