t5 conversion for an early 1962 Hawk 4 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: t5 conversion for an early 1962 Hawk 4 speed

Hi. After 40 years as a "mustang guy" I have seen the light and switched to Studebakers. Unfortunately my Studebaker knowledge going in was ZERO. Ive been searching but cannot seem to find a definitive all inclusive answer to this question: I have a 1962 Hawk with the GM (chev) pattern T 10 4 speed transmission. I believe I can install a GM T5 tranny without using an adaptor if I use a tranny with the same bolt pattern ( tranny to bellhousing). I realize I need a pilot bushing and a throwout bearing but I am stumped by what years, type ( truck, car etc) T 5 to look for, how to rig up the speedometer and what alterations I need to make to the tranny tunnel for the shifter and/or tranny clearance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Dean 505-414-0617

Welcome, Dean. The GT Hawks are among the best Studebaker ever built.

The T5 swap has been covered here several times. One of our members makes a kit with most of the parts needed for this. A search will turn up the applicable threads.

As to which T5, there are at least fifty variants; an internet search will give you days and weeks of reading as to gear ratios, torque ratings, which to look for and which to avoid.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Dean; You need a 85 up S10, T5. The S10's were the only Chev's to use a long input shaft and bearing retainer. Other than the pilot bearing and having to use a hydraulic clutch or make a sleeve to press over the bearing retainer. The Chev uses a 1 3/8" throwout bearing ID and the Stude uses an 1 1/2".

Comment

You should be aware that the later transmissions are set up for electronic speedometers. It is possible to convert the later transmissions back to mechanical drive or there is a company in Arkansas that makes an adapter to convert the electronic signal to a cable drive. My brother used an 88 model transmission with the adapter in his truck because he didn't want to change the speedometer. The nice thing about the adapter is that it can be adjusted for any rear gear ratio.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks for the quick and informative replies. I agree, my Hawk runs and drives much better then any of the 65-69 Mustangs Ive had. Its hard to believe that with cars as good as these Studebaker went under. Phil Harris has told me he has both the pilot bushing and the correct throw out bearing so I guess Its just a matter of hanging the T5 onto my OEM bellhousing work out a speedo hookup and hit the road. I understand I have to chop out an opening for the shifter due its central and further back location.

Comment

Just use a hole saw to make the hole in the floor. But after you set the tranny in place to locate it properly.

Comment

Anybody know which member makes the swap kit?
              I keep trying to shift into the nonexistent fifth gear in my hawk
              sigpic 62 Hawk - Wisconsin barn find

Comment

Originally posted by santa View Post
                Anybody know which member makes the swap kit?
                I keep trying to shift into the nonexistent fifth gear in my hawk
                Dan Giblin. Gibbsr1 on the forum. Send him a PM. Nice kit. I used it for the 5-speed in my 60 Hawk. Here's a thread showing the kit:
                sigpic
                Bob Shaw
                Rush City, Minnesota
                1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Dan apparently no longer markets this kit. He referred me to Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker. Have a question though. Apparently you have to use the 85 and up Chev. S10 tranny if you want it just "bolt up" to the existing chev. pattern bell housing but weren't all the S10's 4 or 6 cylinder engines? Will that tranny stand up to a healthy 289? I might just buy the apaptor and go with a ford t5.

Comment

The S10 had a V8 but I don't remember what year they started at. A 6 banger tranny is good enough for a warm 289. I used to drag race with a T50 out of a 1980 Chev. Monza behind a healthy 232 that turned low 14's in a 53K.

Comment

DO NOT use a T5 from an S-10. You need one from a V-8 car. The T5's used behind the V-8's are stronger and have better gear ratio's. I recommend you find one used in a late 80's to early 90's Firebird/Trans-Am/Camaro. They used the mechanical speedo (I don't remember the exact year they went to the electronic speedo, it was somewhere around 93-96) and have a 2.95 first gear with a 0.72 overdrive. If your car has a 3.31 rear axle this will give you a quicker take-off than you have now and a good overdrive ratio for highway cruising. The WC (world class) versions are stronger than the NWC (non-world class) versions but the NWC from a V-8 is just as strong as the transmission you have now and they are cheaper. I have done two of these conversions so I can probably answer most of your questions. Of course if money isn't a big concern you can buy an overdrive unit from gearvendors.com it bolts in place of the tailhousing on the T-10 and is practically indestructible but it will cost you $3000. Best of luck to you.

Joe
                      sigpic

1962 Daytona
                      1964 Cruiser
                      And a few others

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                        The S10 had a V8 but I don't remember what year they started at. A 6 banger tranny is good enough for a warm 289. I used to drag race with a T50 out of a 1980 Chev. Monza behind a healthy 232 that turned low 14's in a 53K.
                        I'm thinking no S series came with a v-8, but the later ones did come with a 4.3 v-6. the last of the Colorado's could be fitted with a v-8 (5.3) I think. cheers, junior.
                        sigpic
                        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by irish View Post
                          Of course if money isn't a big concern you can buy an overdrive unit from gearvendors.com it bolts in place of the tailhousing on the T-10 and is practically indestructible but it will cost you $3000. Best of luck to you.

Joe
                          That's exactly what I was thinking about this morning...once it's all said and done I'm wondering if the GV is the way to go as being the most cost effective... plus if you spit shift under/over you'd have a 8 speed. By sticking with the original ( engineered and working) trans/clutch setup you don't have to change transmissions, touch the clutch, linkage etc because the GV attaches to the rear of the trans. You do need have the driveshaft shortened though. I have a T5 in my 54 coupe and love it, but I picked it up for real cheap. Just last week I was searching for another T5 from a Camaro/Bird and was shocked to see that the cheapest one in my area is still $800. Looked for years in the self-serve boneyards in my city and have never come across one...they're missing by the time I get to the yard. cheers, junior.
                          sigpic
                          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I talked to Phil Harris this afternoon. He advised against using the S10 tranny. He has a complete kit, adaptor plate, pilot bushing, transmission front retainer ( steel) and throw out bearing for $325.00. All Ill need I think is a late 80's early 90's Ford 10 1/2" clutch to match the T5's splines and the T5 yoke and I think Im good to go. Im very familiar with the Ford T5 and its a piece of cake to engineer the speedo drive. I have a supplier who custom makes speedo cables any length with the T5 tranny fitting for the speedo gear and the round screw on speedo end. Again, thanks everyone for all the help.Click image for larger version

Name:	hawk drivers side nov 2014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1692926

Comment

Originally posted by kramerdad1 View Post
                              Thanks for all the feedback. I talked to Phil Harris this afternoon. He advised against using the S10 tranny. He has a complete kit, adaptor plate, pilot bushing, transmission front retainer ( steel) and throw out bearing for $325.00. All Ill need I think is a late 80's early 90's Ford 10 1/2" clutch to match the T5's splines and the T5 yoke and I think Im good to go.
                              You already have a clutch that would fit a Ford, unless you plan on changing the input shaft on the T-5 you need a clutch that will fit a late 80's to eary 90's firebird/camaro. Also, what's the point of the adaptor plate? Remember you have a Chevy style bell housing NOT the more common Ford style.

Joe
                              sigpic

1962 Daytona
                              1964 Cruiser
                              And a few others

Comment

Working...
                              X