PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of the Packard Hawk NOS hood

Rocket3pilot
11-01-2014, 02:01 PM

One small chip.

57pack
11-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Very nice ! Thank you for posting!
Packaged just like my 1947 Champion fenders, paper and excelsior!
Hope it finds a Packard Hawk in need!
Any idea on price?

Roscomacaw
11-01-2014, 03:09 PM
I wonder who did the fiberglass parts for 50s Studes. Anyone know if such things were made in house???

mbstude
11-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Stanley and Arnold in New York would give you absolute top dollar for it.. But it'd never see the light of day again after becoming part of their hoard. :) Two pretty cool guys.. They just have a weird knack for wanting everything NOS Packard Hawk they can find.

Your post reminded me of this..

I had a REALLY junky Packard Hawk hood from a car I parted out, that I dragged to York a couple of years ago. I think I had written "$100 or make offer" on it. Stanley and Arnold came up and inquired; was the first time I met them. They went back and forth and passed at 100 bucks since it was in such bad shape.. So I offered it to them for free. Stanley says, "We've been coming to Stude meets for decades, our parents brought us as kids. It started out with Dad buying spares for the Packard Hawk and now we just love collecting Packard Hawk parts.. Everyone knows us, everyone knows we'll pay their price, and we get taken advantage of a lot.. Nobody has EVER offered us anything, for free.." They were floored. Came back several times just to chat with me, even buying me lunch on Friday.

They ended up passing on the hood (it really was trashed), and I gave it to a guy who was affiliated with WyoTech. He said that every year, the body shop class refinishes a hood, the students all sign it, and it's hung on the wall of the shop..

http://i.imgur.com/MNAbo0O.jpg

qsanford
11-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Imagine what the rest of the Packard Hawk would look like if it actually matched the new Paint!<G>

studegary
11-02-2014, 01:17 AM
Matthew, when this post first showed up, I immediately thought of the NYC brothers but decided not to post about them.
Other than them, I believe that the market for Packard Hawk specific parts is small, until someone needs something, like when they get into an accident.
I remember that there was a fairly large supply of these Packard Hawk hoods left over. They didn't sell at a very low asking price, perhaps except for this one, in the early 1970s.

hausdok
11-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Hi,

Have you decided to sell it and have you established a price yet? The reason I ask is I have a PH and someone did a poor repair job at one back corner of the hood. It might be cheaper for me to buy a replacement NOS hood than to have a fiberglass guy deconstruct what the amateur did and then try to restore that corner to where the repair is indiscernible.

bezhawk
11-03-2014, 07:57 PM
An interesting factoid on the fiberglass 58 Packard hoods. They had a copper screen bonded into the layers of fiberglass, and a grounding contact that hit the metal inner firewall. That is why they don't need radio interference ignition shielding.(like Avantis)

Dads Baby
11-04-2014, 12:51 AM
An interesting factoid on the fiberglass 58 Packard hoods. They had a copper screen bonded into the layers of fiberglass, and a grounding contact that hit the metal inner firewall. That is why they don't need radio interference ignition shielding.(like Avantis)

Finally!!!!! I have wondered why those two straps are on the hood!!! Mystery solved. Thank you!