Canvas tops for trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canvas tops for trucks

I have seen what looks like factory trucks, 1.5 ton and 2 ton with what looks like wood sides and canvas tops. Are they factory, and are the prints available to replicate them? Kind of like an army truck canvas and wood cover.

Stude offered a canvas Caravan Top as an option on the M and 2R series 1/2 and 3/4-ton trucks, but not on the larger models. They did offer a stake body as a factory option on all models, though these bodies were actually provided by a local South Bend iron works. As far as I know (would be glad to be proved wrong), they did not offer the canvas top on the larger post-War trucks.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

I'm not wondering if you were to connect with a local military vehicle group and see if that's something you can have fashioned/created/fabricated for your truck, based on how the originals are constructed. I'm naive, but, it seems like it should be something you could make happen if you wanted it badly enough.

Comment

Gary Ash has provided instructions to recreate the Caravan Top for the 1/2 and 3/4 ton models. I suspect, as Leo suggests, a canvas top for larger trucks was probably an option for military models.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

this is the link I think, to Gary's information:

Best of luck.
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I did find Gary's page, and that is what got me to thinking...Have a friend who is a retired OTR driver....he's going to hook me up with the folks that do the tarp covers for coil (steel) haulers...looks like I might pull this off...

Comment

There is a company here in N.J. Beachwood Canvas Works , Who does military and civilian trucks , They have been in business a long time , Check out their web site , Ed

Comment

Sounds Great! Do keep us posted.

Comment

I have a number of stakes for a Studebaker M16 stake bed truck.
                  If anyone is interested in these let me know.
                  Also a low mileage M16(2300 miles) that sat outside since 1948 and had kids knock the windows in and dance on the top etc. Complete low milage drive train,two speed axle.$1000.00
                  Robert Kapteyn
                  studebaker@mac.com

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                    I have a number of stakes for a Studebaker M16 stake bed truck.
                    If anyone is interested in these let me know.
                    Also a low mileage M16(2300 miles) that sat outside since 1948 and had kids knock the windows in and dance on the top etc. Complete low milage drive train,two speed axle.$1000.00
                    Robert Kapteyn
                    studebaker@mac.com
                    PM sent re stakes.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

While the subject has moved beyond canvas tops, a friend of mine has a newly re-cored radiator for M15/M16 that he mistakenly thought would fit his M5. He's invested $450 and would like to get it out of his way for $200. And can deliver free to York. PM me for his contact information.

Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I believe this one was made to an original Caravan Top pattern:

Craig

Comment

Working...
                        X