Edelbrock on R2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Edelbrock on R2

Has anyone used an Edelbrock 4bbl as a replacement for an AFB in an R2 application? If so, which one? I need something to use while I restore my 3507s AFB.
    Thanks

If you're only using it as a temp replacement, and plan on running it with just an air cleaner then you can do it with no changes, just a cheapo air cleaner that fits the Edelbrock. If you plan to run it with the bonnet, you'll need get a new one from Procharger since carb tops are a different diameter for the AFB and Edelbrock. Rather expensive proposition as a temp replacement. If you just want to put your AFB to rest then see this article:
    http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/bige/sdc39201.html.

Comment

Hopefully someone has more experience with this, but I've been told that Edelbrock carburetors for marine use are already sealed and can be used. Maybe so...maybe not.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
        Hopefully someone has more experience with this, but I've been told that Edelbrock carburetors for marine use are already sealed and can be used. Maybe so...maybe not.
        Yes, but you still have the issue with the size of the opening in the top cover of the carb fitting the bonnet. Didn't someone take the old R2 carb top cover and swap it onto the new Edelbrck a couple years ago?
        64 GT Hawk (K7)
        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

As a direct replacement you would need a custom carb "hat" at the least. Sealing always comes up as a big concern but I never really had an issue with the Edelbrock even though the supercharger was re-worked to put out 8lbs.

I'd run it without the supercharger hooked up if it's a temporary thing.

If you want to run the Edelbrock here's how to combine the AFB and the ECarb. Few things I could add but if you get that far message me.

ErnieR (bige)
          Last edited by bige; 10-31-2014, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Ernie! How great to hear from you, my friend! Hope all is been well with you!
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
            Romans 15:13
            Deuteronomy 31:6
            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Why bother? a total rebuild only takes a day, including bushing all the throttle shafts.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                Why bother? a total rebuild only takes a day, including bushing all the throttle shafts.
                I had Brad go through the carb on my R2, and it has never ran better. Brad does great work, and I would highly recommend him if you need your R2 carb rebuilt.
                Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                  Yes, but you still have the issue with the size of the opening in the top cover of the carb fitting the bonnet. Didn't someone take the old R2 carb top cover and swap it onto the new Edelbrck a couple years ago?
                  Yes, and this would be the best way to alleviate fifty year old carburetor problems. Rebuilt carbs usually work out OK,....but BRAND NEW is always nicer. If You do decide to rebuild your original R2 carb, Dave Thibeault is the man to call! (978-897-3158)

Comment

Thank you all for your input. After reading through the post on the Johnstone website I am seriously considering the hybrid approach.

Comment

I'm having a Edelbrock 500CM 4Bl put on my Hawk this week funny you should mention that!

Comment

Working...
                      X