new pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: new pads

I posted on another thread, and I decided this is too good to be buried .
    EBC brakes makes pads that fit Avanti (Studebaker) disc brakes.
    They are far, far, superior than ANY that ANY vendor is currently selling.
    Did I say ANY????? YES!!!!!
    EBC GreenStuff Pads......Catalog # DP2120 For Jag XKE's
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

here is the company website:http://ebcbrakes.com/product/greenstuff-brake-pads/
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

When Lew drove his 63 to South Bend several weeks ago he was telling us that the brakes were better than ever since he installed those pads. He said they had a better feel and definitely better braking.
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

It's certainly about time someone made disc pads for the Avanti (really Jaguar) application using modern brake pad technology.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Did you use the 2000 or 6000 Material Pads? It appears that the 2000 may be for quite Light cars, European Sports Cars it says.
          It appears they have coined a New word, we may have to have them define what a "Hot Hatch" is?

If it is about the Trunk Lid, I don't think it matters if you have a Notchback, Fastback or Hatchback Car, when it comes to Brakes it is the Weight and intended use that matters.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 11-19-2014, 08:26 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It's about the gripping power of the compound the pads don't know the weight of the car EBC classifies their pads by color.......Green Stuff, Yellow Stuff, and Red Stuff.
            Their names (not mine). I think it's classified as to temperature ratings and intended use, (track or street etc.)
            Their Green Stuff is what I used on my 2500 HD Silverado, and it was like a whole different truck after installing them, Lew had the same experience on his Avanti.
            Last edited by bezhawk; 11-20-2014, 06:27 AM.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Good to know, but as I have three NOS Girling pad sets, and an almost new set in the car from 15 yrs ago with only 5K miles on them, I doubt I'll be looking to upgrade:-).........better to put new KYB shocks on the car:-)

Comment

Well Hawklover, it looks like YOU are in good shape for Brake Pads, not everyone has a pile of old Asbestos Brake Pads still sitting around, those could surpass all others in stopping and lasting compared to Cellulous.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Well Hawklover, it looks like YOU are in good shape for Brake Pads, not everyone has a pile of old Asbestos Brake Pads still sitting around, those could surpass all others in stopping and lasting compared to Cellulous.
                  I seriously doubt the OEMs stop any better, and the new ones come without the shrill screech and cancer causing asbestos.

I have posted several times here how much better modern pads are, e.g. "Hawk" brand HPS (High Performance Street) pads. But there are lots of others, for the Turner kits and 12" "police" kits (which I prefer). Glad to hear more efficient pads are finally available for the OEM disc brakes.

Now, if someone would just reline Stude shoes with a similar material, instead of the currently used, ground up newspaper, or whatever it is.
                  Last edited by JoeHall; 11-20-2014, 05:58 PM.

Comment

As far as relining brake shoes.
                    Chevy brake shoes are available relined with Kevlar.
                    Did anyone look into doing Stude shoes like that?

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                      I seriously doubt the OEMs stop any better, and the new ones come without the shrill screech and cancer causing asbestos.

I have posted several times here how much better modern pads are, e.g. "Hawk" brand HPS (High Performance Street) pads. But there are lots of others, for the Turner kits and 12" "police" kits (which I prefer). Glad to hear more efficient pads are finally available for the OEM disc brakes.

Now, if someone would just reline Stude shoes with a similar material, instead of the currently used, ground up newspaper, or whatever it is.
                      Take your old shoes to a competent shop that relines shoes. You can pick your material. They can order whatever you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
                        Take your old shoes to a competent shop that relines shoes. You can pick your material. They can order whatever you want.
                        Unfortunately, that doesn't work for the subject: "Disc Pads" since they are never relined.
                        StudeRich
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Joe I have had my Avanti since 1966 and I have to tell you the brakes never ever made noise or screech as you call it. As to what is better?......well for a car that is driven no more than 500 miles per year on average coupled with the fact the pads on the car (Girling/Dunlop) have about 5k on them from over 20 yrs ago, stepping up to a "better" pad would be a "point of diminishing return issue" So yes my three sets of 1966 era pads may have some asbestos in them, but so what? :-)
                          Originally posted by JoeHall View Post

Comment

Working...
                          X