2R5 170 Engine Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2R5 170 Engine Rebuild

I need help from experienced professionals such as members of The Forum to offer suggestions on rebuilding my 6 cylinder Champion Engine in my 51 Stude Truck! Questions: Can this engine be overhauled in frame? Reason for overhaul, found antifreeze in oil drain. I had the head resurfaced but have decided to complete overhaul. Any suggestions on how, who and where to have this project completed!

Yes, CASOs have been doing in-frame overhauls forever.

No, I'd never personally do anything beyond a valve reface in frame again.

Maybe, just put the resurfaced head back on, new gasket, proper torque and re-torque. Drive it a while, noting oil pressure, cold cranking and oil-added compression tests, watch the oil for coolant, the coolant for combustion leaks. Get back to us with what you find and then you'll get a more fact-based recommendation as to what your next steps should be.
    PackardV8

Comment

And welcome to the forum, Ronnie!
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If you have a shop manual, the procedures are pretty straight forward. A Champion engine is similar to many of that type. If there was water in the oil, I wouldn't try an in frame overhaul unless I was sure the problem was solved. That being said, lots of these engines have been given rings and bearings and continued to work.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum.

For a new member, you may need to know the meaning of CASO... =Cheap A$$ Studebaker Owner!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X