PDA

View Full Version : Frank Ambrogio's '56J on eBay

mbstude
11-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Surprised there isn't a thread on this one already. If there is, I'm sorry I missed it.

It appears that Frank is selling one of his two Golden Hawks. Not sure of the reasons why, but it shocked me to see it for sale. For those that don't know Frank, this is the car that prompted him to start the '56J Registry, and all of the other wonderful things he's done for the people that own these cars. http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/ghstory.htm

A beautiful car with a rich history that will be worth every penny it sells for. Hope all is well, Frank!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171525702450?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/Franks%2056J/Daytona_2007204.jpg

Scott
11-01-2014, 07:15 PM
I guess the world has ended and I missed it along with the Hell freezing over part, too.

PackardV8
11-01-2014, 08:14 PM
We all owe Frank a huge debt for all his selfless work on the '56J registry.

We all get old and there are going to be many fine Studebakers, muscle cars and street rods for sale in the coming years.

jack vines

SN-60
11-01-2014, 08:32 PM
This is a fine 56J that's been loved for many years and really is the basis for Frank's 56J registry. Someone is going to get a great car. All-in-all though, I can certainly understand that if he has to part company with one of his twin 56J's, Frank's opting to let the Ultramatic job go and hold onto the Standard with overdrive, dual quad version!:drool:

mbstude
11-01-2014, 08:51 PM
True on both counts, Jack. I wish I had the means to snag up all the cool cars I'll see for sale in the next few years. The SDC is aging, sad to say. I think the market is soon to be flooded.

Ed, according to Frank, the OD dual quad 56J may be for sale soon also, depending on how well this one does on ebay. It's sad to see him let either car go, but after 30 years, I think he's ready to let someone else have some fun.

I hope both cars go to someone who will appreciate and respect all that Frank has done for the 56J lovers. If I had the money I'd buy them both, just because they're Frank's.

SN-60
11-01-2014, 08:56 PM
True on both counts, Jack. I wish I had the means to snag up all the cool cars I'll see for sale in the next few years. The SDC is aging, sad to say. I think the market is soon to be flooded.

Ed, according to Frank, the OD dual quad 56J may be for sale soon also, depending on how well this one does on ebay. It's sad to see him let either car go, but after 30 years, I think he's ready to let someone else have some fun.

I hope both cars go to someone who will appreciate and respect all that Frank has done for the 56J lovers. If I had the money I'd buy them both, just because they're Frank's.

Well said!

Reggie
11-01-2014, 11:20 PM
I've seen the You Tube Videos he's made, with ride-alongs featuring both of those cars. They are nice. Yes, I am surprised to see him dispose of them. I will follow the auction with much interest.

studegary
11-02-2014, 01:56 AM
I've seen the You Tube Videos he's made, with ride-alongs featuring both of those cars. They are nice. Yes, I am surprised to see him dispose of them. I will follow the auction with much interest.

More than follow the auction - I am the high bidder.

EDIT: things that one does when unable to sleep in the middle of the night

studegary
11-02-2014, 01:58 AM
I do not see how this car would be on the cover of the body & chasis catalog (as stated). It is not an early car, it was built about two-thirds of the way through 1956 Golden Hawk production. Perhaps Frank meant to say that a similar car was on that cover.

Bob Andrews
11-02-2014, 04:20 AM
More than follow the auction - I am the high bidder.

EDIT: things that one does when unable to sleep in the middle of the night

Rooting for you, Gary! You are way overdue to add to your 'Studebakers owned' total :)

redbox
11-02-2014, 04:38 AM
Knowing Frank I am sure that this is the most honest write up describing a car there has been on eBay. Now Frank's other 56J will be getting twice the love.

Steve

plee4139
11-02-2014, 04:55 AM
According to my research there are only 66 Sky Hawks registered in this country. How about a group for them?

mbstude
11-02-2014, 06:39 AM
According to my research there are only 66 Sky Hawks registered in this country. How about a group for them?

