1990's old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990's old?

I know time's been getting away from me for quite awhile, but this is ridiculous. This year 1990 cars are now eligible as collector cars. Help!
    peter lee

I don't know who would want to collect them. They are booooorrrriing!
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Just like today's, no?
      peter lee

Comment

Wonder how anyone will fix them once the computer stuff craps out
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

My wife drives a -91 Caprice wagon (yep, this IS off topic) & when the computer gives up I'll just rip all that crap out & by-pas it if the car is still good then.
          (It's a low-milage ex hearse so it's in mighty good condition.)
          Otherwise, what can you do?
          & why not?

Comment

This year 1990 cars are now eligible as collector cars.
            Yup, those cars are now 24yrs old. Does not seem that long ago. I was in college then. Then, I think about the 1st car show I went to in 1985. There were quite a few 60s and early 70s muscle cars there. At the time, those were maybe 12-15yrs old for the newer ones. Already rare on the road. Those would be equivalent to 1999-2002 era cars now. Are those similarly vintage or collectable? Depends on who you ask.

As for the computer controls... Being a EE and knowing a bit about this stuff... Most of it is pretty durable but some parts age badly and will need to be rebuild or replaced. I do wonder about the newer controllers that can be field reprogrammed (reflashed). The early ones were what are called "mask ROM" but later stuff can be reprogrammed. The problem is that the reprogrammable memory is more likely to "leak" and lose its program data over time where the old stuff not so much. If the program is still there it can be read out and copied but if gone its gone. Hope someone is saving the data files....

Jeff in ND

Comment

In Pennsylvania it's fifteen years for a Classic and twenty-five for an Antique ! My newest vehicle, an S-10, qualified last year. And when I first bought my '53 it did not yet qualify.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
                I know time's been getting away from me for quite awhile, but this is ridiculous. This year 1990 cars are now eligible as collector cars. Help!
                Seems like 'yesterday', doesn't it? As Gary states in this thread, http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=acura , the AACA is now accepting vehicles up to 2001 for shows.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Stanwood
                  Bothered greatly by the "new" cars that display and compete at events labeled "Antique Car Shows". That said, I would never call a 1990 Buick Reatta "boring".
                  Gee, would my 1990 Chrysler Town & Country be considered boring?<G>

Comment

I wouldn't mind having my old Taurus SHO. That was a fun car. Mustangs, Thunderbird Supercoupes, Beretta GTZ's, Achieva SCX, etc were far from boring cars. The hard part would be finding replacement parts.
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                      Gee, would my 1990 Chrysler Town & Country be considered boring?<G>
                      Was it ever owned by Jon Voight?

Anyone here remember when White Post Restorations wouldn't consider touching anything built after 1941?
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Just think, the '66 Studebakers turned 25 in 1991!

Comment

There are plenty of cars from the 80s and 90s I loved. GM try to get a little outside of the box in 1990. Think of the Lumina, especially the Dustbuster van (!) and the Beretta with the beer tap door handles, etc.

I have said all along, the cars that people think nothing of today will be desired in 30 or 40 years by today's kids. That's the way it's always been; when I was a kid you couldn't beg anybody around here to take a Studebaker even for free. My father died in 1984. He would get a good laugh to see my love for Studebakers today And I have no fear of where parts and skills to fix computerized cars will come from. The determined enthusiast always finds a way.

I will once again renew my prediction: In another 25 years or so, first and second generation Chrysler minivans will be red-hot collector's items. Hear me now, believe me later
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                            Gee, would my 1990 Chrysler Town & Country be considered boring?

if I was FORCED to accept a 1990's vehicle for collectability, my choice would be a BMW 8-series (E31); either an 850i or 840i. The build quality is good, and it is a true two door hardtop.

Craig

Comment

The first year that I went to the annual AACA Fall meet was 1974. At the time I had a '55 DeSoto as a hobby car. Very few people there had anything for it or even wanted to talk about it. It was too "new" at the time. I saw another one there that a couple had driven to the meet from somewhere in the midwest. They were vendors and had driven the car to the meet as transportation, not as a collectible. I think that the Carlisle meets began a couple years later simply because a lot of people wanted a large swap meet for the 50s and 60s cars. So yes, I agree that the cars no one seems to care much about today will someday develop a following among collectors.

To keep this on the "Studebaker" subject matter, I do remember seeing a Dark Red '53 Commander C-body at that Hershey meet. It was the only one there that I could find to look at. I had gone to the show in part to look for one, as I always liked them. It was in good condition but not for sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X