1959 Scotsman, I think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Scotsman, I think?

Hello, and thank you for accepting me to this great forum! I have a chance to purchase what I believe is a 1959 Scotsman pickup. It is in pretty good shape except for extensive rust to the step plate and seat riser area. And, unfortunately, the serial number has went by the wayside with the rust. I am a welder fabricator by trade, so the rust doesn't bother me, as I know I can repair the rusted area. My question is: Is there any other location with a serial # stamped on this truck, maybe to the frame? Just wondering if would be a waste of my time pursuing it any further. The truck has been sitting for 30 years, left at this location by a previous owner, and the current owner knows nothing about it. Thanks in advance for your input.
    Attached Files

The Serial Number plate should be affixed to the driver seat riser, right below the driver's left thigh. It should be visible by opening the door and looking straight in against the side of the seat frame.

Yes, it is a Scotsman pickup. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      The Serial Number plate should be affixed to the driver seat riser, right below the driver's left thigh. It should be visible by opening the door and looking straight in against the side of the seat frame.

Yes, it is a Scotsman pickup. BP
      That's the problem that whole area is missing, no serial number plate.

Comment

Do pickup trucks have that secret serial number stamped in the rearmost cross member like the car line?
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
          Do pickup trucks have that secret serial number stamped in the rearmost cross member like the car line?
          I was hoping someone would know of some secret stamping.

Comment

There's a lot of bondo on that right fender. You say the seat riser is missing... completely?? Gosh, if the truck is that rusty, it might be a good one to avoid. On the other hand, the outside looks pretty good. Was the seat riser perhaps cut away for some reason?
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

They DO NOT have a Second Serial Number Location! You are pretty much screwed!

In most States the hard way is to re-register it without a Title until enough time has passed for the owner to claim it, and then you can get the Title.

Sometimes they will give you a State registered VIN # sticker to re-serialize it.

I believe in Calif. it is as easy as sending a letter/Form to the last registered address with a return receipt of delivery, if it comes back, you take those papers to the DMV.

And then there are the Title re-creators in other States, that for enough $ can do anything!

Best to check with your GA Dept. of Licensing.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you're new to Studebakers, look what's available in replacement sheetmetal for that truck: http://www.classicent.com/studebaker/pickups/c-cab

I'm sure there's solutions to lack of a serial number.
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Stanwood
                  This has probably been beaten to death at some time on the Forum, but are we totally dismissing the idea that ANY trucks ever had a secret serial number? Please see my post #6.
                  Usually we are talking about what MOST of us have, POST WAR Studes. unless otherwise noted.
                  We are not aware of any Trucks in that category with a Frame Serial Number.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I really appreciate all of your comments and suggestions, I think I am going to get the truck anyway. I know I can get it registered, was hoping to keep original with serial # since it looks like they are not many of these trucks of this year around. How many are known to exist today? Anyway, still worth 500 bucks.

Comment

There are still a number of complete NOS truck floor pans floating around -- I just sold one this year. If you're an accomplished welder, the replacement of the whole floor assembly might be easier than attaching patch panels. Second, it's pretty much the consensus of the truck folks that there is no secret serial number stamped on Stude trucks. I sandblasted the entire frame of my 54 3R6 two years ago and found nothing except for some (presumably) Budd part numbers on the top of a couple of the middle cross members -- nothing else. I have also done the same with several truck radiator saddles and found no numbers of any kind.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

If it has the original engine, you can back-track from the engine number. The production order has both the serial number and the engine number on it, and can be determined this way.

Craig

Comment

I have a '57 Transtar. When I had the engine out and front nose off, I found the serial number stamped into the frame. I do not remember where on the frame just that I found it when striping and painting the front of the frame. Do not know if this is true for all C-cabs but it wouldn't hurt to look!

Comment

There should be a body tag under the hood on the passenger side on the firewall.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                              There should be a body tag under the hood on the passenger side on the firewall.

Robert Kapteyn
                              That's true on Champs, but not on C-cabs -- the body tag is to the rear of the vehicle serial plate, but facing forward. In any case, it doesn't include the vehicle serial number -- just the cab serial number, paint colors, etc.
                              Last edited by Skip Lackie; 11-26-2014, 06:32 AM.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X