I find it hard to believe that only 66 Sky Hawks are registered. Even so, there are many many more tucked away. My grandad has one that hasn't been driven in 20 years, but it still exists.

I think there is/was a Sky Hawk Registry. If not.. Start one. :)

mbstude
11-02-2014, 06:46 AM
Gary, what Bob said! It'd make my day to see you buy this car.

Regarding the parts catalog.. Frank published his own version with every part number used to build, specifically, the 56J. He used a picture of this car on the cover.

rockinhawk
11-02-2014, 07:22 AM
I find it hard to believe that only 66 Sky Hawks are registered. Even so, there are many many more tucked away. My grandad has one that hasn't been driven in 20 years, but it still exists.

I think there is/was a Sky Hawk Registry. If not.. Start one. :)The Sky Hawk registry is maintained on Frank's 56J website. Grandad's Sky Hawk was driven about a month ago.but only enough to mow the grass.

mbstude
11-02-2014, 07:24 AM
The Sky Hawk registry is maintained on Frank's 56J website. Grandad's Sky Hawk was driven about a month ago.but only enough to mow the grass.

I'm glad to hear it'll still move. :)

JoeHall
11-02-2014, 09:10 AM
This car just might raise the mark, as far as 56J sales go. I cannot think of a finer example of the marque. It has documented history, has been meticulously maintained, and has been "exercised" for the past 25+ years, yet carefully enough so as not to put a scratch on it. Further, it is being offered by an owner who's integrity is beyond reproach !

studegary
11-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Gary, what Bob said! It'd make my day to see you buy this car.

Regarding the parts catalog.. Frank published his own version with every part number used to build, specifically, the 56J. He used a picture of this car on the cover.

In what he added since I bid on the car, he explains that it is his book and not a factory book that has this car on the cover.

I completely trust Frank. That is why I am the high bidder without even looking at the pictures. I did see his two '56 GHs at a Florida State Meet years ago.

rockinhawk
11-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Frank took me for a ride in the dual quad car. That thing threw my hat into the back seat!

Bob Andrews
11-02-2014, 08:05 PM
In what he added since I bid on the car, he explains that it is his book and not a factory book that has this car on the cover.

I completely trust Frank. That is why I am the high bidder without even looking at the pictures. I did see his two '56 GHs at a Florida State Meet years ago.

Still, you should check the pictures. The Mylar on the door panels is pretty bad, if that matters to you.

studegary
11-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Still, you should check the pictures. The Mylar on the door panels is pretty bad, if that matters to you.

I probably will before I raise my bid. I usually put in a first bid on an eBay car so that I get notifications on it and do not forget about it. Near the end of the auction, I usually raise my bid to my final price. I am surprised that my initial bid has not been outbid.

JoeHall
11-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Frank mentioned the mylar, and said he has an extra roll, included with the car. I, too, squirreled a roll of it away, long ago.

The repro mylar that has been available for years now is close, but no cigar. Ditto for the repro headliner, except it is even further off. Frank's mylar and headliner were NOS, if I am not mistaken. The door mylar is starting to fade on my 56J too, though not lifting as Frank's is. But its easy enough to replace, just need to get round-2-it.

Stu Chapman
11-04-2014, 09:24 AM
I see that this morning there are now 11 bids placed with the top being $15,356. I can't believe there is not much more action on this car, particularly considering earlier auction prices. Frank's car is worth at least twice what has been bid.

Stu Chapman

Roscomacaw
11-04-2014, 10:00 AM
I just looked and it's been taken down due to being mis-listed!

PackardV8
11-04-2014, 10:30 AM
I see that this morning there are now 11 bids placed with the top being $15,356. I can't believe there is not much more action on this car, particularly considering earlier auction prices. Frank's car is worth at least twice what has been bid.

Stu Chapman

eBay is arbitrary and capricious because managing millions of listings each day requires computer algorithms which will act without human oversight.

