Original Availability of Halibrand Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Availability of Halibrand Wheels

While looking over the newest issue of Avanti Magazine, I see that replicas of the Halibrand wheels offered by Studebaker are available via realrodderswheels.com.

This got me thinking (yes, dangerous!). Has anybody ever seen any sales materials issued by Studebaker promoting the availability of Halibrand wheels? I have heard they were available, and seen pictures of them in period road tests, but have never seen a sales sheet, pricing/order form, etc issued by Studebaker.
    Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
    \'60 Lark Convertible

Perhaps here in the last post:------> http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=halibrand

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      Perhaps here in the last post:------> http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=halibrand

Craig
      Craig, thanks for reserching this. Lots of good information in this previous post, but I did not see anything issued from Studebaker announcing or promoting the availability of Halibrands.
      Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
      \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
        Craig, thanks for reserching this. Lots of good information in this previous post, but I did not see anything issued from Studebaker announcing or promoting the availability of Halibrands.
        I have a feeling the factory never inventoried them, nor issued part numbers for them, and the dealer directly ordered them from Halibrand; not through the Parts Depot.

Craig

Comment

pardon my ignorance, but i need a little help from folks a little older than me (or others).

i'm curious if Halibrands were well known outside of the racing community. pricing at the time compared to other "mags". i'm ass-u-ming these were dealer installed options.

i really didn't get into wheels until around 1970 when a friend picked up some Cragars for his '68 GTO.
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I have a feeling the factory never inventoried them, nor issued part numbers for them, and the dealer directly ordered them from Halibrand; not through the Parts Depot.
            Craig
            One thing about moving after 33 years in one place is you find things you don't even remember having. Like I found a CD with a bunch of period magazine reports on Studebakers. Relative to this thread, one was a report by Motor Trend in the June 1963 edition. I have it in pdf, but can't seem to pull out specific pictures and the entire pdf is too big to post. Anyhow, the test was of a prototype R-2 Super Hawk. Pictures show it with the kidney bean type Halibrands and the writer is quoted as saying "Other options included Halibrand magnesium wheels ($240 a set from Stude dealers)...
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
              Anyhow, the test was of a prototype R-2 Super Hawk. Pictures show it with the kidney bean type Halibrands and the writer is quoted as saying "Other options included Halibrand magnesium wheels ($240 a set from Stude dealers)...
              And that prototype is now owned by James Bell.

Photo in post #21 http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=honduras

Craig
              Last edited by 8E45E; 12-01-2014, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Craig
                Craig, I imagine you may be right...in all my years following Studebakers, I have never seen any material from Studebaker promoting the availability of Halibrand wheels. Still "never say never", so maybe someday something will show up.
                Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Still "never say never", so maybe someday something will show up.
                  This is what makes the Studebaker World so much fun still after all these years! Especially now with the internet, so many new documented discoveries are found each passing year.

Craig

Comment

Following up on my own thread here...attached is a copy of a letter from Halibrand to Andy Granatelli concerning the availability of mag wheels. This is the only communication I have ever seen regarding the availability of these wheels. Is it possible that these wheels were only offered through Paxton, and not a regular offering by Studebaker? If my memory serves me, it seems like every car which appeared in magazines back in the day which had Halibrands spent some time on the west coast. We also know from reading the Lamberti papers that Paxton helped prep cars for magazine tests back in the day too.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	halibrands.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	1693062
                    Last edited by 2R2; 12-02-2014, 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling
                    Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                    \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Is it possible that these wheels were only offered through Paxton, and not a regular offering by Studebaker?
                      If anyone knew, It would have been Bert Needham in Australia. Unfortunately, he is no longer around, but his old dealership paperwork and other business correspondence just may have survived. Being a dealer, and actively racing Studebakers in Australia at the time, he did order a set of Halibrands. If the paperwork still exists, it should clearly state which source the wheels came from.

Craig

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	halibrand-ad.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	1693073Here is an ad I have.Click image for larger version

Name:	Future Avanti 5.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1693074Click image for larger version

Name:	Future Avanti 8.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	1693075
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Studebaker did show a red 64 Avanti with Halibrands in sales brochures.
                          David L

Comment

The wheels are mentioned here by Fred Fox
                            Attached Files

Comment

I checked the December, 1963 gold & black Avanti parts catalog. It shows only primed steel wheels being available, but for wheel covers, it does state the 'wire wheel covers' which were introduced the previous October.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X