Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help RE: photos in posts

Hello all-

As has been mentioned previously, I spend most of my time online on dial-up. The cable company won't bring it the extra 1.5 miles up my road (not enough houses per mile[}]). My little place in Oswego has it, so I've got the whole nine yards there, including wireless modem for the laptop...

When I'm on dial-up, it takes FOREVER for even one picture to load! I like to read every thread, and usually re-read it every time there's new responses. So each time there's a picture in a thread, I have to wait for it to load- AGAIN... When there's more than one, it's that much longer. Then, when someone quotes a post in a reply, many times they don't crop it leaving only the pertinent part. Instead, the whole post is quoted, which means the picture(s) are needlessly repeated... this makes reading the forum on dial-up almost unreadable!

The way I handle it is to click on the thread and watch TV or go do something else while it loads; or make a mental note to read that thread when I get to Oswego on Sat. night/Sunday.

In deference to the (us) poor dial-uppers, from here forward I will limit my posting of pictures to one of the original subject, if applicable. All other pics I want to include will be a link to the actual photo. This allows folks to load the post and read the text much faster, and still see the pics if they choose with just a click. On my most recent threads I have done just this.

I am requesting that we all try to do the same. I love the pics as much as anyone; but it would be great to be able to, having seen the pics in a previous visit, not have to wait for them to load every time I want to check new posts.

If this is somehow a bad idea, then so be it; I'll of course still be here way too much!! But if we could do this, I think it would really improve the forum experience for a lot of us!

What do you think?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Sorry Bob. I've been waiting so long to share those pictures somewhere, I got a little bit excited. I'll try not to do that again...

StudeDave [8D]
    V/P San Diego County SDC
    San Diego, Ca

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
    '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
    '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
    '57 Parkview (she's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Sorry Bob. I've been waiting so long to share those pictures somewhere, I got a little bit excited. I'll try not to do that again...

StudeDave [8D]
      V/P San Diego County SDC
      San Diego, Ca

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
      '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
      '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
      '57 Parkview (she's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
      '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
      '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I agree, Bob.
        I am also on dial-up with a ten year old computer that's full of the crap that slows it down. My uploads don't take the time that yours do; no explanation there.
        More often than not, I delete my signature photo and, when I quote someone, I copy only the significant line I want to quote and never quote/copy photos.
        I suspect some don't realize they can select only a tiny portion of a post to quote. Unfortunately, only a limited number of current viewers will access and act upon these concerns. Such is life.
        When I can afford a new computer and high-speed, your problems will no longer be mine. Will I forget about you? I hope not. Heck, I've still got a rotary dial phone. Anyone remember how to use them?
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I agree, Bob.
          I am also on dial-up with a ten year old computer that's full of the crap that slows it down. My uploads don't take the time that yours do; no explanation there.
          More often than not, I delete my signature photo and, when I quote someone, I copy only the significant line I want to quote and never quote/copy photos.
          I suspect some don't realize they can select only a tiny portion of a post to quote. Unfortunately, only a limited number of current viewers will access and act upon these concerns. Such is life.
          When I can afford a new computer and high-speed, your problems will no longer be mine. Will I forget about you? I hope not. Heck, I've still got a rotary dial phone. Anyone remember how to use them?
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Dave, I hope you don't misunderstand- I LOVE all the pictures as much, or more, than anyone!! Please don't stop sharing them!

All I'm proposing is a little "tweak" in how we do it

I realize a lot of people won't see this thread, and some just won't agree; that's OK. But I'm hoping it catches on, at least a little.

Either way, it's not that big a deal.[^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Dave, I hope you don't misunderstand- I LOVE all the pictures as much, or more, than anyone!! Please don't stop sharing them!

All I'm proposing is a little "tweak" in how we do it

I realize a lot of people won't see this thread, and some just won't agree; that's OK. But I'm hoping it catches on, at least a little.

Either way, it's not that big a deal.[^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Bob,
                I feel your pain. When I lived in the Santa Cruz Mountains in California, I was about 300 yards from where the cable stopped and to far from a central station for DSL...I had dialup. I had high speed at work, but what a pain at home!

