• Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Ranco Valve

Click image for larger version

Name:	heater valve.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1745107

Is this the corrct porting from the engine to the Ranco Valve? I can not shut the water flow to the heaters from inside. While this is not a problem now it will become one this spring!

I ran all new heater hoses and the where I could I installed 3/4 inch. tubing. Not to save money but to make a neat setup.

Your valves' internal rubber seal is probably shot or missing altogether. The seal kits from Napa (BK660-1000) do not have this seal. I made them from a tapered faucet washer from the hardware store. After grinding off the area where the seal retaining washer is staked to the shaft, I replaced the seal with the new one, and grooved the shaft, and used a carb linkage hairpin retainer to hold a backer washer behind the seal. Then you have to rebuild the valve like usual with the new seal on the other end of the shaft. Pay close attention to which side of the base plate the water outlet is on, as they wont take being taken apart more than once.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

This is a new valve. Is the inlet on the left or the right? There is a photo showing the inlet which is the outlet of the water pump on the left.
      Whith cold weather coming up this will be OK but when it warms up outside I would like to have the water flow shut off to the heaters.

Comment

While I am sure that one of the pipes is designated "inlet" and the other as "outlet", I don't think it matters much in operation. The valve doesn't have much differential pressure across it, so flow pressure won't hold it open, or closed. The valve may be "new" but they have not been made for many years, and possibly the rubber seal on the plunger disintegrated as indicated by Bez. Make sure that the cable is adjusted such that the roller comes completely off the cam in the closed position. If that still doesn't fix it, then either rebuild the valve as Bez suggests, or hide a positive-acting valve somewhere else in the line. Dodge trucks used a real simple quarter-turn valve that is about foolproof, and which takes very little effort to operate. Those valves on the older Larks are diabolical in their complexity, weight, and effort needed to function them.
        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I just got the Ranco valve from Studebaker Int. I Greenville, IN. There must be an inlet and outlet. I will switch the hoses and give it a try. NAPA has the old style shut off valves.

Thanks for the info. I think with the heaters under both seats will keep me warm this winter!

Comment

Some of the reproduction valves work backwards.Open is closed.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

There is a inlet and outlet. If the water from the pump goes in straight against the plunger seal, it has a tendency to force some water by.

Comment

Working...
              X