Zip van sister by Jeep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zip van sister by Jeep

Never saw one of these before:http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/4729153966.html
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Saw those as a kid. Not many since. IIRC, they came with the side windows to light the cabin so the postman could sort letters or whatever they do back there.

But I did see a similar older (pre-Grumman of the 80s) vehicle the other day, not a Zip van but the same general look.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

learned of those a few years ago when I bought a Hot Wheels called the Bread Box because I thought it looked like a Zip van...they even made one in US mail colours just for you Bob! cheers, junior

sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

The Fleetvans first appeared in 1961, thus predated the Zip Van. They used the 134 CID Hurricane engine and had a 1000 payload capacity.

Comment

I remember those! We never had Zip vans in California, but these were all over San Diego County POs when I was a kid growing up.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I think they were in my neighborhood as well. I remember our Letter Carrier driving a Jeep badge; not Studebaker.
            Was it the Jeep 4X4?
            That would be the model one would need for a rural route in balmy New York state!

Now that your prognostics have changed, what are the plans for the Sno-cone peddler?
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Now that I'm not delivering mail, my main plan for it is shot. Don't really know at this time. It's sitting in the garage at the old house untouched since last year, but when that sells, she will be outdoors at the new place. Maybe I should try selling it and the parts van.
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Interesting. There was a restored one driving in the Nevada Day Parade today.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1692672

Comment

As a FJ-6A this was built on the longer CJ-6 frame. I also notice that it has the same hubcaps that I had on my '65 Wagoneer.

Comment

Had the pleasure at the North East Zone Meet this year.

Comment

I'm still thinking about whether I want to restore mine. It wouldn't be bad; very little rust. Biggest hurdle would be find or make a driver's door. But then when it's done there would be the issue of storing and maintaining a vehicle whose novelty I am sure wears off rather quickly...

I dunno.
                      Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

We know the USPS is bleeding cash and can't even fund its pensions but, I would be surprised if they don't have an earmarked budget for preserving their history and patting themselves on the back.
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Sorry Rockne not exactly true, our pension is fine, in fact Postal retirement is one of the very few plans that is 100% funded. It is the Congressionally mandated prepayment of the postal employees health care benefits for the next fifty years that is the root of the problem. No other company either public or private is required to pay for employees health care in advance. This obviously includes employees not yet hired and some not yet born! This amounts to billions of dollars, yearly, which the PO, simply can't cover and which our divided Congress will not renegotiate.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                            I'm still thinking about whether I want to restore mine...
                            This was one of my dad's Jeep Fleet vans FJ-6s on the north end of the 101 in Phoenix.. 1 of 32, Jeep Fleet Vans!

It was original in Postal Colors.. We named this "Big Bad Yellow!"

The guy has a Chevy V8 in it and still runs around with my dad's plumbing sign on it, and a big hole in the door from rotten wood..

Oh the repressed memories!

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                              We know the USPS is bleeding cash and can't even fund its pensions but, I would be surprised if they don't have an earmarked budget for preserving their history and patting themselves on the back.
                              the USPS is not losing any money when they hire you they have to pay for your pension from day one so every one they hire they have to put up something like $400,000 dollars that is why there losing money

Comment

Working...
                              X