PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker brings more money than a Duesenberg at auction!!!! Grab the smelling salts.

JBOYLE
11-09-2014, 12:28 PM
I haven't seen today's weather report so I don't know if hell has frozen over but it actually happened: :)
A Studebaker brought more money than a running, restored Duesenberg in similar condition.

At the RM Auctions event in Plymouth, Michigan on July 26, a 1906 Studebaker Model G touring car sold for $275,000 while a 1925 Duesenberg Model A brought $264,000.

Sports Car Market said the Studebaker had wins at major shows (Amelia Island and Meadow Brook) and had solid ownership history "back to day one". It broght $50k under its low estimate of $325K and was therefor a good buy. It even had a period leather NY license plate.

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1067350

The Duesenberg was "just " a Model A ...which really doesn't look that different from Henry's Model A of a few years later.

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1067984

The Studebaker also brought more than a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost, 34 and 35 Packard convertibles, and a 1937 Cord 812 Cord Sportsman.

junior
11-09-2014, 01:21 PM
holy smokes...ya would have thought hell did freeze over! hard to imagine any Studebaker fetching that amount of money, especially the one that did. My guess would have be on one of the early 30`s majestic beasties getting that kind of green...but a 1906...no. My mind just keeps thinking about how many beautiful later model Studes those $275,000 dollars could have purchased, including a nice garage to store them in...must be my CASO value-oriented attitude shining through! lets see, a CE, a nice Champion 39ish, Bullet nose rag top, 53/4 C or K, early Lark 2dr wagon, 63 Avanti, nice 4spd GT, nice late model 2dr coupe or hardtop for starters...now that's 8 vehicles at lets say average of 25 thou for a nice runner =200 G's and then 75 thou. for the garage...yup, I do like my math better. cheers, junior

DrDon
11-09-2014, 05:43 PM
holy smokes...ya would have thought hell did freeze over! hard to imagine any Studebaker fetching that amount of money, especially the one that did. My guess would have be on one of the early 30`s majestic beasties getting that kind of green...but a 1906...no. My mind just keeps thinking about how many beautiful later model Studes those $275,000 dollars could have purchased, including a nice garage to store them in...must be my CASO value-oriented attitude shining through! lets see, a CE, a nice Champion 39ish, Bullet nose rag top, 53/4 C or K, early Lark 2dr wagon, 63 Avanti, nice 4spd GT, nice late model 2dr coupe or hardtop for starters...now that's 8 vehicles at lets say average of 25 thou for a nice runner =200 G's and then 75 thou. for the garage...yup, I do like my math better. cheers, junior

I don't think you can get that stable for that price. Last restored CE I saw was $85,000 and a beat up eBay sale recently went for $31,000. I could be wrong on this but I am thinking that group, in restored condition would bring closer to $300K, maybe more. Hmmm

junior
11-09-2014, 08:57 PM
I don't think you can get that stable for that price. Last restored CE I saw was $85,000 and a beat up eBay sale recently went for $31,000. I could be wrong on this but I am thinking that group, in restored condition would bring closer to $300K, maybe more. Hmmm

perhaps you`re right, didn`t know CE`s grabbed that kinda of cash...31 grand for a beat up one, wow! but when I said `beautiful` I was referring to good condition drivers...so was kinda hoping that a budget of 25 G`s per vehicle was enough. cheers, Junior

Hallabutt
11-10-2014, 06:32 AM
Greg,

What you say may be true regarding your envisioned collection, but money is only a part of the big picture. While I own a number of the cars on your list, I don't own anything like the 09. All of the cars on your list and in my collection can be replaced, maybe not in exact condition, but close. The 09 is an historic icon, and because of what it is, and its provenance, I doubt that it could be replaced for any amount of money. The only thing that the 09, my 1931 80R, my 1937 President coupe and my 1955 Speedster have in common is that they were built by Studebaker. Each car has come to represent part of the story of a changing company, so vastly different 1909 to 1955 as to be almost unrecognizable. The story deserves to be told in it's entirety, and that helps to make this car so historically important. The Studebaker story, as important as it is, is only part of why the car is this valuable. You would have to ask the two or more people bidding on it what those intangibles might be.

John,

I can't believe that you can compare a Model A Ford and a Model A Duisenberg. The only thing that the two have in common is that they are cars and their model description has an "A" in it!

John,

clonelark
11-10-2014, 07:02 AM
Well that's gotta be a record price for a Studebaker, you Golden Hawk, Speedster and CE guys have something to shoot at. Beautiful car. I can respect what it is and i love the Brass,(just don't wanna have to polish it). Be a while before anything comes close to that price.

Son O Lark
11-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Auction house says it was in a 1953 promotional film. Oldest known four cylinder. It has quite a history, owned by several big hitters in the auto world.

56H-Y6
11-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Hi

Large brass-era cars are becoming appreciated for the treasures they are, a rare link with the early years of the automobile. Provenance is also very important, given the string of important former owners. Six figure auction prices are now quite common for cars in those decades.

A comparison of the chassis specification between these two will reveal just how fast the automobile was developing even in the decade and a half separating these examples.

The differences between a Duesenberg Model A and Ford Model A are like night and day. An OHC straight eight of 260 ci developing 88hp, mounted in 134" & 141" wb chassis, carrying custom coachbuilt bodies, overall bespoke hand-built quality selling for $6,250-$7,800 versus an L-head four of 200.5 ci developing 40hp, mounted on 103.5" wb chassis, wearing mass-production bodies of quality appropriate at prices from $460 to $585.

Steve

JBOYLE
11-12-2014, 10:38 PM
The differences between a Duesenberg Model A and Ford Model A are like night and day.
Steve

I appreciate that. I just tied the two together because they share the same name...and the fact that the Duesenberg in question looks more like a Ford A than the later and better known J and SJ.
I knew not everyone reading the post would know what a Dusey "A" looks like and might not open the link to see for themselves.

The rise in brass-era touring car (as opposed to the high-end sports models from Mercer, Stutz, etc which have always had high prices) values gives lie to the theory that "once the old guys who know the cars pass on, their market will shrink".
Serious car collectors (as opposed to those who want trinkets to show off at the country club) like quality cars...whatever their age.
Many of those cars are stunning achievements in technology. Pick up a copy of the old Ralph Stein book The American Automobile, if you don't know about those cars. It will be a real eye opener.

Stu Chapman
11-13-2014, 06:48 AM
Interesting to note is that it was restored by SDC's own Bob Valpey, well known in our Studebaker world.

Stu Chapman

8E45E
11-13-2014, 06:52 AM
I appreciate that. I just tied the two together because they share the same name...and the fact that the Duesenberg in question looks more like a Ford A than the later and better known J and SJ.
I knew not everyone reading the post would know what a Dusey "A" looks like and might not open the link to see for themselves.

I do! I do! (Waving my hand in the air!) http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?55806-Orphan-of-the-Day-10-29-1926-Duesenberg-Model-A&highlight=orphan+duesenberg

Craig

8E45E
11-13-2014, 07:49 PM
It even had a period leather NY license plate.

I am almost certain NY never issued 'plates' at the time; just the a number only. It was up to the owner make a plate of some sort for it.

Here is a restored 1906 Cadillac with a similar leather plate.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7520/15164056264_378ad4e7cd_k.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7477/15598586218_6f7cf5bf45_k.jpg

Craig