What does the TT stand for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does the TT stand for

What does the TT in two interlocking circles emblem on a GT Hawk stand for?

Wayne
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

"Twin-Traction" aka: posi-traction.
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Twin Traction. Studebaker's name for Positive Traction
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Thanks. I didn't have a clue.

sigpic

Comment

Twin Traction - that was their name for a limited slip (similar to posi-traction) rear axle.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Looks like Kerry beat me to the draw! CURSES!
            Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
              Looks like Kerry beat me to the draw! CURSES!
              ha-ha! now one of y'all can tell Wayne what to look for on the "pumpkin" to make sure it's still there.
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Ok, what do I have to look for on the pumpkin to make sure the limited slip is still there?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wlfrench View Post
                  Ok, what do I have to look for on the pumpkin to make sure the limited slip is still there?
                  There MAY be a tag on the "pumpkin", but that will not assure that the TT is still there. Take out the fill plug. Stick your finger in. If it almost immediately hits something, the TT is in there. If there is a lot of space, the TT is not there.
                  You could also check by jacking up the car and revolving the wheels.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Get it in some soft sand and gun it. Both rear wheels should show spin marks. Even if it is still there doesn't mean it still works only way to tell for sure is to test it.

Comment

Packard had it first

IIRC, the '56 Packard was the first to offer the Dana-Spicer limited slip as an option.

Makes one wonder about the decision makers at S-P Engineering, because if any Stude ever needed TwinTraction, it was the '56J. Then, in '57 when the Golden Hawk had 1/3 less low end torque, they decided to offer the TwinTraction option.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                        IIRC, the '56 Packard was the first to offer the Dana-Spicer limited slip as an option.

Makes one wonder about the decision makers at S-P Engineering, because if any Stude ever needed TwinTraction, it was the '56J. Then, in '57 when the Golden Hawk had 1/3 less low end torque, they decided to offer the TwinTraction option.

jack vines
                        I understand that Packard had major problems with its 1956 limited slip axle.....No doubt by 1957 the 'bugs' were worked out, and Studebaker THEN decided to offer it as optional equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

jack vines
                          It was also available on 1956 2E series trucks. Stude ran full-page ads in several national magazines announcing its availability.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Should we have a poll for most asked question ever? Ya gotta love it. This would have to be in the top five.

Dean.

Comment

It seems SO obvious to us long time Studebaker owners, what with all of Studebakers' hyping it up over the years and all that, it is a "no brainer" for many of us, and hard to understand it being so confusing.

I guess you have to put yourself in the mindset of a 20-40 year old, or someone a bit older who grew up in a family that never mentioned the word Studebaker unless it was part of a joke!

Hmm, let's see, if you were born in 1974, that's ONLY 8 years AFTER the last Stude. was built.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X