View Full Version : really cool rare Studebaker bus FS

TX Rebel
11-06-2014, 11:33 PM
A great start for a project, but overpriced

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/rvs/4748837011.html

www.studebakersite.com

8E45E
11-06-2014, 11:43 PM
It was also listed a couple of years ago: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?66812-1937-Cab-Forward-bus-for-sale&highlight=1937+wood

Craig

rockne10
11-07-2014, 12:02 AM
I do so wish I had the finances, facilities, experience, tools, time, energy and wherewithal to make this a drivable presentation of the Studebaker motor history.
Or, a conversion to visit national parks, NASCAR infields, occasional SDC Internationals or just tour the country. Few COE's can have a purpose other than show vehicles. Can you imagine Karkiewicz running the swap meets in this? :woot::drool:

clonelark
11-07-2014, 03:24 AM
A great start for a project, but overpriced

Maybe so, but at least he isn't presenting a rust bucket for that price, and it doesn't say Firm.
It looks like it is in very nice shape for a 1937 vehicle. The SBC 400 & Automatic wouldn't bother me. Where would you find a better one to restore?

Bob Andrews
11-07-2014, 09:29 AM
I've been thinking about this bus a fair amount. It's very intriguing to me.

I wonder if this thing is really getting shipped around the country? Two years ago it was said to have been in Indiana. I note that it was owned by a bus dealer in Pennsylvania for a while. Now the latest seller is in Texas.

The price doesn't bother me too awfully much. A seller will make a big deal of the rarity. A buyer will make the point of how very very few people can actually take it on and have the facility, resources, and will to restore it. I wouldn't be surprised if it could be had in the $15,000 range.

But then what? I doubt you would have an easy time finding a buyer who is happy with it as it is. Does one restore it to original? Cosmetically that would be great, but what about mechanically? Going original would make it even less practical to actually drive. But on the other hand, he has the original engine and everything needed to put it back.

Once restored, what do you do with it? Regardless of whether you go original drivetrain or leave the Chevy in there, it's not going to be practical for much driving, and nobody will be driving it much; so most of its time it's going to be sitting. At its age there's bound to be some wood deterioration already underneath the metal; I believe it would go downhill fast if it was left outside all the time. And I surely would not want to do all that work and new paint just to be left outdoors, no matter what the climate. How many people have an indoor place to keep it?

Absolutely, it would be a well deserved addition to the SNM. But I can't see any way they would get it into the building; and even if they could, it's hard to imagine using up all of that space on one vehicle. On top of that, it would not work very well with their normal MO of rotating vehicles. I'm sure the museum would love to have it for its history, but would not take it for the practical reasons.

I would like to buy it and restore it to original cosmetic condition. It sure would be great to see! But imagine trying to find original seats for it, or something even close. On the upside, looking around the bus, it looks like most all the original bits and pieces are there. If I was to do it, I would limit any woodwork to what was needed to make appearances proper, and finish the outside of it. I do cringe at the thought of things like restoring the original brakes. But anything can be done if one has enough motivation... and money...

I think of this the same way as I do the Frua Larks. They are probably significant enough to warrant the time and expense to restore to original. But at whose cost? I thought I would like to do one of the Frua cars for the museum. As with the first Avanti, donations would be solicited to defray some of the cost. I would do the work, and present it to the museum as my contribution. But the museum could not take this bus. So then what?

I am building my new shop big enough to accommodate a vehicle this size. I want the capability to do bigger vehicles, like motorhomes, bigger trucks and vehicles like this bus. I could bring it back to its original glory for sure. Not so sure is what to do with it when it was done. Maybe some of you out there have some ideas?

Commander Eddie
11-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Many of the movie studios used to maintain their own fleet of period vehicles. If they still do, this would be a great addition.
Okay Disney Studios. Step up here. :rolleyes:

8E45E
11-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Many of the movie studios used to maintain their own fleet of period vehicles. If they still do, this would be a great addition.

I wonder if the original transit company that owned it would be interested in restoring it for their historical collection. More than a few municipal transit systems maintain a small fleet of their earlier buses for parades and special occasions.

Craig