Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: tire rating, 4ply or 6ply, 1957 Golden Hawk

Hello together

I am back to work a little bit on my 1957 Golden Hawk.

Next thing are new bias-ply tires for it. I already chose the brand that I would like (BF Goodrich 710-15 with 2.5" white walls).

The only thing I have to decide on is the PLY-rating. Currently there are 4-ply tires on my car.

But on the Studebaker Museum sheet is written: 710X15 6 WHT. Does this indicate 6-ply rated tires?

Thank you very much for any clarification about this topic (also about the difference between 4-ply and 6-ply tires regarding quality of ride)

Kind regards from Switzerland

Rudy
    sigpic

1957 Golden Hawks for the USA market would have four ply tires.
    That "6" on the build sheet is not ringing a bell with me. Possibly indicates the tire manufacturer or something else and not the number of plys.
    If your car was a European delivery car, it MAY have had six ply tires.
    I have had European six ply wide whitewall tires on a Studebaker. They ride much harder/stiffer than four ply tires.
    I suggest going with four ply.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

X2 on what Gary said. Four ply tires are very strong (supports 1500-1600lbs per tire in a 7.10) I think a 6 ply would be overkill. I have BF Goodrich 6.70 x 15's on my 1964 Cruiser and they give a firmer (better) ride than the radials I used to have on the car.

Joe
      sigpic

1962 Daytona
      1964 Cruiser
      And a few others

Comment

Normally the 6 Ply's in that size were reserved for special order on 1/2 Ton Trucks over and above the 4 Ply 6.70X15 Car Tires that were Standard, or the optional 7.10X15 4 Ply.

Possibly that is a typo, it should say 5, or for export an extra tire was ordered, just like the touch-up paint usually was.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hello again,

Thank you all very much for your detailed information and explanations about the tire rating.

So, I will choose the 4-ply ones. While I am at it - the color of the rim should be body color (in my case coppertone metallic), is this correct?

I wish you a nice Sunday.

Best regards from cold Switzerland

Rudy
          sigpic

Comment

If the car was originally shipped to Switzerland, it would have had six (6) tires. I suspect that's what the 6 represents.

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss-Goldenhawk View Post
              /Cut/ While I am at it - the color of the rim should be body color (in my case coppertone metallic), is this correct?/Cut/Rudy
              Yes; 1957's had the major Body Color Wheels on 2 Tones, Body Color on solid Color Cars.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hello Rich.

Thank you very much for your answer. Can't wait to get the new tires on.

Rudy
                sigpic

Comment

Sorry, just enquiring. when my car is major color coppertone and minor color arctic white fins - then the wheels should be coppertone? Was a bit confused

Could you please tell me if the transmission + the oil pan should be Turquoise, too.?

Thanks a lot.

Rudy
                  sigpic

Comment

Hi Rudy,
                    It appears your colour combination is the same as my '57 Packard Clipper Country Sedan (Wagon)-Arctic White & Coppertone.
                    My wheels were painted Coppertone. A lot of older tires were 4 ply construction, 6ply rating. Don't go too heavy as it will adversely harsh-en the ride quality. 4 Ply, if retaining bias ply should be appropriate. Another tire option (although quite expensive) is to go for the wide whitewall RADIAL ply tires as they will really enhance the ride quality, quieten the squeaks/rattles inherent in older cars and vastly enhance the handling of your car. I've run Michelin radials on my '63 GT Hawk since 1968 and would never consider returning to bias ply. Check out "Diamond Back Tires". Their version II is actually made by Toyo and goes to 225/70R15 (for your GH) who is an excellent manufacturer. The other guys should step in to confirm your trans/oil pan paint colours.
                    Good luck with your fantastic car.
                    Cheers,
                    Bill

Comment

Hello Bill

Really appreciate your answer about the tires, I will stay at 4ply diagonal ones, as I especially like the way they look. On my other old car I have radials, it's true that they handle better, but the looks is just a bit too modern in my opinion.

Thank you for confirming the color of the wheels, I will paint them coppertone.

Rudy
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X