PDA

View Full Version : Please Reach Out to A Long Time Member

asesolen
10-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Many of you probably either know or have heard of Chuck Naugle in Vail Arizona.:!!: Chuck worked at the Studebaker plant for many years, he's collected a vast number of Studebakers, always had the best "show and tell" at meets and has done more for the club than most of us will ever know. He's also helped many a member secure a hard to find part (or car) and has carried many a Studebaker across the country on the back of his famous truck Earl. There are many references to him though out the forum and he's been mentioned in TW a number of times. There's lots more that could be said but...

Chuck recently turned 85 and sadly hasn't been feeling up to par.:( He is going in for some tests tomorrow and know it would mean a lot to him if he received a bunch of mail from his SDC friends. All mail can be sent to:

Chuck Naugle
7714 W Summer Scene
Tucson AZ 85743

This is his daughter's house but she'll make sure that it all gets to him.:D

Thank you for supporting Chuck. SDC has always been more than a club to him, it's family.:!:

2R5
10-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Last time I seen Chuck was at a Studebaker Truckers dinner we had at SASCO back in 2007 . I think that was Chuck's last visit to South Bend

studegary
10-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Sorry to hear this. I hope everything turns out okay.

I have known Chuck for MANY years. We always had a standing "thing" to go out for ice cream when we got together.

Just last evening, I went to a Town Board meeting. I was wearing a Bantam Chef shirt with the stretch 1951 on it (that unique [one of a kind] car was saved by Chuck and rebuilt by David Walker.

StudeRich
10-28-2014, 05:34 PM
I am very saddened to hear of Chuck's health failing, he was a very helpful Guy when he was strong and healthy, I am one of hundreds that he helped with good and fair priced Parts.

jclary
10-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Sorry to hear this. I hope everything turns out okay.

I have known Chuck for MANY years. We always had a standing "thing" to go out for ice cream when we got together.

Just last evening, I went to a Town Board meeting. I was wearing a Bantam Chef shirt with the stretch 1951 on it (that unique [one of a kind] car was saved by Chuck and rebuilt by David Walker.

Somewhere, in my collection of stuff, is the original picture of that Limo Chuck brought east with him. I was not in a position to buy the car, but called David over into the conversation. The rest is history. I still have the picture, which shows the '51 Limo in its rundown condition, sporting a very hard earned patina of "old yeller" paint. It still had the utilitarian suitcase roof rack, and the picture cries out "save me!" Folks may be happy to know that the car escaped the fire that destroyed so many of David's wonderful collection.

Prayers for Chuck. Himself, already a treasure of our SDC. If we had a member "Hall of Fame," surely he would be among them.

8E45E
10-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Ouch! Sorry to hear this! First time I talked at length with him was in 1994 in Minneapolis when I first acquired Big Bertha. Five years later, I had a good visit with him in Rapid City when I showed him photos of the progress I was making on its restoration. I can't say I have seen him since then, though.

Craig

ST2DE5
10-28-2014, 07:46 PM
If you are talking about the 51 Limo or car bus I was on the news group when he went to Sante Fe, NM to pick it up he had the back wheels just barely on the trailer and the front bumper about 18" from the tail gate. I seen it at the Tri-State meet in Spartonburg, Sc. in 2000.

studelark
10-28-2014, 07:52 PM
To a true Studebaker CHAMP- Chuck was not only one of the first to 'champion' the Studebaker Truck hobby, but he was instrumental in bringing so many others with him. I'm not sure the Studebaker Truck Farmers would be where we are today if not for ChucK Naugle.

I don't remember where I first met him, probably at South Bend in 1997. That was the first place I remember Hee-Haw cover-alls. Of course, Chuck is given credit as the Founder of the Studebaker Truck Farmers, a group that is very much alive today. We all wish the best for Chuck.

Frank Drumheller
Locust Grove, VA
60S-W6
M16-52 '48 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Colgate Studebaker
10-28-2014, 07:56 PM
I've never met or talked with Chuck, but my 2 64 GT's came from him. I'll gladly drop him a line and introduce myself, and wish him well.

Guido
10-28-2014, 08:35 PM
Sorry to hear of his health issues. I owned a 1958 tandem grain truck that Chuck owned. I do not think I have seen him since South Bend in '07.

Warren Webb
10-29-2014, 03:42 AM
I never met Chuck but like so many others, look to him as "Studebaker Royalty." When I was in the Phoenix area the end of august I couldn't help but think of him. How so many speak of him when his name is just mentioned speaks volumes to the kind of person he is. Lets hope this is just a small bump in the road for Chuck.

BobPalma
10-29-2014, 09:55 AM
:) Get Well card mailed today...with a handwritten note in -gasp- cursive! :ohmy:;) :cool: BP

JBOYLE
10-29-2014, 05:18 PM
:) Get Well card mailed today...with a handwritten note in -gasp- cursive! :ohmy:;) :cool: BP

Didn't your mom ever tell you not to cursive at your elders? :)
Well done...

Buzzard
10-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Get Well mailed today from Canada. We hope all goes well for Chuck, a true Studebaker visionary.
Bill
PS: Bob will have to learn to pick up his pen when writing!

DieselJim
10-31-2014, 06:52 PM
Just got off the phone with Chuck. He sounds good. No results on the tests. He said his energy is down. I told him that being 85 might have something to do with it. He agreed.

lark63
10-31-2014, 08:31 PM
After South Bend 88 Chuck came back through Illinois to pick up a 1938 front clip he bought from me . When he pulled into my dads farm with Earl and those air brakes went off , M y dad , who was not a Studebaker guy, thought that was great . He really thought that Earl was really neat, and then to find out he was driving back to AZ ! They made a lasting impression , you can call them both ,Chuck and Earl ,an true studebaker ambassador !

BobPalma
10-31-2014, 09:38 PM
Just got off the phone with Chuck. He sounds good. No results on the tests. He said his energy is down. I told him that being 85 might have something to do with it. He agreed.

:) Thanks for the report, Jim. 'Good to have first-hand knowledge. :!: :cool: BP

Chicken Hawk
10-31-2014, 09:57 PM
Card sent off with a note yesterday.

Ted

asesolen
11-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Stopped out at Stude Acres yesterday to see how Chuck is doing. It was great to see the big smile on his face while showing off the mail he has already received.

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag8/asesolen/nov12014_zpsd91f86d6.png (http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/asesolen/media/nov12014_zpsd91f86d6.png.html)

If you've read post #4 above you might have guessed that ice cream is one of Chuck's favorite foods. Chuck's daughter Pat was delighted to tell us how on Friday, Chuck had just dished up a big bowl of ice cream when she delivered the mail. He promptly pushed the bowl aside and started opening the envelopes. Pat asked if he wanted to eat the ice cream first to which he replied, "but I've got mail!".

After Chuck shared his cards with us, he spent most of the day cleaning and rearranging his garage. He is planning on putting one or two more cars inside to protect them from the Arizona sun and heat. During breaks he shared photos, stories and of course an ice cold Pepsi. Chuck even brought out his horn button and belt buckle collections; a real lesson in Studebaker history. John and I enjoyed working with him while taking turns wandering around Stude Acres and relishing another great Studebaker Adventure.

Chuck is so appreciative of all the kind thoughts and words. And the outpouring of goodwill proves once again how awesome not only our cars are, but the especially the people that drive them.

Ecclesiastes 4:10