PDA

View Full Version : 1959 Scotsman, I think?

ironhead1
11-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Hello, and thank you for accepting me to this great forum! I have a chance to purchase what I believe is a 1959 Scotsman pickup. It is in pretty good shape except for extensive rust to the step plate and seat riser area. And, unfortunately, the serial number has went by the wayside with the rust. I am a welder fabricator by trade, so the rust doesn't bother me, as I know I can repair the rusted area. My question is: Is there any other location with a serial # stamped on this truck, maybe to the frame? Just wondering if would be a waste of my time pursuing it any further. The truck has been sitting for 30 years, left at this location by a previous owner, and the current owner knows nothing about it. Thanks in advance for your input.

BobPalma
11-21-2014, 06:39 PM
The Serial Number plate should be affixed to the driver seat riser, right below the driver's left thigh. It should be visible by opening the door and looking straight in against the side of the seat frame.

Yes, it is a Scotsman pickup. :) :!: BP

ironhead1
11-21-2014, 06:42 PM
The Serial Number plate should be affixed to the driver seat riser, right below the driver's left thigh. It should be visible by opening the door and looking straight in against the side of the seat frame.

Yes, it is a Scotsman pickup. :) :!: BP That's the problem that whole area is missing, no serial number plate.

57pack
11-21-2014, 07:17 PM
Do pickup trucks have that secret serial number stamped in the rearmost cross member like the car line?

ironhead1
11-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Do pickup trucks have that secret serial number stamped in the rearmost cross member like the car line?
I was hoping someone would know of some secret stamping.

studeclunker
11-21-2014, 11:44 PM
There's a lot of bondo on that right fender. You say the seat riser is missing... completely?? Gosh, if the truck is that rusty, it might be a good one to avoid. On the other hand, the outside looks pretty good. Was the seat riser perhaps cut away for some reason?

StudeRich
11-21-2014, 11:45 PM
They DO NOT have a Second Serial Number Location! You are pretty much screwed! :(

In most States the hard way is to re-register it without a Title until enough time has passed for the owner to claim it, and then you can get the Title.

Sometimes they will give you a State registered VIN # sticker to re-serialize it.

I believe in Calif. it is as easy as sending a letter/Form to the last registered address with a return receipt of delivery, if it comes back, you take those papers to the DMV.

And then there are the Title re-creators in other States, that for enough $ can do anything!

Best to check with your GA Dept. of Licensing.

kurtruk
11-21-2014, 11:47 PM
If you're new to Studebakers, look what's available in replacement sheetmetal for that truck: http://www.classicent.com/studebaker/pickups/c-cab

I'm sure there's solutions to lack of a serial number.

StudeRich
11-21-2014, 11:54 PM
This has probably been beaten to death at some time on the Forum, but are we totally dismissing the idea that ANY trucks ever had a secret serial number? Please see my post #6.

Usually we are talking about what MOST of us have, POST WAR Studes. unless otherwise noted.
We are not aware of any Trucks in that category with a Frame Serial Number.

ironhead1
11-22-2014, 06:51 AM
I really appreciate all of your comments and suggestions, I think I am going to get the truck anyway. I know I can get it registered, was hoping to keep original with serial # since it looks like they are not many of these trucks of this year around. How many are known to exist today? Anyway, still worth 500 bucks.

Skip Lackie
11-22-2014, 08:13 AM
There are still a number of complete NOS truck floor pans floating around -- I just sold one this year. If you're an accomplished welder, the replacement of the whole floor assembly might be easier than attaching patch panels. Second, it's pretty much the consensus of the truck folks that there is no secret serial number stamped on Stude trucks. I sandblasted the entire frame of my 54 3R6 two years ago and found nothing except for some (presumably) Budd part numbers on the top of a couple of the middle cross members -- nothing else. I have also done the same with several truck radiator saddles and found no numbers of any kind.

8E45E
11-22-2014, 08:18 AM
If it has the original engine, you can back-track from the engine number. The production order has both the serial number and the engine number on it, and can be determined this way.

Craig

doublepaddle
11-22-2014, 10:46 AM
I have a '57 Transtar. When I had the engine out and front nose off, I found the serial number stamped into the frame. I do not remember where on the frame just that I found it when striping and painting the front of the frame. Do not know if this is true for all C-cabs but it wouldn't hurt to look!

rkapteyn
11-22-2014, 11:17 AM
There should be a body tag under the hood on the passenger side on the firewall.

Robert Kapteyn

Skip Lackie
11-22-2014, 11:24 AM
There should be a body tag under the hood on the passenger side on the firewall.

Robert Kapteyn
That's true on Champs, but not on C-cabs -- the body tag is to the rear of the vehicle serial plate, but facing forward. In any case, it doesn't include the vehicle serial number -- just the cab serial number, paint colors, etc.

Pentax645
11-22-2014, 12:11 PM
If you have the VIN, you can order a build sheet from the Studebaker museum in South Bend. I'm almost sure there is a person on Ebay who makes ID plates. Just search Studebaker plates or trucks.

ironhead1
11-23-2014, 05:37 AM
If you have the VIN, you can order a build sheet from the Studebaker museum in South Bend. I'm almost sure there is a person on Ebay who makes ID plates. Just search Studebaker plates or trucks.
I don't have a VIN, serial, or any # for it.