One reliable SDC member told me he had a high bid of $25,000 and didn't expect to win at that, but no one else had pushed beyond his bid.

jack vines

larkregal62
11-04-2014, 10:42 AM
How about this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-President-Sedan-Show-Quality-Drives-Great-WOW-NO-RESERVE-1941-studebaker-president-/111504841903?forcerrptr=true&hash=item19f634dcaf&item=111504841903&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

larkregal62
11-04-2014, 10:50 AM
This just popped up for me since i had bid Gordon---says Frank pulled it http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-Golden-Hawk-Vinyl-with-cloth-inserts-/171525702450?

mbstude
11-04-2014, 11:30 AM
I just got an email from Frank. He wanted to make some revisions and didn't know how to without killing the auction. He'll have it listed again soon.

Stu Chapman
11-04-2014, 11:56 AM
I just got an email from Frank. He wanted to make some revisions and didn't know how to without killing the auction. He'll have it listed again soon.

I talked to Frank and what he wanted to do was to expand the auction to world-wide and eBay wouldn't let him do it so he had to start all over again and he will have some additional comments. Nothing is simple with eBay. Keep watching.

Stu Chapman

Corvanti
11-04-2014, 05:04 PM
it's back up on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-Golden-Hawk-Vinyl-with-cloth-inserts-1956-studebaker-golden-hawk-56-automatic-/171529608500?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27eff61d34&item=171529608500&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Stu Chapman
11-06-2014, 07:05 PM
eBay is arbitrary and capricious because managing millions of listings each day requires computer algorithms which will act without human oversight.

One reliable SDC member told me he had a high bid of $25,000 and didn't expect to win at that, but no one else had pushed beyond his bid.

jack vines

The current bid on the re-listing is $15,200. What ever happened to the $25,000 bid from the reliable SDC member. I simply cannot believe the total lack o action on this car.

Stu Chapman

sweetolbob
11-06-2014, 07:42 PM
The current bid on the re-listing is $15,200. What ever happened to the $25,000 bid from the reliable SDC member. I simply cannot believe the total lack o action on this car.

Stu Chapman

Stu

Don't get discouraged, most Ebay auto auctions run like this. A flurry of activity initially to get on the list to be notified as the auction ends, then just a lull as most bidders know you won't win it on the third day and a flurry of activity in the last hour or so, Generally in the last 5 minutes.

You'll see the $25K or more at the end if it exists. The cars I've purchased on Ebay were bid in the final few seconds.

Bob

plum55
11-07-2014, 08:13 AM
The current high bid shown on an item will only exceed the second high bid by a small amount if someone is using proxy bidding. In this case someone may indeed have bid 25k but the second highest was 15 so proxy put in 15.2 for the 25k guy. If someone throws in at 21.5 proxy will up it to 21.7 or something like that. If the 25k gets out bid, he will be notified and given the opportunity to increase his max bid if time remains. Some folks wait until the last few seconds to enter a high bid far above the bid shown so no one else will have the time to reconsider, check with the missus, call the bank etc. Sometime you will still be outbid because someone else had a max high greater than the one you entered at the last minute. Point is, it ain't over 'til it's over!

Stu Chapman
11-07-2014, 10:16 AM
The current high bid shown on an item will only exceed the second high bid by a small amount if someone is using proxy bidding. In this case someone may indeed have bid 25k but the second highest was 15 so proxy put in 15.2 for the 25k guy. If someone throws in at 21.5 proxy will up it to 21.7 or something like that. If the 25k gets out bid, he will be notified and given the opportunity to increase his max bid if time remains. Some folks wait until the last few seconds to enter a high bid far above the bid shown so no one else will have the time to reconsider, check with the missus, call the bank etc. Sometime you will still be outbid because someone else had a max high greater than the one you entered at the last minute. Point is, it ain't over 'til it's over!

