PDA

View Full Version : Studebakers at the Midwest Muscle Car Show next week

Halibrand1
11-15-2014, 06:36 PM
The Midwest Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals are next weekend, and this year a Studebaker Performance Display will be a 1st . Last year, Eric Derosa and I had our cars in a Class of 63 Display and were so well received Bob Ashton, the show president, asked us back to feature more Studes. The Stude Tomato will be in the Pure Stock line up. Nelson Boves 64 Daytona Hot Rod Test Car will be with Eric's 63 R2 Lark. Ricks 63 R1 Avanti, Steve's Avanti 2, and my 2 Avantis will be on display. Sounds like Studes will be a welcome addition. I am sure someone with the skills can post the link to the show. If any Studebaker members and fans are going to be there, please come by, introduce yourselves, and get a closer look at the cars. We look forward to seeing you all. Ed

8E45E
11-15-2014, 06:40 PM
It is good to see some Studebaker coverage for sure! I remember last year's coverage: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?76741-Great-News-Studes-MCACN-Show&highlight=george+avanti

Craig

Halibrand1
11-15-2014, 06:49 PM
Craig, Thanks for the link !

8E45E
11-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Craig, Thanks for the link !

You're welcome!! As I stated in a later thread, ( http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?78989-Ed-George-s-Avanti-in-March-2014-MCR!&highlight=prefix ), I like the 'JT' prefix YOM plates on Eric's car. Unfortunately, they did not make plates with a 'JT' prefix for 1963 in Alberta, which I would have liked for my Hawk.

Craig

Halibrand1
11-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Craig' to pull this show off we had Ted bring his car a couple weeks early to my place to beat the weather and Nelson's car went to my sons house last Saturday . We have been on detail mode since ! Ed

8E45E
11-15-2014, 08:55 PM
Sounds like it will be an awesome display!! Going by your count, there will be seven high performance Studebakers in attendance this year. I hope all those who make an appearance will take some good, high quality photos for Turning Wheels. Unless the organizers have a cap on the amount of vehicles of each make, it would cool to see the number of high performance Studebakers grow every year.

Craig

2R2
11-16-2014, 10:45 PM
This show has been called the Pebble Beach for the muscle car crowd! With over 500 of the finest collectible performance cars in attendance, the show is a treat for the American muscle car enthusiast.
The show's website ia as follows:

www.mcacn.com

as Ed stated, I feel honored to have my factory R2 Lark there again. Last year was the first year thy ever had Studebakers in attendance, and I think the show's organizers were surprised how much attention Ed's R3 powered Avanti and my '63 R2 Lark attracted.

If you are I the Chicagoland area next weekend and can make the show, stop by and say "hi". My biggest challenge right now is the weather. I don't own a trailer, so I'll be driving to the show...there is snow on the ground today, so hopefully the weather clears up by next weekend.
:woot:

plwindish
11-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Ed & Eric, Looking forward to seeing all the "Studie Muscle" at the Stevens Convention Center in Rosemont this weekend!

Deaf Mute
11-17-2014, 02:27 PM
I wish I could be there... GET PHOTOS and get them in the area chapter newsletters; plus TURNING WHEELS as mentioned above.

Halibrand1
11-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Big Day Tomorrow since it starts the move in process . My son Eddie has put the final polish on 4 of the cars and all of us have been hard at work since this is an honor to be a part of this show . Lots of pictures will be taken and Turning Wheels articles will be written as well as updates on the Forum . I will add its been Pretty Cool to have the Stude Tomato in my garage and Nelson's Hot Rod Test and Bonnevile car next the my R-3 Powered Avanti at my son Eddies house , without him this would not be possible to pull off . As Eric said any Stude enthusiasts attend please fell welcome to introduce yourselves and get a closer look at the cars . Ed

BobPalma
11-19-2014, 09:01 PM
:!: 'Wife and I have just confirmed our plans to attend. :)

We hope to be there when it opens Saturday morning so we can leave mid-Saturday afternoon for the trip back to Brownsburg. MapQuest calls it 187 miles and a tick over 3 hours from our house. We will gain an hour going over due to the time zone change, but will have to leave accordingly to account for losing an hour coming back.

