Silver Hawk locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver Hawk locks

Need some info on my 59 silver hawk locks. My understanding is the door and ignition are one key and the trunk and glovebox are a different key, correct ?

I have no keys for the car. I've had zero luck finding someone that's capable of making keys for the locks. I see some on eBay that have keys however the rods are different lengths. I can't figure out how to get the rods out of my door lock. I'm assuming I need the key to get them out ?? Can the different length rods be interchanged between locks ?

Does anyone sell replacement rods for the trunk and doors ?

The car had no trunk lock. I've found that the door lock fits the trunk but the rod needs to be longer. Does that sound correct or am I missing something else ?

Check the Studebaker Int'l catalogue. I bought the complete set for my 55K, door locks and ignition switch with matched keys. They also sell trunk locks. Good luck.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Same story as yesterday on someone else's String! See this:

StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Do the locks from Studebaker International have the little doors on them tha cover the keyhole ?

Comment

Originally posted by Geerbangr View Post
          Do the locks from Studebaker International have the little doors on them tha cover the keyhole ?
          The '53 to '62 C & K Body Lock Sets with the External dust doors are NLA at Most Studebaker Vendors, you would have to use the built-in dust door type used on '63-'64 GT Hawks.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ok can I swith the rods in the back of the lock from a short rod to a longer rod ? If so how do you get the rod out ?

Comment

In a word no, but there is no need to switch anything as the Door Locks are complete with the square shanks because they do not remove. They are the correct length if ordered for the correct body Style.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                They are the correct length if ordered for the correct body Style.
                Meaning, you need locks for a C/K; on others the shaft will be too short.

If you have the key code from the production order, assuming your cylinders haven't been changed, some vendors here can provide a key.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

First off I was wanting to know about changing the rod because I found a set off doors/ign locks but the rods are to short. That's why I wondered about changing them. Reproductions will be my last ditch effort.

Second, I have nothing but the title to car. No production sheet. Any way to aquire a production sheet with vin number ?

Comment

Contact the Studebaker National Museum about getting a copy of the production order. Use the serial number that is on the driver's door post - vin's came into use after Studebaker ended production.
                    Jim K.
                    63 Hawk

Comment

I've sent the museum an email describing my issue with the keys. I'm sure there will be no reply until business hours. If they could help with a key code that would sure save me from pulling my hair out. Thanks to all of those who've given thoughts and ideas. I will report back after I hear from the museum and let you guys know how this plays out. Perhaps this will assist someone else in the future that encounters the same situation. Thanks again guys !!

Comment

Following JimK's suggestion I've contacted the Studebaker museum. It's a fee of 45.00 to get a copy of the production code sheet. Not a bad deal if you ask me. 4-6 week turn on the production sheet.

Now once I have the production sheet and the key code who do I need to make some keys ? Any suggestions ?

Comment

Working...
                        X