Restoration details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration details

Well, today I thought I'd get a lot done on the R2 GT when I noticed it did not have the proper outer weatherstrip flap on the rear quarter windows. Most GT's lost the flap years ago, others have just another window fuzzy installed, but I'm being anal with this car and decided to replace it. It's a good 4-6 hour job, involving pulling both rear quarter windows apart. The thought occurred to me that the previous owner would have been billed $300 or so to do the job at the restoration shop. I'm about 200 hours into the car already, and that's maybe 10-15K in pro labor. I don't know how you guys that farm out the work can afford it.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT cost to date
    $$60,984.29
    63 R2 SuperHawk
    63 Lark 2 door
    54 Starlight
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

It does have a fuzzy on the inside. Rubber flap on the outside. Might as well replace that fuzzy while you are in there.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

It does have a fuzzy on the inside. Rubber flap on the outside. Might as well replace that fuzzy while you are in there.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Agree with you there! There's no way I can track the time I've spent on the current project, and I stopped saving receipts a couple years ago. Of course, we amateurs are learning as we go. What takes me a week to accomplish may well be done in less than a day by someone who does it all the time.
        Today I spent four hours straightening and polishing one stainless rear fender strip for the '53. A professional may have accomplished it in less than a hour. Then again, since it's my car, I may accomplish a better fit and finish than someone who has no personal investment. I just hope there's enough time left on this earth to enjoy driving it once it's done.
        Here's progress through last Thursday
        Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Agree with you there! There's no way I can track the time I've spent on the current project, and I stopped saving receipts a couple years ago. Of course, we amateurs are learning as we go. What takes me a week to accomplish may well be done in less than a day by someone who does it all the time.
          Today I spent four hours straightening and polishing one stainless rear fender strip for the '53. A professional may have accomplished it in less than a hour. Then again, since it's my car, I may accomplish a better fit and finish than someone who has no personal investment. I just hope there's enough time left on this earth to enjoy driving it once it's done.
          Here's progress through last Thursday
          Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Lookin' good, Brad! []

I like that AC/alternator set up. Looks very "factory".

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Lookin' good, Brad! []

I like that AC/alternator set up. Looks very "factory".

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Of course I replaced the fuzzy. In the Navy, we'd say "If it moves, fondle it, if it does not move, paint it" The PO of this car would say "If NOS part is available, replace the used one." and I'm carrying on in his memory.

JDP/Maryland
                64 R2 GT cost to date
                $$60,984.29
                63 R2 SuperHawk
                63 Lark 2 door
                54 Starlight
                52 Starliner
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Of course I replaced the fuzzy. In the Navy, we'd say "If it moves, fondle it, if it does not move, paint it" The PO of this car would say "If NOS part is available, replace the used one." and I'm carrying on in his memory.

JDP/Maryland
                  64 R2 GT cost to date
                  $$60,984.29
                  63 R2 SuperHawk
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  54 Starlight
                  52 Starliner
                  51 Commander
                  39 Coupe express
                  39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Oh, you guys are going to "Be Upside-Down" and "Under Water"!
                    That Said, Please Keep Up The Good Work.

Comment

Oh, you guys are going to "Be Upside-Down" and "Under Water"!
                      That Said, Please Keep Up The Good Work.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I don't know how you guys that farm out the work can afford it.
                        What makes you thiink they could?

How many cars have you bought where the PO's were in too deep? I was upside down and backwards on my 47 Commander Coupe even before I had it restored.

On the 56J we farmed out the engine and transmission and the first interior, only because Phantom had not opened for business as yet.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I don't know how you guys that farm out the work can afford it.
                          What makes you thiink they could?

How many cars have you bought where the PO's were in too deep? I was upside down and backwards on my 47 Commander Coupe even before I had it restored.

On the 56J we farmed out the engine and transmission and the first interior, only because Phantom had not opened for business as yet.

Comment

That is one of the reasons that I prefer to buy vehicles that are at least near done now. On the last 1953 Commander Starliner that I did most everything on, I roughly figured my time and when I sold the car I was paid less than one dollar per hour for my labor. Not complaining, just an observation.
                            In most cases, I never used to keep track of costs. That was a good thing. On the last two Studebakers that I owned, I kept track of costs, other than my time, and found out that I lost money on both of them.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

That is one of the reasons that I prefer to buy vehicles that are at least near done now. On the last 1953 Commander Starliner that I did most everything on, I roughly figured my time and when I sold the car I was paid less than one dollar per hour for my labor. Not complaining, just an observation.
                              In most cases, I never used to keep track of costs. That was a good thing. On the last two Studebakers that I owned, I kept track of costs, other than my time, and found out that I lost money on both of them.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X