door key same as glovebox key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• door key same as glovebox key?

Just bought a 61 hawk and it has no door key. Just wondering if the glove box and door key are the same so I can just take glove box tumbler to locksmith and have one made....easier than getting one of the door ones out.

The trunk key is interchangeable with the glove compartment lock; not the door/ignition key.

Craig

Comment

If you have the ignition key, as Craig said, it should fit the door. If it doesn't, someone may have changed the ignition tumbler without changing the door, or vice versa.
      Whatever you need to change, ultimately, your door and ignition were the same from the factory and the trunk and glove box matched but would not work the door and ignition. I suppose that was so the valet could not access the body in the trunk.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If you ordered the birth certificate ( production order) from the museum you get the key code from the original car.
        Give me the code and I may have a key with that number or get one cut.
        https://studebakermuseum.org/store/p...60-1966_00029/.
        Robert Kapteyn
        studebaker@mac.com
        Put "Studebaker" in subject line.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
          If you ordered the birth certificate ( production order) ...
          Bob, that still requires the assumption that no cylinders have been replaced in the past half century.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

When I got the production order for my 62 Champ I gave the 2 codes to a local locksmith who said he could make the keys. Both the ignition/door & glove box key didn't work. I ended up rekeying the ignition to fit my other cars. Will have the right door key done when I feel like it. The glove box can remain unlocked.

Glenn, as far as your 61 Hawk goes, is the ignition original? Is it held to the dash by a large(possibly burreled)nut? If so, it's an aftermarket ignition switch. If it can be removed by turning the switch from behind, then its most likely original. If your a member of AAA then you can have a locksmith come out & make a key. Caution though, my wife recently called & the AAA locksmith wanted over $200 for the call whereas AAA would only pay a small portion of it. I had to find the extra key we had here at home & take it to her & unlock the car. If I were in your shoes, I would call around & get the best price for someone to come & do it & send AAA the bill, unless of course the AAA guy would do it for what he would be paid by them.

p.s. The glove box lock cylinder has one less tumbler than the trunk cylinder. Remove the trunk cylinder & have that one done. "Hopefully" it will take the same key as the glove box!
            Last edited by Warren Webb; 10-27-2014, 11:38 PM.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

If you remove a door cylinder a locksmith can make a key by impression. I think I paid $20 when mine were done. a couple years ago. You may need to provide the blank.

Comment

Thanks for all the info! I will go back and check the ignition to see if it is original

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	BE948332-F2D0-4682-8C46-EACEE3DD8CCC_zpsgwzqxqin.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1692733this is what is in the car.

Comment

It has the correct bezel and the Lock Cylinder also looks factory, it is a bit hard to tell in a Pic but the Cylinder resembles the Yale Lock more than the Hurd Brand, that has the very narrow shank. A Yale would be correct for 1961.

Without removing the Lock from the switch and taking it apart to check the Tumbler length, there is no way to know if will match the Door Locks. But it could be all original and match.

I would just take the chance and get a Door Lock Cylinder Keyed as recommended since it will be a lot easier to get to the Cylinder than the Ign. Lock.

Most Studebaker Vendors at: http://studebakervendors.com have the fairly hard to find correct KEY Blanks with the Stude. logo handle, a perfect match for originals.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                    X