No announcement yet.

Avanti Sender Unit-Broke My Rib CRAZY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Sender Unit-Broke My Rib CRAZY!

I previously posted asking how to install the Sending Unit in a friend's Avanti. I was advised the unit can be accessed through a small opening in the wall at the rear of trunk. Sure enough a small panel was removed and so the fun began.

Long story short I had to basically lay on the trunk frame rim area to get at the Sending Unit. The unit has a certain orientation to it, and the opening is not exactly accessible so it took a little time and twisting. I got the Sending Unit out and in but had some pain when the job was complete.

Next day I had substantial bruising appearing on my chest area around to my back. Then I sneezed at breakfast and thought I'd pass out. I felt a sharp pain and felt like something snapped in my back. Couldn't inhale for about 15 seconds. Realizing something was a miss I went to the Emergency Room. Sure enough, I broke a rib.

I have spoken to several "old timers" in the last three days and was told they NEVER use that small access panel. They have removed the rear seats and the black panel to access the unit...one guy said he removed the whole tank rather than lay in and on the trunk rim.

So just passing on my tale of woe but also asking.......HAS A CAR EVER KICKED YOUR BUTT and HOW DO YOU GUYS REPLACE AN AVANTI SENDING UNIT?

drain and remove the tank
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Jim, I replaced the sender in an Avanti II last year for a local guy. I removed the back seat and pulled the tank out. I replaced all of the rubber hoses while I had it apart.

Comment

I changed the sending unit on my Avanti by removing the back seat, and the "access panel". I did not need to remove the tank.
        Jim Bradley
        Lake Monticello, VA
        '78 Avanti II
        sigpic

Comment

I agree with Rerun...it was no more difficult than removing the rear seat and the panel behind it. Everything is easily accessible for changing the sending unit.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Ditto on removing the rear seat cushions and fiberglass 'barrier' panel to access tank and tank sender and rubber hoses. (Hope you heal quickly)

Comment

I suppose working on them for a living and also me bing 6'5" makes all the difference in the world! So far no Avanti has kicked my butt.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
              X