PDA

View Full Version : 1950 Studebaker 2-ton Truck

AnnT
10-28-2014, 10:40 AM
I had a phone call from a fellow in New Orleans. He has a 1950 2-ton former U.S. Army truck for sale. Needs to sell it quicker than the January TW. Has had it listed on Craigslist for a while, but wanted to get the info to the Studebaker fans. He sent me a couple of short videos showing it running. If anyone knows anyone who might be interested, here's that listing. I'm not sure if I can post any videos here, so for the video, I will forward his email if requested - just email me at the TW address.
Here's that listing.
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/atq/4733830426.html

52-fan
10-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Looks like a nice old truck. I was expecting to see some special labels on the dash or extra tags. The green doesn't look quite right in the pictures for Army OD. Maybe only the rear end was from a military truck?

jclary
10-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Well...for its age, it looks to be a pretty neat old truck. All the other claims, to me, are irrelevant. Having a big six is a big plus. I've seen some of these size trucks with the small six and really never understood that. Also, even today, utility truck chassis are purchased and there are plenty of competent fabrication shops. The next owner gets a rather clean chassis to lengthen, shorten, and create a box truck, tractor, dump truck, or whatever, to suit his purpose.

Problem is, the audience for ownership is limited. Someone living in a condo community, probably couldn't get this by the HOA when parked out front. I could have fun playing with it, but already have more junk than I can keep up with. Since it has no title, that could be very problematic in my state, where, even if you want to put a trolling motor on your CANOE...it has to be registered.

For someone in a state that is not so anal regarding titles, who perhaps has a farm, and enjoys attending farm festivals/tractor shows...could have a blast restoring this truck to haul his vintage tractor. Hope it finds an appropriate home.

Guido
10-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Seems if you bought new tires you would get a matching set.

jclary
10-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Seems if you bought new tires you would get a matching set.

You are correct. However, at that time, I was dealing with a small independent tire dealer. His tire store was one of those old classic two bay service station buildings. That resulted in little room for all but a few common popular tires for stock. When I was ready for new tires for my truck, I wanted something, with what I call side lugs. as similar to the original factory Firestones as I could get. (The original spare is still with the truck.)

There was nothing in his stock even close. So, we picked the tires out of a catalog. He called his wholesaler/supplier with the tire number we picked out of the catalog. It took them a day or so to scrounge up a set. I thought nothing of it until a year or so later when I was washing the truck getting ready for a meet. That was when I noticed that one of the tires was already weather checked on the sidewall. That store owner (a friend) had succumbed to cancer and passed away.) I took my receipt to the new owner of the tire store and he replaced the tire with at no charge. The tire was apparently one that had sat in a warehouse for years. Only one had to be replaced. That one is at least a year newer than the others...so, although the tires look alike, they are still not a "matched set."

Guido
10-28-2014, 07:49 PM
In looking at the pictures and seeing some with the star on the door and others without, I had a flashback to Dr. Seuss and his story about the Snitches and Sneetches.

Roscomacaw
10-29-2014, 02:56 PM
This was and is a civvie truck. The rear axle may have served in the Army, but not this truck. And what would an infantry division be doing with this. At the very least it wouldn't say 23rd Infantry division on it.

Skip Lackie
10-29-2014, 04:37 PM
This was and is a civvie truck. The rear axle may have served in the Army, but not this truck. And what would an infantry division be doing with this. At the very least it wouldn't say 23rd Infantry division on it.
Right. Wrong color, wrong markings, and probably not a truck that the Army would have purchased.

StudeDave57
10-29-2014, 07:18 PM
If it was an Army truck it could've been one that stayed Stateside, no?

Sorta like those BIG bad ones we know the USMC had... ;)

The s/n is clearly pictured- someone in SB go look it up!!!

StudeDave '57 :cool:

candbstudebakers
10-31-2014, 06:04 AM
The engine looks to be he big six but the ID tag states 92 hp at 3200 rpm what is it really, weren't the big six's more hp than that?

Skip Lackie
10-31-2014, 06:49 AM
The engine looks to be he big six but the ID tag states 92 hp at 3200 rpm what is it really, weren't the big six's more hp than that?
You're right. 92 or 94 hp was the number usually quoted for the early 2R trucks with the 226 ci engine -- the 246 usually supposedly provided around 100 or 102 (my 3R6 serial plate says 102). Since this is a 2R17A, it came with a 246. Special low-compression head? 'Tis a puzzlement.