58 Packard hardtop build sheets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 Packard hardtop build sheets

Just wondering if anyone had ever gone thru and documented the 675 hardtop Packard built in 1958 ? I have the sheets for the Packard Hawk breakdowns as far as how many with each paint combination, choice of transmissions, serial/body #'s, etc. If one is available for 58 L model hardtops, i would be interested in purchasing a copy. Thanks, Dave

To the best of my knowledge, Dave; that has not been done. Such a project would take two good researchers at least a week of eight hour days full time; it is no small task. BTDT on several occasions for lesser projects. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I have all the p.o. but no motivation for such a project! Trying to understand why it would be a worthwhile exercise?
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        I have all the p.o. but no motivation for such a project! Trying to understand why it would be a worthwhile exercise?
        I can see what you mean Richard, whittling down what a Million PO's, to get 675 of them? About all you would find of some significance is something like this; there were 2 Hardtops in Gray & White that had a Wonderbar Radio and no Power Brakes!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Stanwood
          Actually, whittling down 2622 POs (Note: NO apostrophe). That represents total 1958 Packard production.
          I have not seen how they are currently sorted. All post war Production, All '58's, or all '58 Packards?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Stanwood, thanks for the comments and keep me posted if you take on this project. Sounds like you and i may be the only two that have any interest in these cars.

Comment

Mike Williams made a roster of 1958 Packard Hawks and had it on line but hackers wrecked it.
              Brad these cars were made to be ugly to get rid of those pesky Packard dealers that demanded Packards. They were so ugly that they were cute.
              Times have changed and there is a real interest in these now.
              I have a pair of Packard Hawks for sale and a hoard of N.O.S. parts that I give first dibs to the person that buys the pair.
              I have a paper printout roster of Packard Hawks from 10 years ago.
              Did anyone keep a copy of Mike William's site?
              Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                I can see what you mean Richard, whittling down what a Million PO's, to get 675 of them? About all you would find of some significance is something like this; there were 2 Hardtops in Gray & White that had a Wonderbar Radio and no Power Brakes!
                That number would be zero since all 1958 Packards had power brakes as standard equipment.

I too, appreciate these cars. As posted earlier, I owned a 1958 Packard Hardtop for nine years. The two 1958 Packard hardtops in this area were both red and white, mine and the one owned by Knight's Garage, the Studebaker dealer.

One of my first dealings with "Stanwood" was selling him an NOS diecast chrome tailgate light housing for a 1958 Packard station wagon.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If a study of the build sheets for the Hardtop model is done, I would be interested in the breakout of the all-vinyl interior option. I believe that it is quite a rare option. Mine had it and I have never seen another without the standard cloth & vinyl seats (with factory seats). Only the 1958 Hardtop model (of 1958 Packards) had all vinyl seats as an option. It is strange that the all vinyl interior was offered in the Hardtop, but not in the sedan or even the station wagon.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Hi

I'd like to know which cars were highly-optioned, especially how many were air conditioned. And how many manual shift.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
                      Hi

I'd like to know which cars were highly-optioned, especially how many were air conditioned. And how many manual shift.

Steve
                      In the 1958 Packard Hardtop, Flightomatic (AT) was standard and overdrive was a no cost option. Conventional 3-speed was not available.
                      The trunk mounted air conditioner was optional in sedans, but was not available in Hardtops. (A/C was available in station wagons and Hawks.)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I would be interested to know how many of all the '58 J-bodies had power windows (all four, not only the fronts)

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          In the 1958 Packard Hardtop, Flightomatic (AT) was standard and overdrive was a no cost option. Conventional 3-speed was not available.
                          The trunk mounted air conditioner was optional in sedans, but was not available in Hardtops. (A/C was available in station wagons and Hawks.)
                          Hi

That seems odd, my understanding was that Flight-O-Matic was a $189.00 option on all models except Scotsman, that Overdrive was a $110.00 option with manual shift only, couldn't be team to the automatic transmission. Fred Fox, in his August 1991 treatment of the 1958's doesn't note any restrictions on those by body style.

He also listed three air conditioning options for 1958:
                          1) Novi, trunk, V8 Sedans only, AC-2920, $275.00;
                          2)Sutton, underdash, Champion, AC-2922, $325.00;
                          3) Sutton, underdash, V8, AC-2923, $325.00.

The third option would be the only unit available for the J-hardtop, though still available, at a rather steep price. Probably not many takers except that rare, well-healed '58 Packard customer who lived where the heat and humidity was brutal.

Steve

Comment

Hi

That seems odd, my understanding was that Flight-O-Matic was a $189.00 option on all models except Scotsman, that Overdrive was a $110.00 option with manual shift only, couldn't be team to the automatic transmission. Fred Fox, in his August 1991 treatment of the 1958's doesn't note any restrictions on those by body style.

He also listed three air conditioning options for 1958:
                            1) Novi, trunk, V8 Sedans only, AC-2920, $275.00;
                            2)Sutton, underdash, Champion, AC-2922, $325.00;
                            3) Sutton, underdash, V8, AC-2923, $325.00.

The third option would be the only unit available for the J-hardtop, though still available, at a rather steep price. Probably not many takers except that rare, well-healed '58 Packard customer who lived where the heat and humidity was brutal.

Steve
                            It appears that you are using Studebaker information/specifications/options and extrapolating them to Packard models. This is not correct/valid.
                            For example, standard transmission was standard equipment on all Studebaker sedans and hardtops, but not on Packard sedans and hardtops.
                            Note that I said "trunk mounted air conditioner".
                            My information is coming from the 1958 Studebaker-Packard "Salesman's Data Book", PD 8006.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Hi Gary

Salesman's Data Books are the ultimate authority, so that would be more detailed and in depth than Fred Fox's article which seemed to include Packards as well. Apparently, then any manual shift '58 Packard would have had to been special ordered, which would include the last car, 58L-8134. Mr. Quinn published the production order for it in the August 2002 Turning Wheels, page 25. In the options list is "OD Trans" which would be teamed with the manual shift, more proof the last car was specially ordered.

Also seems odd they wouldn't trunk mount the air conditioning unit in the hardtops. The space to accommodate looks the same as the sedans, the rear package shelf tubes should have presented no special problem. With more glass area, perhaps they felt the front seat occupants wouldn't enjoy enough of the cooled air if so installed.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X