PDA

View Full Version : Avanti II Valuations

HawkGT
11-30-2014, 07:41 PM
I have a running '85 Avanti that I've been looking to sell for best offer, and so far I have offers of $2K and $2800. The car needs paint and some other work, but the engine only has about 25,000 miles on it (car has 119,000). Is this really what a mechanically solid Avanti II is worth these days? It even has solid hog troughs and rebuilt front suspension. Looking at eBay, Avanti II's vary all over the map, but these offers do seem pretty low.

My wife says she would almost rather see us donate it to charity for a small tax deduction than sell it for about half of what we have in it, but I'd much rather find a good home for it, being the last year for the Studebaker chassis.

Studedude
11-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Pictures?

sweetolbob
11-30-2014, 07:49 PM
The details about last year with a Stude chassis and the rest mean little in the Avanti/SBC market. That said it should go for more than double your offers. If you want it gone and no one here expresses interest, put it on Ebay with a reserve selling price you can live with and see what the market says.

Be advised, nothing beats a well written Ebay ad with a lot of pictures.

Good luck, Bob

Warren Webb
11-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Also, speak to your tax advisor before donating the car. I understand the IRS tax code was changed to allow the amount for donation to be what it was sold for by the tax exempt party. Before this the amount of the "donation" could be wildly stated & wasn't the true value of the donation.

studefan
11-30-2014, 08:03 PM
Keep in mind that if you donate the car and are honest, you will only realize (bring into the house) approximately a third of the cars value, depending on your tax bracket. This is if you claim the true current value of the vehicle. If you want to get the most for the car, sell it outright on ebay.

Gunslinger
11-30-2014, 08:08 PM
This is also a bad time of year to sell any kind of collectible car. Springtime is better than just before Christmas. About the only offers you'll get right now are those looking for a bargain. Those who want to jump in and drive the car will likely pay more but Winter is the wrong time to attract them.

HawkGT
11-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks to all for that advice. I had looked into the tax deduction aspects, and it's definitely not a good way to optimize what is realized from a car, especially not a collector car. And it's probably a ticket to the junk yard as well. Here are a some pictures.

Gene

candbstudebakers
11-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Australia or New Zealand is a good bet, let me spark some interest, the people I know over there that buy also look here, so if your happy with about $4000- $5000 it just might sell.

64V-K7
11-30-2014, 10:27 PM
What's the serial number?

SN-60
12-01-2014, 06:09 PM
It's tough to attract customers to an Avanti stripped down to the fiberglass. (although you saved the next owner a lot of work!) How about this idea...spruce the car up with an inexpensive 'Maaco' type paint job, clean up the interior as best you can, then advertise the car on e-bay. A small investment into a rather rare 1985 Avanti, which apparently is in good mechanical condition, may get you closer to the offers you desire!

plwindish
12-04-2014, 10:13 AM
Hagerty's assessment for a #4 condition car, which this one might be a tick or two below that classification, is $7600. From the pics you posted, and assuming its running with no major issues, you might want to ask in the $4000 - $5000 range.

PackardV8
12-04-2014, 10:46 AM
It's tough to attract customers to an Avanti stripped down to the fiberglass. (although you saved the next owner a lot of work!) How about this idea...spruce the car up with an inexpensive 'Maaco' type paint job, clean up the interior as best you can, then advertise the car on e-bay. A small investment into a rather rare 1985 Avanti, which apparently is in good mechanical condition, may get you closer to the offers you desire!

Agree, having the body already stripped will save the next owner a lot of work.

Also, sadly agree, to the great unwashed, upon whom the bottom end of the hobby car market depends, would probably pay more for the car at auction when advertised and pictured with 'new paint', no matter that it would not look so good upon close inspection.

jack vines

plwindish
12-04-2014, 12:22 PM
I personally would not put a quickie type paint job on the car. If a buyer is looking for a classic, they may not be enthused with a poor quality paint job they'll need to replace.

Hawklover
12-04-2014, 05:55 PM
MAACO=Earl Sheib-quality:-(
I personally would not put a quickie type paint job on the car. If a buyer is looking for a classic, they may not be enthused with a poor quality paint job they'll need to replace.

SN-60
12-04-2014, 06:59 PM
MAACO=Earl Sheib-quality:-(

Your statement, of course, is untrue Hawklover....Paint work that comes out of Maaco shops in my area can be excellent!....HOWEVER, there are two 'tricks' which come into play for best results...1) Look at the paint work that's coming out of the particular Maaco shop you choose...quality of a paint job mainly hinges on the experience of the guy behind the spray gun! 2) If at all possible, prep as much of the car as you can yourself....New shiny paint only magnifies bad bodywork...and there is NOTHING like the 'Personal Touch'! There's nothing wrong with a Maaco urethane paint job....but you must do the research and the (detail) 'HOMEWORK';)

70Avanti2
12-04-2014, 08:10 PM
also be the first car painted that day. fresh air in the booth. talk to the painter before hand and slip him some extra money.

HawkGT
12-05-2014, 12:45 AM
Thanks to Bob P, Bob J and Ed for suggestions re. the Avanti. Paint, however, is probably not the biggest expense I would face; to go from the current non-operation status to licensed here in California will require passing smog regulations, which this car has not needed to do in its former state of Georgia.

When I bought it, it was still titled by Avanti Motors with a Georgia title, so I'm guessing that it was used by some one from the company after perhaps being traded in on one of the new ones that were being made in Georgia for several years. For Bob J, the serial no. (not the VIN on the dash) is RQB-4231.

As an aside, I agree with Ed re. Maaco; our Maaco here did a fine job on my Hawk; not perfect but a good 2-stage job that stands up to all but the most detailed scrutiny. But I was careful to strip all trim and do all the prep that I could before turning it over to them.

Gene

PackardV8
12-05-2014, 12:48 AM
Sell it out of CA. In most states, cars more than 25 years old don't have to have emissions inspections.

jack vines

SN-60
12-07-2014, 09:37 AM
Thanks to Bob P, Bob J and Ed for suggestions re. the Avanti. Paint, however, is probably not the biggest expense I would face; to go from the current non-operation status to licensed here in California will require passing smog regulations, which this car has not needed to do in its former state of Georgia.

When I bought it, it was still titled by Avanti Motors with a Georgia title, so I'm guessing that it was used by some one from the company after perhaps being traded in on one of the new ones that were being made in Georgia for several years. For Bob J, the serial no. (not the VIN on the dash) is RQB-4231.

As an aside, I agree with Ed re. Maaco; our Maaco here did a fine job on my Hawk; not perfect but a good 2-stage job that stands up to all but the most detailed scrutiny. But I was careful to strip all trim and do all the prep that I could before turning it over to them.

Gene

Noticed the serial# of your '85 Avanti (RQB-4231)...I own RQB-4234...My '85 was almost right behind yours on the 'production' line in South Bend!:)

Paul K.
12-09-2014, 02:26 AM
I am nearby in Carlsbad and interested in the car.

pkatson@sbcglobal.net

or call

858 259 7555

SN-60
12-09-2014, 05:33 PM
I am nearby in Carlsbad and interested in the car.

pkatson@sbcglobal.net

or call
58 259 7555

This Avanti seems to have good potential....Good luck:!: