Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'63 Lark dash pad in bad shape. Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63 Lark dash pad in bad shape. Options?

The dash pad in my '63 Lark is in really bad shape. I had the car painted recently and it is going in for upholstery soon, so I need to do something about it.

Are there any good used dashes available? NOS? Are there any companies out there that are re-padding these dashes?

Thanks

Tom

Call Studebaker International. They had some a while back.
    Also try the Studebaker Swap Page on the web.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

There are/were dash "Covers" (snap-on Caps) and replacement Dash pads, but the later are harder to find in good used or New for '63's than '64's.

Another option is to buy a good used '64 to '66 and replace the entire dash, it's a better looking dash and a bolt-in.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks, I've checked with Studebaker International and the Swap Page but no luck. I'll keep trying.

Comment

A '64 to '66 dash isn't an option, my wife is in love with the "Vanity". Thanks for the info though!

Comment

Originally posted by studedeuce View Post
            A '64 to '66 dash isn't an option, my wife is in love with the "Vanity". Thanks for the info though!
            The vanity on a '64-'66 is a pull-out jewelry tray and standard glovebox instead of a kind of Cup Holder shelf.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

There was someone on ebay a few months back selling a nos padded dash covering without the "bones". Can't remember vendors name, maybe some one else noticed it?
              Did you place a wanted add on the swap page?
              I have had some luck finding goodies there.
              Last edited by 57pack; 11-05-2014, 01:28 PM.
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                The vanity on a '64-'66 is a pull-out jewelry tray and standard glovebox instead of a kind of Cup Holder shelf.
                Hmm, interesting. I'll look into that as an option. Thanks.

Comment

A local friend is restoring a '63 convertible. He sent his off to Just Dashes. I helped him open the box when he got it back.. And it's beautiful. The downside is that I think it set him back about $2,000. http://www.justdashes.com/

Comment

Studebaker International does not have the replacement pad or covers for a couple of years.

IMHO 1963 Dashes are far better looking and neater than 64-66 Dashes, then again I own a 1963 so I am fairly biased. I personally believe if your car is a 63 it deserves a 63 dash. Your best bet is to keep searching for a nice 63 dash but they are now made of near un-obtainium in decent shape. I've been looking for years and finally purchased have a fairly decent 63 dash a year ago that I plan to repair this winter and post the repair process on my tech blog. After that I will be repairing the dash that is in my Lark for a future Supercharged 1963 Custom build.

How beat up is your dash? Do you have a picture to post? Maybe it is repairable and it is easier to do than you think.

Then again if money is no issue, you could have your dash repaired at "Just Dashes". http://www.justdashes.com. I've heard they are expensive but the product they produce is worth it.

Keep looking and post a wanted ad on the Swap page.

Allen
                    1964 GT Hawk
                    PSMCDR 2014
                    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                    PSMCDR 2013
                    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Yes. My 66 Cruiser has this option.
                      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Tom
                        I have a 63 NOS dash in the box that is without the metal framing that I took in on trade for labor. I would part with it beings all my cars are mostly 66s and I was offered good money. I would listen to offers.
                        Tom
                        sigpic

Comment

1964 beauty Vanity

Originally posted by studedeuce View Post
                          Hmm, interesting. I'll look into that as an option. Thanks.
                          The Vanity WITH jewelry tray and makeup mirror without the weird flip up door that flips all your stuff when you close it, was standard on '64 Daytona and Cruiser, and ordered on many '65-'66 Cruisers.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I bought my 63 wagon partially restored. The seller had the dash recovered by an upholstery shop before I bought the car and I dyed it to match the interior. It came out very nice, although it would loose originality points...

You might check a few local shops and get a price.
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Tom, PM sent.

Comment

Working...
                              X