Packard Club members: Big Treat Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard Club members: Big Treat Coming

Those if us who are also members of Packard Automobile Classics are in for a Big Treat: The Fourth Quarter 2014 (#157) edition of The Packard Cormorant is in the mail and being received. Mine arrived today and is among the most interesting editions ever, cover to cover.

'Several Studebaker mentions in the course of reporting the Packard dealer organization and number of dealers through the years. From 23 dealers in 1910 to a peak of 2,346 in 1939, the number had cratered to "about 400" when the 1958 models were introduced. Not that those 400 or so dealers expected to sell that many Studebaker-based 1958 Packards, but they were likely making a living servicing the remaining "real" Packards still in daily use.

(And if we think 400 is a low number, I once read where there were still three (3) exclusively Edsel dealerships still on the books when the 1960 Edsel was introduced! Most, of course, were dualed with Mercury and even Ford by then.)

Anyway, an unusually-interesting issue of The Packard Cormorant is on its way if you are a PAC member.

An aside concerning the public's knowledge of our old cars: I had my teeth cleaned yesterday and the young tech engaged me in chit-chat. In the course of that, I commented that my father, at age 97.5 as of October 14, is thought to be the sole surviving Packard automobile dealer. She was nice enough about it, but even after several probing questions that might have jarred any residual knowledge she might have, still had to confess that she had no idea there had ever been an automobile named Packard! (To her credit though, she did not ask, "Who made them?" BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Those if us who are also members of Packard Automobile Classics are in for a Big Treat: The Fourth Quarter 2014 (#157) edition of The Packard Cormorant is in the mail and being received. Mine arrived today and is among the most interesting editions ever, cover to cover.

'Several Studebaker mentions in the course of reporting the Packard dealer organization and number of dealers through the years. From 23 dealers in 1910 to a peak of 2,346 in 1939, the number had cratered to "about 400" when the 1958 models were introduced. Not that those 400 or so dealers expected to sell that many Studebaker-based 1958 Packards, but they were likely making a living servicing the remaining "real" Packards still in daily use.

(And if we think 400 is a low number, I once read where there were still three (3) exclusively Edsel dealerships still on the books when the 1960 Edsel was introduced! Most, of course, were dualed with Mercury and even Ford by then.)

Anyway, an unusually-interesting issue of The Packard Cormorant is on its way if you are a PAC member.

An aside concerning the public's knowledge of our old cars: I had my teeth cleaned yesterday and the young tech engaged me in chit-chat. In the course of that, I commented that my father, at age 97.5 as of October 14, is thought to be the sole surviving Packard automobile dealer. She was nice enough about it, but even after several probing questions that might have jarred any residual knowledge she might have, still had to confess that she had no idea there had ever been an automobile named Packard! (To her credit though, she did not ask, "Who made them?" BP
    How about this for a coincidence Bob. I had my teeth cleaned yesterday as well. But my tech (also female) only wanted to make me comfortable and talk about the rotten weather that was on the way. Maybe I should start talking about cars the next time I'm there.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Hmmmm, you guys are big and brave, I usually lay there stiff as a board and try not to cry like a little girl, ha ! I can NEVER remember what the gal talked about, just clear the building quickly while Karen pays the bill !

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
        How about this for a coincidence Bob. I had my teeth cleaned yesterday as well. But my tech (also female) only wanted to make me comfortable and talk about the rotten weather that was on the way. Maybe I should start talking about cars the next time I'm there.

Stu Chapman
        I usually bring up cars. The young lady that I had a year ago really got into the discussion and showed me pictures of her Barracuda.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bob - I assume that "about 400" number is Packard exclusive dealers and does not count the dealers dualed with Studebaker or others. If that is the case, is the total number of dealers selling Packards at the begining of the 1958 model year known?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            Bob - I assume that "about 400" number is Packard exclusive dealers and does not count the dealers dualed with Studebaker or others. If that is the case, is the total number of dealers selling Packards at the begining of the 1958 model year known?
            That would also be my understanding, Gary; those remaining Packard dealers that were not dualed with Studebaker by the fall of 1957. Realistically, intro day for the 1958 Packards was, what, maybe 18 months after the last real Packard had been built in Detroit? Many guys could survive that long on service and residual business...and who knows how many may have been dialed with another make, other than Studebaker? BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Our local Packard dealer dualed with Edsel and BMC ( British Motor Corp.) in 1958.
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
              X