PDA

View Full Version : 64 Hawk restore

wminter
11-16-2014, 10:46 AM
This is a bigger project than I wanted but couldn't pass it up. 64 GT R2 4sp. Bought from the original owner. It sat in a storage shed for 35 years. I put tires on it, got it to roll and brought it home. Yesterday I took the brakes apart, the hydraulics are all seized and probably not rebuildable. Is it best to buy the upgrade kit to GM front disc or keep it stock and find good parts? My discs Mic it .355, my specs show discard at .330. Also the gas tank is a mess. Are new tanks available or good used ones. Anyone had success at cleaning one? This is going to be a long project. Thanks for any advice.

StudeMichael
11-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Many use the Turner brake conversion kit. It is bolt on. http://www.turnerbrake.com/

A radiator shop should be able to work on your tank.

StudeRich
11-16-2014, 02:15 PM
"Is it best", depends on your needs and planned use of the Car.
If you are looking for a absolutely correct, Original 400 Point rare Jet Thrust or Super Hawk mods will devalue it.

Will it stop better, absolutely!
The cost of a Turner Disc. Brake Kit will not be much different than buying all 4 Front Caliper Wheel Cylinders, Rotors, lines, hoses, seals, Bearings etc. to make it stock.

Post the Serial Number from the driver's door post here to find out if this is a "Super Hawk" package Car adding more desirability and value. ;)

warrlaw1
11-16-2014, 02:49 PM
What Rich said. A 64 R2 4 spd is one helluva car. Decide whether to build a driver, a show car or a rocket. I put Turner discs on my 55 Commander and had my tank repaired and baked by Gas Tank Renu. Still qualifies for the Pure Stock Drags. Allen Anderson runs his R2 Hawk at the races. If it was a Texas car you won't have the rust I had to deal with.

wminter
11-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Vin is 64V20084. I have ordered a build sheet. This car lived it's running life in Nevada. Only surface rust. Environmental laws and cheap aluminum radiators have killed the radiator repair business in Houston.

PackardV8
11-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Congrats on finding the best of the GT Hawks. On that car, I'd rebuild to original. You'll be money ahead if you ever sell.

Guarantee in a metro area the size of Houston, there will be still one or two radiator/tank shops around. Ask the tractor shops where they send their radiators and tanks.

jack vines

t1003nl
11-16-2014, 06:13 PM
Sounds like a great project car. How about some pictures?

Corvanti
11-16-2014, 06:15 PM
not too far away, a "Gas Tank Renu": https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gas+Tank+Renu-USA/@30.06183,-95.935202,10z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xa19d6ff68c2225a0

70Avanti2
11-16-2014, 07:03 PM
I would go turner and save the stude brakes for if you change your mind.

BobPalma
11-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Vin is 64V20084. I have ordered a build sheet. This car lived it's running life in Nevada. Only surface rust.

Bill, I want to emphasize that you have a rare, historically-significant Studebaker Hawk, there. I hope you'll do a nice job preserving it and restoring it.

Here's why: That Serial Number struck me as so close to the end that I just checked to confirm a suspicion and I was right:

Your car, Serial Number 64V20084, is the very last R2 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk built. That's right; THE LAST ONE of thousands of famous, supercharged Studebaker Hawks built during model years 1957, 1958, 1963, and 1964.

Not only that, but it is a full-package Super Hawk...and a 4-speed for icing on the cake!

Please treat it as the historically-significant Studebaker performance artifact it is. How fortunate for not only you, but for the whole Studebaker hobby that it survives and is in the hands of a devoted enthusiast. (BTW: It was originally shipped to Bryan, Texas, so if you say it spent most of its life in Nevada, it should be a good, dry specimen.)

Congratulations and all the best; those are really cool beans! :D :D :!: :cool: Bob Palma, Technical Editor, Turning Wheels.

Corvanti
11-16-2014, 07:28 PM
re: what BP discovered - WOW!!!:!::!!::cool:

please keep her as original as possible! you have a future museum piece in your hands.:D

Flashback
11-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Congratulations, on your find. Keep us posted.

53commander
11-16-2014, 08:41 PM
Wow a great find and definitely one to preserve. :!!:

wminter
11-16-2014, 08:57 PM
It was bought in Bryan, Tx. The original owner graduated from Texas A&M In Dec. 63 and bought this car Jan. 8th of 64. He got a job in aerospace engineering in Nevada.

LeoH
11-16-2014, 09:17 PM
Interesting, that may mean it was up around this neck of the woods, depending on which aerospace company it drove to.

Chucks Stude
11-17-2014, 08:30 AM
For gas tank rebuild and other things in Houston, see Javier's on Clay Rd. My gas tank looked like swiss cheese, and he got it redone. He builds Jeep rock-crawlers from scratch, and does a lot of restoration work. He got the back springs on my GT apart, and I had all but given up on them. He will work with you and is a fount of information.

Chucks Stude
11-17-2014, 08:31 AM
Oh, good luck, welcome to the Forum, and congratulations on a great car.

warrlaw1
11-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Glad I got to witness this and glad we have Mr. Palma to document it. If you get it on the road, you'll be welcomed at any SDC event.

JEWELL
11-17-2014, 01:11 PM
First off, welcome to the forum Bill, very glad to see this car is Friendswood, would really like to see this Hawk in person. What a great and rare find.

Mark

wise raymond
11-17-2014, 05:45 PM
COOL BEANS That's one sweet Ride.
enjoy new car

studebaker-R2-4-me
11-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Hey Welcome to the forum Bill, you've found a really special car, not only because it's a 1964 but because it a full package Superhawk! You should be rockin-yer-socks off finding this car. The car deserves a full restoration at some point in it's remaining life. I trust you will be a excellent guardian of this car, Your first step is getting her stopping, forget the Turner Brakes, this car will stop just fine with the rebuilt Bendix braking system. Make improvements mechanically but keep her stock. You will only help this car by doing so, and when/if you sell her, you will be better off doing so. When you get the Hawk running good you will have something nicer than this.

Allen

SScopelli
11-17-2014, 08:07 PM
If any other car, I'd turn a blind eye to any modifications you would do.

But as Allen noted, and Bob is so excited over, this car is one for a "to the letter build sheet restoration," or at least to the letter driver..

You can find the calipers rebuilt or rebuildable (Not really a word).

I believe there are CNC replacements that mount and look OE, and yet have a bit more stopping power..

Also, most radiator shops can clean out a gas tank and repair minor rust issues.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Friendswood%2C+Texas+gas+tank+repair+shops

And Where are the Pictures???