No announcement yet.

Poor gauge lighting in '51 Commander.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Poor gauge lighting in '51 Commander.

As I don't drive my '51 Starlight at night much this isn't a huge issue, but it is still annoying when I do. The number and graduation lines on all the gauges are very hard to read, I gather from loss of their luminesence over the years. I've looked into brighter bulbs but the way the instrument cluster is designed the bulb itself doesn't do the the main lighting, the luminescence does therefore the problem. Has anyone found a way around this problem? I have toyed with the idea of fitting LEDs to the front outside bottom of the gauges shining in, but the wire running over the chrome stip would be a bad look. I guess I could fit it to the top of the steering column just as it comes out of the dash and disguise it with something?? (I just thought of that)..
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Matt
    Brisbane
    Australia
    sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Matt,

Can't imagine how many times over the years this subject has been discussed.
    I just did a quick "Advanced Search" on Dim Dash Lights and got 24 hits, Using other words would provide more.

Here's just one that seems to address the issue from several directions.

Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I bought a pocket-size LED UV flashlight at a hardware store in Arizona for 5 bucks. They sell them to people for searching out and squashing scorpions, which light up under UV. Bet you could find the same thing in Australia. Try one on the dash gauges on a dark night, and see if it works. If so, you could take one apart and distribute its LEDs around inside the instrument housings. The flashlights run on 4.5 volts from three AAA cells, but they would likely run fine on six volts with a suitable dropping resistor.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
        Matt,

Can't imagine how many times over the years this subject has been discussed.
        I just did a quick "Advanced Search" on Dim Dash Lights and got 24 hits, Using other words would provide more.

Here's just one that seems to address the issue from several directions.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ash+lights+dim
        It may be because I'm in the southern hemisphere, but I did do a search before posting and nothing came up. I've seen posters on this forum get savaged for daring not to do a 'search' before asking a question before. However Rockne10 you did it nicely, thank you for the link. ;-)

UPDATE: I had a read of the many posts, and yes it a common problem. I'm going to try a different fix that won't require the removal of the instrument cluster - done that before NOT FUN! I'll try and fit some sort of lighting device to steering column as I mentioned previously. I'll take pics and put up if successful.
        Thanks guys
        Last edited by Aussie Hawk; 11-18-2014, 10:59 PM.
        Matt
        Brisbane
        Australia
        sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

I repainted parts of mine with new luminescent paint some years ago. I know that this is not your intent, but if you do eventually go that route, be aware that the paint is heavy, and the tip of the needle needs to weigh only what it weighs now.

Mine is slow to come off the peg and on the rare occasion I get going over whatever speed is at the top of the speedo, the needle drops to the other side too far.

In other words, the tip being too heavy messes with the balance of the mechanism.

And the speedo wasn't all that accurate to begin with.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I think the LED in ultra violet is a fantastic idea! (cuz I recommended it a couple of years ago) If you remove the dark glass filters on the existing bulbs, they should work well.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              I think the LED in ultra violet is a fantastic idea! (cuz I recommended it a couple of years ago) If you remove the dark glass filters on the existing bulbs, they should work well.
              That sounds like one solution, the Dark Purple Lens has to dim the Light a lot.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Simply removing the glass filters should work but, I would definitely add a rheostat to adjust the light volume emitted; and there is no adjustment in the '51. I really hate driving at night when the dash is brighter than the road I'm traveling. I have a rheostat I removed from a '63 Lark. I will probably install it in my '51 one of these days.
                Brad Johnson,
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for bringing this up again AussieHawk, as that was just the kick in the rear I needed.

My '51 Champion's dash lights were non-existent, so stopped in at RadioShack and picked up a couple of UV LEDs plus some 150 ohm resistors. Made a little test light to see how well my original instrument panel would light up. Putting the test light where the driver's head normally is, the panel lit up so bright that I would find it objectionable if driving. Five minutes after shutting the test light off, there was still a faint glow from the panel.

Next, I crawled under the dash and started pulling bulbs to try the test lamp in each of the 4 holes. " @#$%^&*" All 4 bulbs were of different vintage and ALL were burned out, hence my non-existent dash lights.

I found that pointing the test lamp LED straight into the side holes (Ammeter/Fuel,Oil/Temp ) gave me just the brightness I want, about like an incadescent #55. Bending the LED 90degrees and holding it in the speedometer light holes, aimed somewhere between the odometer and 50mph gave great lighting.

All my tests were with the glass UV tubes/filters in place. As they say, your mileage may vary.

BUT, I think I'll just go invest another $4.00 in new #55 bulbs and skip trying to fabricate LED holders which would hold the bulbs at exactly the correct angle. Haven't we all learned that properly restored, exact copy of original is the best, anyway. But then those LED brake/tail lights sound oh so interesting and they would be brighter wouldn't they.

Oh what a slippery slope, first it was radial tires, and then fancy bright lights. Pretty soon the poor car will be getting a SBC.

Comment

I am running 12 volt, but had people tell me since my truck was red , it was hard to see the tail lights , I added Led to the upper bed and have brite 1157 in lower tail lights . The Leds do help . Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker brake lights 003.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1692969
                    Randy Wilkin
                    1946 M5 Streetrod
                    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Best improvement to tail lights, other than good grounds, is to paint the interior of the housing white. It reflects much better than bare metal, silver or dirty rusted housings.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                      X