The First Gran Turismo Hawk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Gran Turismo Hawk!

New Studebaker news! (to me anyway)....The very first Gran Turismo Hawk, (non-prototype), built by Studebaker still exists, and its owner is a member of the AOAI Forum! This Ermine White 1962 GT, serial #62V1001, and the GT Hawk that followed it down the production line, serial# 62V1002 were both originally factory showcars....A bit more info on this car can be found on the AOAI FORUM.
    Last edited by SN-60; 11-25-2014, 04:28 PM.

I believe that should read #62V1001 & 62V1002
    Last edited by 41 Frank; 11-26-2014, 11:53 AM. Reason: changed to complete body numbers
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
      I believe that should read #62V1001 & 1002
      Oops!....Thanks Frank!

Comment

Does that really matter? Celebrate the joy!
        1950 Commander Land Cruiser
        1951 Champion Business Coupe
        1951 Commander Starlight
        1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
        1953 Champion Starlight
        1953 Commander Starliner
        1953 2R5
        1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
        1957 Silver Hawk
        1957 3E5 Pick-Up
        1959 Silver Hawk
        1961 Hawk
        1962 Cruiser 4 speed
        1963 Daytona Convertible
        1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
        1965 Cruiser
        1970 Avanti

Comment

I don't see ANY problem with quoting the complete, proper Serial Numbers of BOTH Cars, why drop the 62V just because it is repetitive? Sometimes that happens in a very LONG list, but TWO!

Jeeze ! And some people say I am picky!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

According to advertisement they had a GT in 1961.
            Last edited by Carl Purdy; 11-25-2014, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Not really, only the Advertising Co. "had" a "GT" Hawk (in their Ad)!

If Studebaker had intended it to be called a Gran Turismo Hawk it would be in the Brochures, other Magazine Ads and ON the Cars!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree!....Mason was smooth in 'North by Northwest'. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Not really, only the Advertising Co. "had" a "GT" Hawk (in their Ad)!

If Studebaker had intended it to be called a Gran Turismo Hawk it would be in the Brochures, other Magazine Ads and ON the Cars!
                  That is correct, Rich. The 'Gran Turismo' name was used as an adjective for 1961, and a noun for 1962-4. BP also explained it in post #2 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...cturer+charger

Craig

Comment

Wasn't there somthing about the LAST gt hawk recently? do we now have the first and last?
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                      Wasn't there somthing about the LAST gt hawk recently? do we now have the first and last?
                      That one was the last supercharged Hawk; http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=SUPERHAWK Not the last, and final GT Hawk.

Craig

Comment

Not to nit pick post # 9, but I believe you are referring to Cary Grant in North By Northwest.
                        Bill

Comment

Mason was in that movie, too... as a bad guy...

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                          Not to nit pick post # 9, but I believe you are referring to Cary Grant in North By Northwest.
                          Bill
                          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                            New Studebaker news! (to me anyway)....The very first Gran Turismo Hawk, (non-prototype), built by Studebaker still exists, and its owner is a member of the AOAI Forum! This Ermine White 1962 GT, serial #62V1001, and the GT Hawk that followed it down the production line, serial# 62V1002 were both originally factory showcars....A bit more info on this car can be found on the AOAI FORUM.
                            It should be noted that these two cars are not just the first two Gran Turismo Hawks, but are also the first two South Bend assembled 1962 V8 Studebakers.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                              Mason was in that movie, too... as a bad guy...
                              Don't forget Captain Nemo in 20,000 leagues under the sea and the german general in the Blue Max,,,an elderly man by that time married to Ursula Andress (in the movie)...nice work if you could get it...regarding 61 Hawks many have argued both ways on the term Gran turismo...however it does seem that the 4 speed hawks were meant by someone to claim the term gran turismo...or Hawk GT a Hawk GT is a great car probably one of the nicest Hawks ever built and a real pleasure to drive...as a final question does anyone have any idea of the number of 61 4 speed hawks manufactured ??

Comment

Working...
                              X