I hope my camera will be back from the repair shop. It is supposed to be done Thursday with Friday for a cushion...but if it isn't ready, I'll have to bring along a single-use camera for some choice shots. Ugh.

Do you guys know where the Studes will be displayed with reference to The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race exhibit in which The Stude Tomato will be displayed? :confused: Is Eric DeRosa again bringing his Rose Mist '63 R2 Custom? :cool:

You guys take care setting up, 'ya hear? :QQ: BP

Halibrand1
11-19-2014, 09:29 PM
Bob yes Eric's car will be there (driven there ) . And we do not know where we are placed yet . We originally had a Friday move in except for Ted so I explained to Bob Ashton our circumstances and we also have a Thursday move in exception . I think the Studes will be somewhere in the middle of the show based on an original 9am Friday move in time . Hope our effort supports the Pure Stock Studebaker aconplishmenrs and takes it to another level at this show ! Since Eric and me only brought only 2 cars last year and were noticed by the shows promoters as being a hit I think this could be a permanent feature . A small coversation between Bob Ashton and I resulted in him setting up a booth at the last South Bend may swap meet he was a part of meeting Performance Stude folks you were one of them . Look forward to hanging with you again ! Ed

BobPalma
11-20-2014, 08:43 AM
:!!: Cool beans, Ed (Post #12).

I talked with Bob Ashton and his wife for some time at the May 2014 South Bend Swap Meet. Gee, they are interested in the high-performance Studebakers...in fact, Bob came to the 2014 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race and we saw him again there. What a nice guy, as I am sure you have come to conclude as well.

They really wanted The Plain Brown Wrapper there at this weekend's show, but the logistics weren't on the horizon as I don't have an enclosed trailer or a truck to pull it with. However, having The Stude Tomato in the Pure Stock Muscle Car display is every bit as good, if not better, in my opinion.

Ed, you might go back and edit this topic's title to reflect the fact now that the show is now this weekend, not next weekend. Nobody but you or a moderator can edit it or I'd do it for you. Just click on EDIT and, then, GO ADVANCED.

You'll be able to change the topic title to THIS WEEKEND. Then click SAVE CHANGES and it will reappear with a corrected title.

Thanks so much for all you guys are doing up there to get those cars in place in this big show; 'looking forward to seeing it, them, and "you all." :D :!: :cool: BP

2R2
11-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Bob,

yes, I'll have my rose mist R2 Lark at the show. I am going to get it out of storage today, and prep it fo the 30 mile drive. Geez, most people in the Midwest are putting their cars IN storage this time of year, not getting them out! High of 26 predicted today; I'm really glad I fixed the heater core a few months ago!

see you there.

plwindish
11-20-2014, 09:23 AM
I had the pleasure of attending last year. You can easily spend 4 hours seeing all the cars at the show. It is THE show in the Midwest to see a huge collection of muscle cars and Vettes under one roof. Last year had a bunch of Nicky Chevrolet, Grand Spaulding Dodge and Mr. Norm prepared cars. Ed and Eric's cars were very well received at the show. They have laid the ground work for getting Studebaker represented at the show. The additional Studes this year should make all the attendees take notice the "Big Three" were not the only "muscle" around in 63 and 64.

The show is at the Donald Stevens Convention Center in Rosemont IL, right off 294 (Tri-state tollway) near O'Hare Airport. Online advance tickets are $20, $25 at the door. Don't miss the show this Saturday (11/22) and Sunday (11/23).

warrlaw1
11-20-2014, 09:24 AM
I was invited to display my 55 but their preferred carrier never got back to me (won't go across the border?). Have fun guys and waive the flag. My car is snowbound.

BobPalma
11-22-2014, 11:01 PM
Report and photos here:

http://racingstudebakers.com/foo/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3079

What a great time! :!: BP

8E45E
11-23-2014, 04:15 AM
Thanks Bob!

Excellent commentary on the event!!

Craig