crank bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crank bolt

I was told that the studebaker crank bolt has a french bolt lock.the crank bolt is a "national special" Was there a special socket used for the crank nut? it is very rare as most fastner books don't list it. Mine was damaged and I got another, the machnist fixed mine and now I have a extra long enough for the two grove pulley.

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

Special socket? I've always used a 3/4 drive 1 1/2. The lock plate fits behind the head and a tab is bent over to lock it in place. I have no ideal if thats a "french bolt lock".

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28

59 Lark
    etc

Comment

The plate that you bend up the edge to lock against one or two facets of the crank bolt is a standard Stude part available through your favorite vendor (part #515202). That kind of fastener locking is called a french bolt lock, depending on where you look. The bolt itself has a standard hex. It can seem that it is a special size/shape because so many crankshaft bolts have been mangled through the years by people who lacked that socket size. On my Avanti it was obvious that the crankshaft bolt had been removed, and then reinstalled - via the use of a chisel on the edge! The threads on the bolt were damadged as well. I was bored so I recut the hex from a 1-1/2" down to a 1-7/16" to eliminate a fair amount of the chisel damage. Then I ran a 11/16" x 16 die over it for a thread cleanup.

Thomas

Long time hot rodder
      Packrat junk collector
      '63 Avanti R2 4 speed

Comment

11/16 x16- wonder why they didn't use a standard thread

Comment

Thanks for the correct socket size[8D]

Studebakers forever!
          Studebakers forever!

Comment

Working...