PDA

View Full Version : transtar truck radio

unclemiltie
11-14-2014, 04:39 PM
not mine, but for that transtar owner that wants everything

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Transtar-AM-radio-1950s-stubaker-working-complte-unusual-/111516760261?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19f6eab8c5&vxp=mtr

Studebaker spelling may slow its finding a new home

Guido
11-14-2014, 06:49 PM
At $129 that was a bargain.

Mrs K Corbin
11-17-2014, 09:04 AM
What numbers are on the bottom of that thing?
I might have one. don't know. I would think that the install kit would be harder to find.

jclary
11-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Is this a Studebaker offering? I thought Studebaker offered Philco radios. Although, I know that Motorola offered lots of after-market radios. If it is aftermarket, "Transtar" could have been a coincidental generic marketing ploy. Radios were offered with silvertone, truetone, Volumatic, Deluxe, etc.

I once drove an 18 wheeler International Cab-Over tractor that was badged as a "Transtar." In my 55 truck, I have a period correct aftermarket Motorola radio. I have original radios for the truck, but didn't want to take a chance of messing up when drilling the holes, installing the factory parts, etc. that comes with the Philco. For the motorolla, with its one piece box/enclosure, all that was required was using a couple of existing screws under the dash, a hot wire, inline fuse, and I have a radio...complete, with 55 Studebaker knobs. Even most SDC members don't know it is aftermarket.:)

Anyway, this looked like a good radio, and whoever bought it, got a good deal.:cheers:

Guido
11-18-2014, 02:11 PM
John,

The Transtar radios mounted under the dash rather than through it. I used to have a picture of mine mounted in my 3E40 (Craig may even find it posted here).

Gary

8E45E
11-18-2014, 02:25 PM
John,

The Transtar radios mounted under the dash rather than through it. I used to have a picture of mine mounted in my 3E40 (Craig may even find it posted here).

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?2952-49-Stude-Truck-on-Ebay&highlight=guido+radio

Craig

unclemiltie
11-18-2014, 02:25 PM
I had a radio in a pickup I use to have which said "Transtar" on it but I no longer remember the brand it was. The knobs did not look right to me but again, my memory had faded on that item

8E45E
11-18-2014, 02:27 PM
I had a radio in a pickup I use to have which said "Transtar" on it but I no longer remember the brand it was. The knobs did not look right to me but again, my memory had faded on that item

I believe Motorola made all the truck radios from 1956 onward, except for the Champs.

Craig

Skip Lackie
11-18-2014, 02:49 PM
Is this a Studebaker offering? I thought Studebaker offered Philco radios. Although, I know that Motorola offered lots of after-market radios. If it is aftermarket, "Transtar" could have been a coincidental generic marketing ploy. Radios were offered with silvertone, truetone, Volumatic, Deluxe, etc.

I once drove an 18 wheeler International Cab-Over tractor that was badged as a "Transtar." In my 55 truck, I have a period correct aftermarket Motorola radio. I have original radios for the truck, but didn't want to take a chance of messing up when drilling the holes, installing the factory parts, etc. that comes with the Philco. For the motorolla, with its one piece box/enclosure, all that was required was using a couple of existing screws under the dash, a hot wire, inline fuse, and I have a radio...complete, with 55 Studebaker knobs. Even most SDC members don't know it is aftermarket.:)

Anyway, this looked like a good radio, and whoever bought it, got a good deal.:cheers:

Yes, it was a factory option. It's shown in the later truck parts books. There were two slightly different Transtar radios offered. I believe one had the low frequencies on the right end instead of the left, probably because Studebaker bought an existing product from Motorola and flipped it so it could be mounted under the dash.

After Studebaker exited the truck business, International used the Transtar name on some of their class 8 cabover trucks. And the name was also briefly used on an airline in the late 80s.

I was the one who bought the radio, and I thank Unclemiltie for alerting me about it.

jclary
11-18-2014, 04:52 PM
I was the one who bought the radio, and I thank Unclemiltie for alerting me about it.

Well...a good example of the value of this forum. You got a good deal, and I got some more education.:)

autoradiotech
11-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Philco built all of Studes radios thru the 55 model year, then Stude switched to Delco radios from 56 thru 66 except for the 56 & 57 trucks which were Motorolas. Motorola also built the radios for the 62 thru 64 'C' cab trucks. The model # for the 56/7 radios was SR6T and for the 62nto m64s was SR2T

Skip Lackie
11-18-2014, 06:23 PM
Actually, believe you will find that International began using "Transtar" in 1961, if memory serves. Had Studebaker stopped using it at that point? Even if they had, surely it was registered. Always have wondered why "somebody didn't sue somebody" on that deal.

Interesting -- I thought it was later than that. Stude built Transtars through the truncated 1964 model year. It's possible that Studebaker never registered Transtar as a trademark, or permitted it to expire during the 1959 model (when they inexplicably dropped the name for one year), and never renewed it when they started using the name again.

Skip Lackie
11-18-2014, 06:32 PM
Well...a good example of the value of this forum. You got a good deal, and I got some more education.:)
Yup, but I'll probably get more value out of the radio than you will from that info.

8E45E
11-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Philco built all of Studes radios thru the 55 model year, then Stude switched to Delco radios from 56 thru 66 except for the 56 & 57 trucks which were Motorolas.

In the cars and Champ trucks they were Delco. Transtars and Diesels were Motorola. Here is the 1963 Sam's Photofact information for the Transtar radio:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7492/15203784543_ab2db88145_k.jpg

Craig

Guido
11-18-2014, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the link Craig! I believe the IH Transtar debuted in 1965, they also had the Loadstar and Paystar series. I do recall Transtar II COE trucks in the 1970's.