Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

289 full flow 4sale? Reedsville delivery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 289 full flow 4sale? Reedsville delivery?

I am trying to make a commitment on my engine swap, to a Chrysler 331 hemi

I have a 289 from a '63 Hawk, 95K miles 4 speed trans with a Hurst shifter, also stock 4sp shifter.
    the engine was running good, I currently have the heads off and the engine out of the car, pretty low oil consumption 1qt of 20w50 every 1000 miles
    140 psi on 6 of 8 cyl #3&5 cyl are at 110 psi.
    I did have a head gasket leak where I was getting oil in the coolant

So what's a fair price?
    I may consider delivery to Reedsville

how big of a turnout is there at Reedsville?
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

Turnout at Reedsville is somewhat weather dependent.

Whatever it brings, sharing here keeps we old guys up with today's prices.

I continually need updating, because my first thought was "I remember thirty years ago, I bought a complete, running '63 GT 4-speed car for $650."

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Jack, I know what you mean. We used to get complete engines for under $200 in the '60s. At one time we had a half dozen of them stacked in the garage built to different specs for different uses. Those days are long gone.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
        Jack, I know what you mean. We used to get complete engines for under $200 in the '60s. At one time we had a half dozen of them stacked in the garage built to different specs for different uses. Those days are long gone.
        Yes they are long gone. Back in 72 I bought a rusted out GT hawk for 65 bucks and was able to get it patched up to pass state inspection for next year and half. Car had the AFB carb on a cloverleaf engine and interior was not all ripped up. Still have engine and carb setup.
        NEIL G.

Comment

As for the OP's original question, a 289 in a 4-speed car Stude, with 95,000 miles showing, is way overdue for a rebuild, unless there is documentation of a rebuild. Without such documentation, it is basically a core to me. I would not put it into service without a complete tear down, block cleaning, rings, valve job, new rod, main and cam bearings, and new gaskets throughout-at a minimum. Depending on inspection upon tear down, it may also need the crank turned, new pistons, etc..

But that's just me, there are other folks who may just want something to complete a restoration that is not likely to see much actual service. I have followed immaculate looking "show cars" around, within a few miles of SDC meets that obviously needed a ring job. For some folks, as long as the engine will move the car on and off a trailer, and doesn't leak like a sieve, it is good enough.

Comment

There are now a LOT of Studebaker's, even "restored" ones, that now move less than a hundred miles a year under their own power.

Matter of priorities. If it can make it 5 miles or so to the local car show, not smoking or knocking so bad as to be embarrassing, (or in many cases, run just long enough to be loaded and unloaded from its trailer) the circumstances render a total engine rebuild as financially unjustified, ...and the $$$$ can be diverted into the accumulation of multiple other glittering boy toys.

Any engine that is already partially disassembled, because it is known to have 'problems' is also a crap shoot. It may require only relatively small repairs ....or a god-awfully expensive total rebuild. And most of us with any experience have learned the hard way not to be too impressed by any unacquainted sellers assurances as to any partially disassembled engines usable condition.

Heads off, your set up because it is complete would be worth around $600-800 to me, but most of that valuation would be for the 4 speed set-up, with perhaps $200 or so for the engine, depending upon what a first-hand inspection might reveal. If it were in the car and running so that I could hear it, and so be assured of its overall condition, then it might possibly bring three times that much. $2000-2500 range.
            In short, if you want to get a 'good' price for it, you need to first do whatever repairs are needed to return it to a verifiably good operating condition.
            If it needs little, then what is a day or two of your time worth to you, to turn it into another grand or two in value?
            Last edited by Jessie J.; 11-05-2014, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
              There are now a LOT of Studebaker's, even "restored" ones, that now move less than a hundred miles a year under their own power.

Matter of priorities. If it can make it 5 miles or so to the local car show, not smoking or knocking so bad as to be embarrassing, (or in many cases, run just long enough to be loaded and unloaded from its trailer) the circumstances render a total engine rebuild as financially unjustified, ...and the $$$$ can be diverted into the accumulation of multiple other glittering boy toys.
              I totally get that, and and respect it, but is also why I said, "But that's just me..." My car is always in the parking lot, and I, just like 99 percent of the other attendees am usually in the show lot ogling the glittering toys you mentioned. But when its time to leave, I drive away in the Stude, whether its a hundred miles or 2000+ miles to home. To each their own

Comment

To answer your question one of the vendors or someone who buys and sells this type of Studebaker part on a regular basis, or at least recently, would be the one to answer but since that has not happened I will give it a shot.

My guess is that, from my perspective, if I was within pickup distance, I would buy the engine for $250 but you could get maybe $500 or more depending on how it looks in person. The Transmission setup with all parts to convert to manual from auto, unless you are keeping your car manual with factory linkages etc..., I would think should start about $500 and up, depending on condition. That said it's a crap shoot. You might have no takers and have to lug it home again and scrap it all or someone might be in need and pay a lot more. I'm just looking at it from my wants and willingness to pay for stuff I don't really need.

There is an engine near by me for $275, sometimes they are more sometimes less. The main criteria is one just has to match location with the needs of others. For instance you could not give me your engine, unless it was a fully equipped R3/4, as the shipping would be worth more than the engine. Someone close by might need an engine that could go together with some gaskets and just move the car from garage to trailer and back, as previously mentioned, and be willing to pay more for yours in the condition it's in to avoid a full rebuild on their own engine.

As some have mentioned cars are sometimes cheap. I bought my last 59 Lark for $200 about 3 years ago. Which included a low milage 1963 engine. So I have plenty of spares for that price. people used to give me their old Studebakers just to get them off their property. Go figure?

Len.

Comment

$700 engine and trans stock shifter delco dist. w/ pertronix ign. 500 carter carb.
                  does that sound like a fair price?
                  reedsville delivery would be more
                  Mark Riesch
                  New Bern, NC

Comment

I would be interested if I wasnt so far away.

Comment

Working...
                    X