PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Read: The Reminiscences of Robert E. Bourke (link)

DEEPNHOCK
11-08-2014, 09:23 AM
http://www.autolife.umd.umich.edu/Design/Bourke_interview.htm

The Reminiscences of Robert E. Bourke

(snippet copy - see link for entire article)This is Dave Crippen of the Edsel Ford Design History Center at the Henry Ford Museum & Greenfield Village , and this is October 23, 1986 . This is another one of our design oral history interviews. Today we are speaking with Mr. Robert E. Bourke of Loewy/Studebaker fame and other industrial design areas. We'ved asked Mr. Bourke to tell us his career narrative in his own way and at his own pace. Please start at the beginning and tell us where you were born, where you grew up, what your influences were -- a favorite relative, or a friend, or a school mentor.

8E45E
11-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Yep, mentioned here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?46058-Bob-Bourke-remembers&highlight=umich

Craig

DEEPNHOCK
11-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Yeah Craig... In 2010....
Lot of new people here since then....(and I am not going to search every interesting thing to verify it hasn't been posted here before).:p

Yep, mentioned here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?46058-Bob-Bourke-remembers&highlight=umich

Craig

Bob Andrews
11-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Come on, Jeff, you know that's all Craig lives for :)

alaipairod
11-08-2014, 09:37 PM
This read gives students in college a challenge, write this for their thesis. This article is fantastic!
It is the best window to the inner workings of Studebaker. I don't think that you will find a better representation on how Studebaker met their demise.............

Studebaker Wheel
11-09-2014, 01:41 AM
I knew Bob Bourke pretty well and communicated with him extensively by telephone, mail and personal meetings mostly at the Intl mets. Very nice gentleman and quite engaging. Great interview insofar as the design part goes but quite a few errors elsewhere. Understandable when one considers how much time had passed between the time of the events and the interview.

rkapteyn
11-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Jeff
Thanks for posting it.
I missed it before!

Robert Kapteyn

Flashback
11-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Thanks for posting this, Jeff. I like ol Bob myself. Good readin'

studegary
11-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Along these lines is the CD "Designers and Engineers of the '40s & '50s". It is live interviews, mostly with Bob Bourke, but also including four others. I looked and do not see a date when this was put onto CD. It is 80 minutes of interviews.

clonelark
11-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Wow Nice read, took me a while but enjoyed it very much. I have a good understanding of how Studebaker fell to the wayside.

raprice
11-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Jeff,
Thanks for posting that terrific interview. I was rivited to the story and I got to fill in so many blanks in my own knowlege of what went on at Studebaker during Bourke's career with Studebaker.
Rog

stall
11-10-2014, 05:39 PM
I'm with you Jeff; I didn't see the post almost five years ago and I appreciate you putting it on the forum. I'll bet when someone posts it again 5 years ago the same guy will comment that it was posted twice.
Murray

Yeah Craig... In 2010....
Lot of new people here since then....(and I am not going to search every interesting thing to verify it hasn't been posted here before).:p

Jeff_H
11-10-2014, 06:01 PM
I think I may have read that before when last posted but it was good to read it again! Been long enuf that I forgot.