62v2117x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62v2117x

I'm talking with the owner of a 1962 Hawk GT in Texas. The car has a 289 and four speed. The owner read the VIN on the doorpost as 62V2117b. He says the "b" looks smaller than the other alphanumerics, so he believes it is not a "6". Anyone have any information an a '62 Hawk GT with VIN 62V21176 (or b or maybe 8)? Thanks.

Tom, it's undoubtedly 62V21176. That is a legitimate Serial Number, and Studebaker's numeral 6 had a straight left leg, not curved as you would expect.

Perhaps the top of the 6's vertical leg is stamped a bit lightly so he thinks it has a short "left leg," but I'm sure it is 62V21176. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Here's a good example of the numeral 6 as the last digit in an 8-digit 1960s Studebaker Serial Number (64V-11756), Tom:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I agree with Bob P. The 6 used on the VIN is an upside down 9.
        Other than that, the Hawk was assembled in South Bend about mid-way through the 1962 model year.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          I agree with Bob P. The 6 used on the VIN is an upside down 9.
          Other than that, the Hawk was assembled in South Bend about mid-way through the 1962 model year.
          Uh oh!! Did I just see YOU referring to the serial number as a VEE-EYE-ENN!!?!!?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            Uh oh!! Did I just see YOU referring to the serial number as a VEE-EYE-ENN!!?!!?

Craig
            Whew, Craig; I thought I'd slipped up! BP

Comment

Good catch, Craig. "I thought I was wrong, once, but I was only mistaken".
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
              X