Radiator Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator Needed

I'm in need of a good used radiator for 61 T Cab. Kinda need it to be within a reasonable distance of middle Tenn.
    Thanks in advance,
    Kim

Assume you have explored a re-core on what you've got? I've never had to replace a radiator unless I didn't have one to begin with.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If aluminum is acceptable to you, do a search in the archives here, with key words: aluminum radiator. There has been a ton of info on misc interchanges, and radiator companies that will modify theirs to fit just about every common Stude. Lots of posters here like them especially since they are about a third to half price of replacing the copper core on an OEM.

Comment

IIRC the Champs and Larks can use a Jeep type radiator. You might try adding Jeep to your search as per Joe's suggestion to limit the initial hits. Bob

Comment

I bought one from Sasco when they were closing, they had a bunch of NOS ones, might give Studebaker International a call to see if they still have one.
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thanks guys. Top my tank is ripped and has been bugered on a lot.. I'm gonna do the aluminum

Comment

Hey Kim,
              Yours could very well be repairable, When I lived in Murfreesboro (about 2 years ago) there was a great little radiator shop right around the corner from the Napa (Flordia Brother Auto Parts) right off the square. Sadly I can't remember the name of the of the guy but you can check with Richard Burke he might be able to help you. Also it might not hurt to call Gene Cutherbert. A few years ago I think he had several used radiators in his garage. Hope that helps

Comment

Thank you, I'll look into that. I've heard Ron Ball speak of Gene.

Comment

I took the one out of my 64 Challenger and installed in my 61 Champ. Was a great fit. Then, I got the aluminum one off Ebay that fits the Jeep with the Chevy engine. Had to redrill a couple of mounting holes but it cools great. That being said, the same aluminum radiator should work in your 61 Champ.
                  Wayne Elks

66 Phantom Champ
                  65 Cruiser
                  64 Champ
                  40 4-Dr Commander

Comment

What is the specific Jeep application?
                    Thanks,
                    Kim

Comment

It is for the 72 to 86 CJ conversion for V8 Chevy. Around $153. If you do a site search on this forum for "Jeep radiator" you will see a lot of conversations about the radiators. Keep scrolling down and you will find the link for the ebay item I mentioned. I have it in the Challenger and drove it in September to our Maggie Valley NC meet on the interstate and have driven it locally in stop and go traffic. It only has the engine fan and no shroud on the Chevy 350 crate motor (330hp) and it runs very cool. Mine is a 4 speed so there is no cooler. I plan to use the same setup in my 65 Cruiser but it is an automatic and I will use an external cooler. I have been very pleased with the aluminum radiator.
                      Wayne Elks

66 Phantom Champ
                      65 Cruiser
                      64 Champ
                      40 4-Dr Commander

Comment

Working...
                      X