Thunderbird--Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbird--Studebaker

This last Sunday morning went to breakfast at a family owned restaurant in the small town near where we live. Was driving the 53 as usual, while eating, a gentleman came up to our table and said "that's a nice looking Thunderbird your driving." not to get into an argument I just said "thank you"... Then he ask me if I had "T" tops for the car? I just said "no I don't"... How far do you let a conversation like that go? Jim
    sigpic
    Jim

I feel your pain. I usually get twice those conversations with my rides.

Comment

I usually answer: Thank you but my car is a 1953 Studebaker.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

While it's easy to say to try and inform them accurately, sometimes that can be counter-productive...some simply do not like being corrected in front of others. While I prefer to give others the right information, I think sometimes you have to assess them and decide whether to inform or smile and say thanks.

As was told to me many years ago..."you can't educate everyone."
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

It happens often. I'd love to see a Baby Bird show up at the PSMCDRs, then I can say: Nope. This is a T-Bird eater (lol). As I've often found, the car guys don't get it right, but the wino on the sidewalk will usually know a Studebaker.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I think anybody who has had a Studebaker Coupe or Hawk, right on up to '64 GT's have gotten this comment from time to time. I never passed the opportunity to say, "Thanks, but it is actually a Studebaker."

Of course, I learned to brace myself for the next question..."Who made Studebaker?"
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I used to be astounded when people thought my 53 was a Thunderbird. Now I take some enjoyment out of politely thanking them and letting them know it is a Studebaker and that it was on the road a couple years before Ford came out with their Thunderbird.
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Sad but funny....I'd always tell them what it was unless the person looked deranged...
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ellen's Truck.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1692593

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]38755[/ATTACH]

I once had the opposite comment. A lady saw Studebaker on my Avanti and said "I thought Studebaker only made trucks".
                    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                    50 Champion 2 door*
                    53 Commander K Auto*
                    53 Commander K overdrive*
                    55 President Speedster
                    62 GT 4Speed*
                    63 Avanti R1*
                    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I've gotten the "nice Thunderbird" greeting a few times, but the one that always gets me is "that's just like the one in the Clint Eastwood movie, except his was black". And it's usually from someone old enough to know better......

Comment

Studebaker did own the rights to the Thunderbird name till they sold or gave it to Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                          Studebaker did own the rights to the Thunderbird name till they sold or gave it to Ford.
                          Maybe I should get one of those 1950-51 "hood medallions" that have the Thunderbird emblems on it on put it on the hood!!! Jim
                          sigpic
                          Jim

Comment

[/URL]

Comment

Over the last couple of years in parades I get the look it is a Grand Torino, I think Ford made them. The Gran Turismo script keeps many of them guessing what it is.
                              Dan White
                              64 R1 GT
                              64 R2 GT
                              58 C Cab
                              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
                              X