PDA

View Full Version : K-body Rear Seat Brace Needed

3x2stude
11-06-2014, 08:34 PM
I still need the rear seat brace that sits on top of the floor at the front of the seat. I do not want to buy an entire cherry body shell to get one either. Even one that had some issues would do as long as enough is there to copy it. HELP!

Jon Kammer

rockne10
11-06-2014, 09:03 PM
I think it's a fairly simple piece of angled steel. What information or measurements would be needed to fabricate it? Photo? Heighth? Width? Angle? Distance from floor seam?
If it's not perfectly original but functions, who's going to pull up the seat to deduct a point in judging? :woot:

Neil
11-07-2014, 05:46 PM
I have a wrecked GT hawk that may have rear seat brackets I can get out.Will check it over weekend and let you know their condition .

SN-60
11-07-2014, 07:09 PM
I have a wrecked GT hawk that may have rear seat brackets I can get out.Will check it over weekend and let you know their condition .

I think he may be seeking a rear seat cushion front support brace from a '53-'58 K body. The GT would be different.

Jeff_H
11-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Is this what you are looking for? Yellow arrows pointing at the channel runs across the body and the front edge of the seat cushions sits on it.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/ee-engineer/KBodyRearSeatchannel_zpsc9ba0bed.jpg[/URL]

I am surprised you would need this. My car was a total rust bucket but this channel was fine and only needed a little repair at the extreme ends at the bottom where it meets the floor by the door B pillar.

I am sure many parted out car would have a usable one but there are a LOT of spot welds to the floor pans if you want to remove it w/o slicing out a strip of the rear floor with it.

3x2stude
11-07-2014, 08:21 PM
The reason I need the brace is I am adding it to a "C" body along with the GT torque boxes to stiffen the car up. I plan to use GT seats as I have an entire set that is perfect. If the width is different from the early K to the GT I can deal with that. I can fab one from scratch but I at least need a model to reverse engineer. My first choice is to use a solid early K or cut down a GT. I just need one to copy. :)

JK

3x2stude
11-16-2014, 06:33 PM
Neil,

Have you had a chance to look at the GT body to see if the seat brace is good? I can use a 53-58 K or a GT K brace. I know they are slightly different but either one can be made to fit my C body.

JK

stude1964
11-16-2014, 08:46 PM
I also have a floor pan that will be recycled. It is from a '62 GT with floor Climatizer/heater box. I have the floor sliced in 1/2 through the tunnel but could cut the braces/pieces out as needed.
Rob in PA.

Neil
11-17-2014, 10:07 AM
I checked my wrecked hawk and the seat brace is intact but it is bent slightly at both ends from floor being pushed up . Have another rusted hawk in barn for parts but can not move it outside right now to work on it. What is the best way remove something like this? Cutting torch ,grinder ?Don't want barn to go up in smoke . .

3x2stude
11-17-2014, 08:08 PM
Neil,

Snap a photo of the bent GT and send me an email, jakammer@charter.net. Please include your contact info so we can talk.

Jon Kammer

3x2stude
11-17-2014, 08:54 PM
Rob,

Can you PM me your contact info so we can talk about what you have.

Jon Kammer

3x2stude
12-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Neil G. / stude1964,

Have either of you had a chance to check out what you have for rear seat braces? I can make any K body brace work. If anyone else has one let me know.

Regards,

Jon Kammer

Neil
12-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Jon,No I have not had chance to get to brace to check it for photo. It is deer season here and car is down in back 20 acres but within 200 yrds of 2 next door neighbors tree stands and one neighbor stopped in last night to complain about the other one walking past his area disrupting his deer hunting so I have to wait a bit before walking the edge of my own property .Neil