PDA

View Full Version : Hawk door panel question

JimK
11-20-2014, 01:45 PM
?Iím in the process of replacing the door locks on my Hawk. The attached photo is of one of the door panels, which are not original (but Iím not knocking them; I donít know whose they are). What I found is that the door handles and window cranks were installed with only the escutcheons, not with the springs, spacers, and separators that are called out in the Body Parts Catalog. In the photos you can see where the old escutcheons were pressed into the vinyl, and that the clearance holes are just large enough to pass over the mounts for the handles. There clearly was not enough room to include all of the other pieces.

So hereís my question: did the original door panels have holes large enough for all those pieces to sit within the holes, or is everything supposed to be on top of the vinyl?

Thanks for any insight here-

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt44/knhawk63/Hawk/IMG_1180.jpg

ivorydan
11-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Hey Jim: not sure which year you have, but on 62-64 Hawks the holes were like what you picture. There was a clear plastic escutcheon and a very thin flat nylon washer. These sat on top of the panel, the escutcheon fitting into that depression you see, the washer onto the escutcheon and the handle or crank pushed down onto the stem and held on with a curved type wire clip pushed into a depression on the side of the handle or crank. Dan

RadioRoy
11-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Your door panels look original to me, but I do not know what year they are.

The coil spring goes between the door panel and the steel door - narrow end towards the steel and wide end towards the cardboard. That pushes the cardboard door panel out to sit close/tight to the handles and escutcheons.

The only thing that goes through the cardboard is the shaft that the handle attaches to.

The escutcheon, washer, and handle sit outside the door panel.

swvalcon
11-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Looks like you have a rebuilt panel for a 62-63 gt. Factory didn't sew the pleats. 64 the pleats went the other way on the door. Si should have all the parts you need to finish off the panel to door handles.

JimK
11-21-2014, 01:04 AM
Thanks everybody- this is a big help. BTW it is the 63 GT in my sig photo I'm working on. It could be that my repro panel is thicker than the original cardboard - what I have appears to be some kind of foam insulation, and getting all those pieces in place and the handles clipped on could be tough. I don't know if the panel was done by a upholstery shop or is a home brew, although it is pretty nice overall.