Small 6 cylinder engine ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small 6 cylinder engine ID

Have a small 6 cylinder Studebaker engine in a 1947 champion, and know that it is not the original engine. Have the original production order on ths car. The identification numbers stamped on block in the normal location for identification numbers is 87 on the passenger side of area, and a number 2 on drivers side of small location where I.D.numbers are usally stamped. Also the oil pan was modified ( cut and welded ) to be used on this engine? It is a Studebaker flat head six. Heard it may have been N.O.S. block?

Doesn't have a cloverleaf anywhere? I have a couple of 47 engines if you want your #s to match.They are both M series champion.
    Neil Thornton

Comment

Not worried about numbers matching, but as tight as motor is, along with the different numbers on block, wondering if it was some type of N.O.S. motor. It's the maroon one we got out of Florida.

Comment

Not worried about numbers matching. But am curious what these identification number mean. Does not have a cloverleaf, but looks like some type of brackets around part of number. Its the maroon colered one we got out of Florida.

Comment

Studebaker six cylinder engines are identified here.

Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Clean off the side of the block and try to find the casting number and date code near the distributor. In the absence of a serial number that will pretty much tell us what you have.
            The welded up pan makes me think this is likely a 1955 or newer engine.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Working...
            X