61 convert. fix or part out???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 convert. fix or part out???

As posted a couple of weeks ago I have a 61 convert.V-8 with auto and air. after removing fenders, hood, trunk, front center grille section from this car and a 61 4 door car it is time make a decision on what to do, either put the good parts on the car and make it look better and sell or just go ahead and part every thing out? The convert has a really rusted out trunk floor but the 4 door car has a good rear clip that could be transferred over, the floors in both cars are rusted out and in need of replacing. The engine in the convert is stuck but not sure how much as I have not spent time trying to free it up yet, it is a replacement full flow engine not sure if 259 or 289 but will check into it more. The glass is good as is the chrome trim, windows go up and down but are tight, doors and rear fenders have some rust but not like the floors, the seats are there but need every thing, would like to sell it to someone that want to restore a convert. If I part it out items will go on a first come first served as always, so let me know your needs but keep in mind parts will only go if car is not sold out right, price is $2000.00 as it sits, has no title at this time but I can get a clear California title for about $200.00 if interested. Lets hear from the peanut gallery on this . here are a few pictures of what is there.

more pictures on request.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Bob my wife wants one of these but I have to many other things going to even think of draging home one more project if only it was a year or two down the road. Glad you sold the packard hawk one guy I had wasn't interested and the other hasn't gotten back to me so guessing the same there.

Comment

They both look savable, but only for someone doing their own work. What I see of that convert. trunk, it looks good - from a NE reference point.

I would like the convert., but only if finished. I do not have another restoration in me.

All that you can reasonably do is to offer them here and perhaps on eBay. If they don't bring enough for you, then part them out. You certainly have the experience to know what sells and for how much and how much time and effort go into parting one out. If the convert. has correct, integrated factory A/C that is rare and desirable.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        They both look savable, but only for someone doing their own work. What I see of that convert. trunk, it looks good - from a NE reference point.

I would like the convert., but only if finished. I do not have another restoration in me.

All that you can reasonably do is to offer them here and perhaps on eBay. If they don't bring enough for you, then part them out. You certainly have the experience to know what sells and for how much and how much time and effort go into parting one out. If the convert. has correct, integrated factory A/C that is rare and desirable.
        It would be interesting to see that AC. My understanding was that factory air wasn't available on convertibles until '62.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

As Gary states, they are both worth saving.

Craig

Comment

Bob, i know from previous posts that you are trying to wind down "operations", but i agree that both are worthy of a ebay auction. probably separately or maybe a package deal.
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

The 4 door is just going to be scrapped out with the good usable parts that fit the convert going there, the 6 cyl. engine is already on it's way to China and the 3 speed with out overdrive should have gone along with it not much good for any thing as I don't fish or even have a boat. The interior of the convert trunk is toast but the one off the 4 door is a very good replacement for it. If I end up parting out to sell, the tub will go away and only keep selling items like the A/C unit, engine trans, convert top, front fenders, glass, doors, not much need for the trunk lid or hood already have some of them in the stash, need to check out the rear end might be a tt but no emblems on the car to state such.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

I would not toss the Trans. Input Shaft, as it fits Overdrive T-96's.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  I would not toss the Trans. Input Shaft, as it fits Overdrive T-96's.
                  Big deal Rich even if it had overdrive I might just get rid of it , I have a load going to New Zealand very soon I just might but it with that load since they might need one down under, they can always send it to China they are a lot closer, the frame would also be saved.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                    It would be interesting to see that AC. My understanding was that factory air wasn't available on convertibles until '62.
                    Paul why would you say that when every one knows you could order anything you wanted for a few bucks more. I need to look and the engine number if it has one since this is not the original engine the A/C might have come with the engine but if there is no number on the block and installed as a replacement engine then the A/C might have been original.

some how the first picture is wrong, here it the unit under the hood.

Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                        Paul why would you say that when every one knows you could order anything you wanted for a few bucks more. I need to look and the engine number if it has one since this is not the original engine the A/C might have come with the engine but if there is no number on the block and installed as a replacement engine then the A/C might have been original.
                        The '61 Accessories list shows AC as available on all Studebakers except "soft top convertibles". I think it was because with the balance weight in front of the radiator there was no room for the condensor. I had to enlarge a small picture of the list so it is pretty hard to read and a very small picture of a '61 AC so it is also hard to read.
                        The picture you have is a later model AC. The '61 was a one-year only AC that worked with the Climatizer and brought in fresh air through the cowl vent. They are very rare.
                        Attached Files
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Ok Paul you win this one but the car still has A/C along with the front weights and condenser .
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Anyone need any packardhawk parts in New Zealand?
                            Mabel 1949 Champion
                            Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                            Gus 1958 Transtar
                            The Prez 1955 President State
                            Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                            Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                            Fresno,Ca

Comment

The balance weights are mounted in the area behind the front bumper, below the headlamps & are bolted to the front panel from behind. Nowhere near where the condenser is mounted. If that were the case then later on Wagonaire's would not be able to have air conditioning since they use the same balance weight arrangement.
                              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                              64 Zip Van
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                              X