Wow! The things one learns on this Forum. I've only ever purchased small items of memorabilia on eBay so I've never been aware of all this strategy. Thanks to you and Sweetolbob for your input. I'm sure Frank Ambrogio will be glad to learn this as well.

Stu Chapman

sweetolbob
11-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Wow! The things one learns on this Forum. I've only ever purchased small items of memorabilia on eBay so I've never been aware of all this strategy. Thanks to you and Sweetolbob for your input. I'm sure Frank Ambrogio will be glad to learn this as well.

Stu Chapman

Stu

You may find it interesting to watch the auction in the last 20 minutes or so. Because it ends about 5:30 PM it should be convenient if you are available. A lot of us watched Jim McCuan's (SP?) Original Avanti a while back and, I believe, it climbed over $8K in that time. The bids will show in real time and most proxy bid programs are set to bid in the final seconds. They are programmable to modify that time element however.

My 39 Ford coupe made about $5K in the last few minutes. If the money's out there it will show up in that time frame.

Nice car, I hope it brings enough to make Frank smile.

Bob

Champ51
11-07-2014, 12:44 PM

IF using Proxy bidding, and someone bids an amount greater than the reserve price, does ebay jump the bid price to the reserve, or does it just increment from the last highest bid?

studegary
11-07-2014, 01:08 PM
IF using Proxy bidding, and someone bids an amount greater than the reserve price, does ebay jump the bid price to the reserve, or does it just increment from the last highest bid?

When you place a bid, the price goes to an increment over the previous bid if the reserve has not been met. If the reserve has been met by the new bid, the bid will go up to the reserve amount, not necessarily the high bid (may be higher).
For example, when I placed my early bid on this Hawk, the bid only showed as a small amount and kept going up incrementaly as others bid.

plum55
11-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Understand that you may win an item for considerably less than your max high proxy bid. Ebay will increase your bid only enough to outbid the next highest until your max is surpassed. Just because you authorize a max high of xxx doesn't mean you will pay that much.

studegary
11-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Understand that you may win an item for considerably less than your max high proxy bid. Ebay will increase your bid only enough to outbid the next highest until your max is surpassed. Just because you authorize a max high of xxx doesn't mean you will pay that much.

One exception to this is if there is a reserve price. If you bid at or above the reserve price, your bid will immediately go up to the reserve price, even if the bids already in place are much less.
The converse is that if no one bids at least the reserve, the item will not sell.

larkregal62
11-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Was busy at end of Auction--What was result??

JoeHall
11-11-2014, 06:58 PM

$22,322.22; reserve not met.

larkregal62
11-11-2014, 07:18 PM
Thanks Joe, Guess that "Solid " $25,000.00 bid was a myth. Disappointing! Gordon

JoeHall
11-11-2014, 07:22 PM
I don't think anyone should buy anything due to a sense of obligation. But am a little surprised it did not top $25,000.

2moredoors
11-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Bid history
Tell us what you think
Bid History Section.
Item number:171529608500

Studebaker : Golden Hawk Vinyl with cloth inserts
Current bid: US $22,322.22
Reserve not met
Bidders:8Bids:30Time Ended:Nov-11-14 14:31:27 PSTDuration:7 days

55s
11-11-2014, 09:48 PM
You can't restore it for that. I think I'm just going to drive mine.

ert62 hawlk
11-11-2014, 10:39 PM
Reserve not met. High Bid $22,322.22

JoeHall
11-12-2014, 06:30 AM
You can't restore it for that. I think I'm just going to drive mine.

I agree, couldn't much more than get one roadworthy for that price, let alone restore one. Not thinking of selling mine. Too much fun, and the money would only go in the bank. However, TQs still sell well, whether they will drive around the block under their own power or not. Makes little difference, long as they sparkle. This one looks great, and is actually drive able. Hope nobody whines later if it sells to someone overseas. They take great car of their Studes, and seem to have lots of fun with them anyway. So I'd just as soon as see it, or any other Stude go overseas.