PDA

View Full Version : 1965 Daytona SS On Ebay

JoeHall
11-27-2014, 05:24 PM
This car brings back a lot of memories. About 1987, while living in So-Cal, I bought one exactly like it, except it was white with black vinyl top. It was a very sweet car, and the 283 was smooth as silk. It had a 3.07 rear end, which was very well matched with the 283. I bet this one, with TH350, and first gear start, is really zippy. Soo many nice Studes, yet so little time and money :( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-Studebaker-Daytona-1965-studebaker-daytona-with-factory-air-/351237860456?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item51c7686c68&vxp=mtr

Stu Chapman
11-27-2014, 05:31 PM
This car brings back a lot of memories. About 1987, while living in So-Cal, I bought one exactly like it, except it was white with black vinyl top. It was a very sweet car, and the 283 was smooth as silk. It had a 3.07 rear end, which was very well matched with the 283. I bet this one, with TH350, and first gear start, is really zippy. Soo many nice Studes, yet so little time and money :( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-Studebaker-Daytona-1965-studebaker-daytona-with-factory-air-/351237860456?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item51c7686c68&vxp=mtr

This car is probably not offered by a SDC member, otherwise the seller would know it's a Sports Sedan, not a Coupe. It also wasn't built with Powerglide transmission either. Oh well, sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Stu Chapman

Scott
11-27-2014, 05:57 PM
That's the car I saved from the crusher (a certain fate if I had not bought it). It was in Minneapolis and my father and I paid $250 for it in about 2007. I put about $1000+ into it to get it road worthy and sold it to a guy in Atlanta, who drove it home. He did a ton more work on it as you can see and then sold it about 2-3 years ago. When I had it it was dull orange red. I was originally a red car. I wish I had it back, but now it's way out of my price range. I'm not sure where the seller is, but the last time I saw it for sale (a year or so ago), it was in North Carolina.

This should be a lesson to those who think you can't get a good car out of Minnesota. This thing was solid as a rock and only had rust-through in the driver's door and some bubbling in one fender. The frame and rocker panels were great and the floor was perfect.

JoeHall
11-27-2014, 06:07 PM
That's the car I saved from the crusher (a certain fate if I had not bought it). It was in Minneapolis and my father and I paid $250 for it in about 2007. I put about $1000+ into it to get it road worthy and sold it to a guy in Atlanta, who drove it home. He did a ton more work on it as you can see and then sold it about 2-3 years ago. When I had it it was dull orange red. I was originally a red car. I wish I had it back, but now it's way out of my price range. I'm not sure where the seller is, but the last time I saw it for sale (a year or so ago), it was in North Carolina.

This should be a lesson to those who think you can't get a good car out of Minnesota. This thing was solid as a rock and only have rust-through in the driver's door and some bubbling in one fender. The frame and rocker panels were great and the floor was perfect.

What a small Studebaker world! I guessed it was originally same color as the fire wall under the hood, but am sure you'd know. I see they kept the red wheels though. Looks like the car is still in NC.

Stu I am aware the TH350 is not OEM, but would much prefer the TH350 for better drive-ability.

I do not recall the large S-T-U-D-E-B-A-K-E-R script on the upper part of the trunk on mine, just the smaller script down lower, as this one also has. But the larger script looks nice, and makes it easier for non-Stude folks to know what they are looking at.

Scott, do you recall what condition the 283 was in when you had it?

Scott
11-27-2014, 08:20 PM
The engine ran fine after we put on new wires and I think a new condenser and maybe points. I don't remember any misses or smoke or anything. I think the oil was clean, but I had it changed anyway. The exhaust system needed some repair (it had some holes, I think). When we bought the car we did not hear it run and in fact had no idea if the car could run at all. I was very happy when with just a little work and a battery it proved to be in good shape. Because it was kept at the car shop so I could occasionally have more done to it, I actually only drove it about 10-15 miles. It was still a diamond in the rough, so it was not like driving it off the showroom floor for sure!

StudeNewby
11-27-2014, 09:34 PM
This car has been on CL for a while now. The current listing was posted 4 days ago, but I think its a relisting. The seller is asking $8995 there.
Personally, I love the color...it's so 1960s!
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/4774328533.html

Scott
11-27-2014, 10:34 PM
This trunk lid is the same as when I had the car. Here is a picture of it as it was when I had it and the new owner was about to drive to Georgia. Brave soul!

jclary
11-27-2014, 10:54 PM
I like the looks of the car. According to the ad, it is in Jefferson, N.C. That is in the high mountains, between Boone, and the Virginia state line. If it gets driven in that part of the country, it must have great brakes. The only flat straight smooth road in that part of the country, is by air.

candbstudebakers
11-28-2014, 01:45 AM
The trunk is off a 64 Daytona.

Warren Webb
11-28-2014, 03:08 AM
I agree with Bob. The 65 had a simple molding on the "peak" line between the tail lamps on the deck lid. Another very minor fault is the nameplates "Studebaker" & "Daytona" are reversed, although that can be fixed just by swapping them side to side since the pins are in the same location for both.

JoeHall
11-28-2014, 09:31 AM
On the 62GT, long ago I replaced the trunk overlay with one from a 63GT. The reason, so folks can easily read the "STUDEBAKER-HAWK" script on bottom of the overlay. I lost count of folks sitting at red lights, I'd seen in the rear view mirror, leaning forward into their windshield, trying to read the tiny "STUDEBAKER-HAWK" script on the 62's overlay. Yes, there have been purists at SDC meets who noticed it is incorrect. But they are minuscule in number, compared to millions on the road, who identified the car correctly by being able to read the 63's script.

Similarly, as a driver, the trunk on this ebay car would be OK with me, since folks can more easily see what they are looking at, due to the larger script. Both trunks look great, but the one on this car is, "incorrect", which may be a big deal to some. A purist is probably not gonna buy this car anyway, since it also has "incorrect" colored interior and exterior, engine bay, etc..

IMHO, as a driver it looks better than the 100 percent correct one I owned in the 1980s. The TH350 is also an upgrade as a driver. Without readable script, on the road, millions of folks could misidentify the car as a Rambler or something. To me, that is more of an issue, than being 100 percent "correct".

Scott
11-28-2014, 12:08 PM
I was aware that the trunk lid trim was from 1964 when I had the car, but I wasn't worrying about details, since I was just trying to get the car driveable. I actually have always liked the 1964 trunk trim better anyway. As far as I am aware, the transmission was changed after I sold the car. I remember it had a water cooled automatic when I had it and I'm 99% sure it was the original flightomatic.

JoeHall
11-28-2014, 01:18 PM
The water cooled FOM sounds correct.

I hope who ever buys it gets many miles of driving pleasure. Cannot say anything about that particular car, but that year & model is one of the best Stude drivers available today.

Does it have power steering? Looks like I can just make out the edge of the fluid reservoir cap, in one of the pix, but not sure.

jclary
11-28-2014, 02:19 PM
The water cooled FOM sounds correct.

Does it have power steering? Looks like I can just make out the edge of the fluid reservoir cap, in one of the pix, but not sure.

One of the craigslist ads says that it has power steering and manual brakes.

StudeRich
11-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Eventually, the seller will realize that it is very close to it's value right now at $3850.00, and if he removed the Reserve it would be gone.

JoeHall
11-28-2014, 05:01 PM
Eventually, the seller will realize that it is very close to it's value right now at $3850.00, and if he removed the Reserve it would be gone.

Its a little over $4000 now, and I am thinking it will go north of $5000. But I bet the seller has more than that in it, so the reserve may be higher than that.