PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetically....

cowboyup351
11-30-2014, 10:33 AM
In a 6V vehicle, could you add a separate 12V system (in a closed loop) with it's own separate alternator to run a hidden car radio, or something to that effect? I was just sitting here wondering.

RadioRoy
11-30-2014, 10:39 AM
In theory you could, but what an incredible hassle it would be.

A better idea is to buy a 6 to 12 volt converter. They are sold by http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/Accessories.html

studerodder
11-30-2014, 12:01 PM
Jack Van Eck uses a 12v motorcycle battery to power a gps in his 48 champion vert. Just charges it between trips. Says it works great.

s1b
11-30-2014, 12:23 PM
How good is the wiring in your car? Dried out? Coating cracked?

SN-60
11-30-2014, 12:28 PM
I knew a Stude owner that kept a charged 12V battery in the trunk of his '54 to power a stereo...kind of a bogus idea!

studegary
11-30-2014, 01:57 PM
In theory you could, but what an incredible hassle it would be.

A better idea is to buy a 6 to 12 volt converter. They are sold by http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/Accessories.html

You need an invertor/convertor to run 12 volt negative ground items off a 6 volt positive ground Studebaker.
I did this for many years. I mounted the invertor/convertor up under the dash, where it wasn't visible, and powered it from the accessory position so that it went off with the car. It worked great.

64V-K7
11-30-2014, 03:41 PM
Did I not see somewhere that you can install 2 six volt batteries, powered by a 12 volt alternator and tap either 6 or 12 volts as needed?

studerodder
11-30-2014, 03:41 PM
I knew a Stude owner that kept a charged 12V battery in the trunk of his '54 to power a stereo...kind of a bogus idea!
Not bogus at all since most of us don't use these cars as daily drivers. You can get a good used battery for 25 bucks and it will run that stereo for days. Just charge it with a trickle charger when you get home.

55 56 PREZ 4D
11-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Turning Wheels, Dec 2014, Page 7, Fifth avenue Tech Tips.
Talks about series and parallel connections.
Doesn't go into specifics of tapping off 6 volts from series connection, but it can be done very easily.

55 56 PREZ 4D
11-30-2014, 05:55 PM
cowboyup351:
Nothing hypothetical about it.
A 12 volt charging system with 2- 6 volt batteries in series in place of 1- 12 volt battery will inexpensively give you points to tap off for any any 12 volt or 6 volt components.
Separate fuse blocks are required, 1 for 12 volt, 1 for 6 volt.
Ground is a ground is a ground, no special connections or anything. All grounds go to the same point.
Antiqueautobattery.com has a 12/6 volt battery available which does the same thing at a much higher price. They have center tapped a 12 volt battery to provide a 6 volt connection. When you buy the battery they send an instruction sheet to explain how to connect/create the system.

Dick Steinkamp
11-30-2014, 09:41 PM
You need an invertor/convertor to run 12 volt negative ground items off a 6 volt positive ground Studebaker.
I did this for many years. I mounted the invertor/convertor up under the dash, where it wasn't visible, and powered it from the accessory position so that it went off with the car. It worked great.

Gary,
I don't think you mean invertor (actually spelled inverter). An inverter changes DC current to AC.

A DC to DC convertor (usually spelled converter) does increase or decrease DC voltage depending on the design.

I'm not sure how one could run both positive and negative ground in the same vehicle. The usual procedure is to switch all to negative ground. Wires need to be swapped on the coil, and ammeter, and the generator needs to be polarized but that's about it.

StudeRich
11-30-2014, 10:12 PM
/Cut/Ground is a ground is a ground, no special connections or anything. All grounds go to the same point./Cut/

Yeah, what Dick said, I do NOT think you can do that.

But I believe that if you isolate the 6 Volt Positive Ground Radio or other equipment from the 12 Volt Negative grounded Battery/Frame and run the Positive Ground wire to the single 6 Volt Battery (+) Term. you will have a workable system.

ST2DE5
11-30-2014, 10:41 PM
http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/accessories.html

55 56 PREZ 4D
11-30-2014, 11:26 PM
cowboyup351 DID NOT MENTION a Studebaker positive ground system specifically.
What he did ask about was a 6 volt vehicle.
There may be complications with a positive ground radio that would require isolating the electrical.
The remaining 6 volt systems will easily convert to positive ground as stated by Dick Steinkamp.

RadioRoy
12-01-2014, 12:59 PM
The OP asked only about a 12 volt radio for his 6 volt car. The converter I referenced can be configured either way - from 6 volt positive ground to 12 volt negative ground, OR 6 volt negative ground to 12 volt negative ground.

http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/Accessories_files/HPC%20spec%20sheet%201.2.pdf