Avanti misinformation....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti misinformation....

How much is wrong with this eBay auction?

The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

It just so happens that my cousins former wife used to work for(Magnum-Royal Publications) the publishing house that ran a test on this very car....what the ad does not say was the car was originally white color, it was built for Robert Morrison the now deceased president of MFG (molded fiberglass products) I have to dig out the magazine and re-read the report, but the car was not a real good "go fast' car.....indeed Pacers Auto in Island Park New York, was given the task of getting some balls out of the 327, as it was a real dog....will look for all the info I have on the car. One more thing: 75K??????????
    Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
    How much is wrong with this eBay auction?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301406693008...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Last edited by Hawklover; 11-23-2014, 12:33 PM.

Comment

When it comes to custom, hand built speciality Cars like an Avanti II, pretty much NOTHING can be questioned as not correct original!

All Avanti II and later Avanti Motors, Avantis seem to have "Studebaker" in their eBay Adds somewhere, so that is not a problem.

I do not see much wrong with it, there were 4 Speed Avanti II's and a Prototype Performance Model with a Paxton, is not much of a stretch. In '67 they were still using 327's.

It may not be too accurate to make a General statement that they used GM and Ford Frames and Engines, without clarifying that there were what? only 5 Mustang framed Cars in the Last version at the end of the Corp.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

They also left me off the list of people who drove one.
        Jim
        Often in error, never in doubt
        http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I contacted the guy, and questioned the accuracy of the info in his listing.
          He is now asking for help...
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The serial number is RQA-0161. Last for sale ( I know of) is June 2006 with a similar story. A few years ago there was a video on Youtube, which tried to impart a high performance image but didn't hit the mark too well. The video was pulled 5 or 6 years ago.
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Is this the Avanti II from the Bud Lindeman Car and Driver video?
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Somewhere in the countless stacks of books on my desk is a engineering report on the engine setup I got from Avanti.
                If there is interest in this I will put it aside next time I clean up.
                Anyone that has been at my place can testify on this .

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  Is this the Avanti II from the Bud Lindeman Car and Driver video?
                  It certainly looks like it to me
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Are early Avanti II's really going for this kind of money?
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                      I contacted the guy, and questioned the accuracy of the info in his listing.
                      He is now asking for help...
                      This Avanti appears to be the one and only 'A' series Avanti ll that was fitted at the factory with a supercharger.....Frankly, it's a car that we'd all like to own. I really don't understand why anyone would want to criticize the car OR the ad????? (Am I missing something here)

Comment

Studebaker/Avanti misinformation... too bad our cars don't hold a corner on THAT market!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          This Avanti appears to be the one and only 'A' series Avanti ll that was fitted at the factory with a supercharger.....Frankly, it's a car that we'd all like to own. I really don't understand why anyone would want to criticize the car OR the ad????? (Am I missing something here)
                          While it is a interesting car, frankly it is not one I would want to own. The Altmans made a decision to eliminate the rake, and the story was it was necessary in order to fit the Chevy engine. A Chevy engine with a stock intake manifold or Edelbrock Performer will fit under the hood with a R1 air cleaner. Mounting a Paxton the way it was done on this car is quite frankly a joke. It could have been mounted on the engine and not have needed the large bubble on the hood.
                          The factory needed some hot rodder's on staff to solve some of their engineering problems.

Bob Caser
                          mrbobinc

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
                            While it is a interesting car, frankly it is not one I would want to own. The Altmans made a decision to eliminate the rake, and the story was it was necessary in order to fit the Chevy engine. A Chevy engine with a stock intake manifold or Edelbrock Performer will fit under the hood with a R1 air cleaner. Mounting a Paxton the way it was done on this car is quite frankly a joke. It could have been mounted on the engine and not have needed the large bubble on the hood.
                            The factory needed some hot rodder's on staff to solve some of their engineering problems.

Bob Caser
                            Bob you're absolutely correct about that factory blower mounting....Here's how a friend of mine installed a Paxton on his 283 powered '63 Avanti....
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

It may not be too accurate to make a General statement that they used GM and Ford Frames and Engines, without clarifying that there were what? only 5 Mustang framed Cars in the Last version at the end of the Corp.
                              There were 38-40 Ford Mustang based Avantis built for the 2005-2007 model years.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X