PDA

View Full Version : Still looking for a rear sway bar.

Jerry Forrester
10-25-2014, 01:08 PM
For the car pictured below.

Roscomacaw
10-25-2014, 02:42 PM
I've got a bar here. Other than being sure it's from a Stude, I don't know where/what it came from. While I have a hunch it's from an Avanti I parted out, I can't be sure anymore. It's all there save for the two clamps that surround the bushings (which are there) and attach it to the frame rails. I can photo it if you're interested.

Studebakercenteroforegon
10-25-2014, 04:40 PM
I've got a bar here. Other than being sure it's from a Stude, I don't know where/what it came from. While I have a hunch it's from an Avanti I parted out, I can't be sure anymore. It's all there save for the two clamps that surround the bushings (which are there) and attach it to the frame rails. I can photo it if you're interested.

If the rear bar is truly from an Avanti, it will not fit any other Studebaker model. The Avanti bar fits rearward, right where the gas tank is on all other Studebakers.

Jerry Forrester
10-25-2014, 04:46 PM
If the rear bar is truly from an Avanti, it will not fit any other Studebaker model. The Avanti bar fits rearward, right where the gas tank is on all other Studebakers.

Thanks Jerry. That's good to know. Bob is going to see if it fits a '57 Hawk frame he has there and we'll go from there.

Roscomacaw
10-26-2014, 02:59 PM

Awright..... I finally got around to marrying (OK, introducing) the rear sway bar I've had layin' around here with the 57 Hawk frame that's been here for years. I don't think it's off an Avanti now, although I did have one of those at one point in time. I think Jon Myers ended up with that piece. I ALSO had a sway bar off of a '51 Land Cruiser for a time, and I'm not sure what has become of it either. Anyway - after turning this one this way and that - backwards and forwards - I settled upon it sitting as you can see in these fotos. The bar attachment clamps (which I DO have - whereas I'd said I didn't earlier) pick up the holes on the frame ears as you can see in the one close-up. The only questionable point is the "hump" in the center of the bar. And as much as I love ol' Jerry, I wasn't of a mind to fit an axle to the springs just to see if I could feel good about how it and the sway bar would respect each other. SO. While I have had rear sway bar experience with Studes (Sunshine, the Lark ragtop got one off of a '57 Clipper), I don't feel confident in identifying them from one era to another. That leaves it up to the "brains" here to discern whether or not Jerry's feminine mount would benefit from the implantation of this implement.:ohmy:

Roscomacaw
10-26-2014, 04:23 PM
DUH.... I'm walking out to the shop just a few minutes ago and I look at the 64 R1 pkg Hawk. Brain stirs and says: Wouldn't that have a rear sway bar, dummy? (OK, so it didn't really call itself "dummy"). But anywho, we got down on one knee and looked. Yessir - that looks JUST like the bar I was a-playing with a bit ago. Goes on just as I reasoned it would. Only difference is a minor detail as to the style of shock atachment.

Jerry Forrester
10-26-2014, 08:05 PM
DUH.... I'm walking out to the shop just a few minutes ago and I look at the 64 R1 pkg Hawk. Brain stirs and says: Wouldn't that have a rear sway bar, dummy? (OK, so it didn't really call itself "dummy"). But anywho, we got down on one knee and looked. Yessir - that looks JUST like the bar I was a-playing with a bit ago. Goes on just as I reasoned it would. Only difference is a minor detail as to the style of shock atachment.

That looks like a very complete assy. I think I want it. But,
Let's wait until a few gurus weigh in on weather this will fit my effeminate steed. You know, the one pictured below.

JoeHall
10-26-2014, 08:22 PM

Since that one appears to be factory original and "correct", it oughta be worth about twice what Dave T gets for his :D

Roscomacaw
10-26-2014, 08:28 PM
C'mon Joe! Is THAT all???? :lol:

Jerry Forrester
11-02-2014, 08:22 PM
I think I am no longer in need of a sway bar. My BFF Roscomacaw, AKA Studebob, has one coming to me via Greyhound. Leaving No. Cal. (I think he's in No. Cal.) Monday. When do y'all think I can expect it to arrive at the Greyhound sta. in Marietta, Ga.?