57pack
11-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Have you removed the front seat and looked for papers stuffed in the springs?
Many years ago I had a brand X which the serial number plate was lost.
When I went to get it inspected it was noticed and I was sent to Concord.
There a Trooper removed my rear seat and found factory paperwork stuffed in the springs.
He removed this paperwork and in a hour or so (no computers then) came back with a new plate and rivited on my car.
That was in 1962, wonder if Studebaker may have followed this protocol as well?

jackb
11-23-2014, 10:43 AM
or......find a rusted out 55-59 truck with good number tags and a registration....then go from there...

s2d63lark
11-23-2014, 12:04 PM
I really appreciate all of your comments and suggestions, I think I am going to get the truck anyway. I know I can get it registered, was hoping to keep original with serial # since it looks like they are not many of these trucks of this year around. How many are known to exist today? Anyway, still worth 500 bucks.

Hop over to the Studebaker Truck Talk forum http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/ and do a search for "scotsman". Frank Drumheller maintains a register of known scotsman pickups and might be able to help you out if the truck is already on it.

Your find could be a 4E-1 or 4E-3 if it has a 6 cylinder engine or a 4E-2 if it has a V-8. In any case, Frank can answer your question of known survivors.

Doug

ironhead1
11-23-2014, 06:38 PM
Checked under the seat, if it was there, the rodents got to it first. Thanks for the info though.

ironhead1
11-23-2014, 06:44 PM
Hop over to the Studebaker Truck Talk forum http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/ and do a search for "scotsman". Frank Drumheller maintains a register of known scotsman pickups and might be able to help you out if the truck is already on it.

Your find could be a 4E-1 or 4E-3 if it has a 6 cylinder engine or a 4E-2 if it has a V-8. In any case, Frank can answer your question of known survivors.

DougThanks, it is a V-8 engine, but I don't know if it's the original though.

57pack
11-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Checked under the seat, if it was there, the rodents got to it first. Thanks for the info though.

Was worth a try! Their relatives ate a lot of my Packard as well!:lol:

Skip Lackie
11-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Have you removed the front seat and looked for papers stuffed in the springs?
Many years ago I had a brand X which the serial number plate was lost.
When I went to get it inspected it was noticed and I was sent to Concord.
There a Trooper removed my rear seat and found factory paperwork stuffed in the springs.
He removed this paperwork and in a hour or so (no computers then) came back with a new plate and rivited on my car.
That was in 1962, wonder if Studebaker may have followed this protocol as well?

That's common practice on (at least) GM products, but seems unusual on a Stude. That said, I did own a 59 Lark that had a very soggy copy of the production order under the rear carpet.

Son O Lark
11-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Look for an old license plate registration paper. It may be on it.

Mrs K Corbin
11-24-2014, 02:02 PM
Many States used the engine serial# as the vehicle ser#...... My 2r5 had this done in Oklahoma way back then.....

I've been meaning to change to a V8, so I'd have to put the # on my spare ser# plate that I ordered and then mount it.....

Soon as my 'round TUITS arrive....

There's always a way around the ser# issue.... As long as the truck's worth rebuilding....

for $500 you're not hurt at any rate, I'd have bought it myself for that just for the spare parts.

Speakin of which, he got another one?

ironhead1
11-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Many States used the engine serial# as the vehicle ser#...... My 2r5 had this done in Oklahoma way back then.....

I've been meaning to change to a V8, so I'd have to put the # on my spare ser# plate that I ordered and then mount it.....

Soon as my 'round TUITS arrive....

There's always a way around the ser# issue.... As long as the truck's worth rebuilding....

for $500 you're not hurt at any rate, I'd have bought it myself for that just for the spare parts.

Speakin of which, he got another one? Sorry, he doesn't have another one, I'd buy it too just for the serial number plate!

ironhead1
11-24-2014, 06:36 PM
I got to take a look at the engine serial # today, and it looks nothing like it should for the 59 Scotsman.
The numbers I have on the machine part of the engine on the right is: V431399 and the stamping # on the left is: 535601
Anybody got any idea what engine this is?

Skip Lackie
11-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Engine number V431399 is a 259 that started out life in a 1959 Lark.

ironhead1
11-25-2014, 04:42 AM
Engine number V431399 is a 259 that started out life in a 1959 Lark.Oh well, was hoping it was the original engine. Search continues. Maybe I'll find someone selling a "historical document" or a serial # plate for this vehicle. Gonna pick it up today anyway.

Mrs K Corbin
11-26-2014, 10:52 AM
You can get blank ser# plates on Feebay... That's where i got mine.... I'm putting my engine ser# on it, as my title is from engine ser#....

I'd back-track that inspection sticker and see what you can find out. Also, you can put a "lein" on it as abandoned, and it becomes yours after a time, but not sure of Georgias laws on that.

Mrs K Corbin
11-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Take your pics of the truck and talk to your friendly GA Title agent/Tax/Tag office.

Roscomacaw
11-26-2014, 11:20 AM
I have a few serial number plates for trucks. The only 59 tag I have is for a 4E40 which would be a 2ton beast. That said, I doubt the DMV is aware of what a 40 series truck was/is. You could have this plate for postage if you wanted it. It's exactly the same sort of plate as a 4E1 or 2 would wear - only the numbers "40" would be in error.

ironhead1
11-27-2014, 05:09 AM
I have a few serial number plates for trucks. The only 59 tag I have is for a 4E40 which would be a 2ton beast. That said, I doubt the DMV is aware of what a 40 series truck was/is. You could have this plate for postage if you wanted it. It's exactly the same sort of plate as a 4E1 or 2 would wear - only the numbers "40" would be in error. Sent you a pm.