The problem is, the internet is really made now for high speed hook ups. Not only are images super common EVERYWHERE, VIDEO is getting there very quickly. Both require a big pipe.

Your suggestions are good ones and fair. My guess is, however, compliance will be spotty at best.

Here's two other solutions...

1. Satellite. Not much more than DSL or cable. downloads are super fast. Uploads a little slower.

2. If you use Mozilla FireFox (you really should, you know), click on "tools" then "options" then uncheck "load images automatically". Problem solved. I would hope IE has a similar option.

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Bob,
                  I feel your pain. When I lived in the Santa Cruz Mountains in California, I was about 300 yards from where the cable stopped and to far from a central station for DSL...I had dialup. I had high speed at work, but what a pain at home!

The problem is, the internet is really made now for high speed hook ups. Not only are images super common EVERYWHERE, VIDEO is getting there very quickly. Both require a big pipe.

Your suggestions are good ones and fair. My guess is, however, compliance will be spotty at best.

Here's two other solutions...

1. Satellite. Not much more than DSL or cable. downloads are super fast. Uploads a little slower.

2. If you use Mozilla FireFox (you really should, you know), click on "tools" then "options" then uncheck "load images automatically". Problem solved. I would hope IE has a similar option.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

I don't use Mozilla; not sure what that is[:I] I have IE. Never heard of that option; I'll look into it.

As for satellite: I looked into it. They want $600 for the dish and install, then $70/month for service, with a 3-year min. contract; and then, they're evasive about just how fast it is in real-life use[xx(] And I've heard it's a fair amount slower than cable... not to mention a second ugly dish on my house...

I bought an Air Card for my laptop from AT&T, my cell provider, for $49. Service was then $69/month for access anywhere a cell phone works! Worked fine, except no faster than dial-up[}] because my area doesn't have 3G service yet (their version of hi-speed). They are supposed to have 3G up and running sometime in Nov., at which time I will re-activate it and see how it works. Hopefully this will be the answer for me[B)]

Correction: I was inaccurate re: the cable company. They said they actually ARE willing to bring it up my road! I only have to agree to the full package for a 3-year minimum... and pay a $5600 fee to bring it in!

I almost invited them to go enjoy self-relations.....

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I don't use Mozilla; not sure what that is[:I] I have IE. Never heard of that option; I'll look into it.

As for satellite: I looked into it. They want $600 for the dish and install, then $70/month for service, with a 3-year min. contract; and then, they're evasive about just how fast it is in real-life use[xx(] And I've heard it's a fair amount slower than cable... not to mention a second ugly dish on my house...

I bought an Air Card for my laptop from AT&T, my cell provider, for $49. Service was then $69/month for access anywhere a cell phone works! Worked fine, except no faster than dial-up[}] because my area doesn't have 3G service yet (their version of hi-speed). They are supposed to have 3G up and running sometime in Nov., at which time I will re-activate it and see how it works. Hopefully this will be the answer for me[B)]

Correction: I was inaccurate re: the cable company. They said they actually ARE willing to bring it up my road! I only have to agree to the full package for a 3-year minimum... and pay a $5600 fee to bring it in!

I almost invited them to go enjoy self-relations.....

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I don't use Mozilla; not sure what that is
                        It's IE's competition. Faster, more secure, more features, free. About 15% market share in the US...30% in Europe.

Choose from Desktop, iOS, Android, or let us email you a mobile download link.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I don't use Mozilla; not sure what that is
                          It's IE's competition. Faster, more secure, more features, free. About 15% market share in the US...30% in Europe.

Choose from Desktop, iOS, Android, or let us email you a mobile download link.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I am also on a very slow dial-up Internet connection. I hate to see people quote things and copy everything from what has just been posted. I try to delete all of the post that I am referring to other than the part that I am responding to. This would be helpful if others did this (some do) and I don't see where it would hurt anyone.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I am also on a very slow dial-up Internet connection. I hate to see people quote things and copy everything from what has just been posted. I try to delete all of the post that I am referring to other than the part that I am responding to. This would be helpful if others did this (some do) and I don't see where it would hurt anyone.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X