Runner up and new personal best for STU COOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner up and new personal best for STU COOL

Hoping to take advantage of cool fall air I went out to Sacramento Raceway for the Wednesday Night Fun Drags and had a great time. I not only ran a new personal best with STU COOL at 13.51 @ 103.35, I also made it to the final round of eliminations which really surprised me. I did not get many pictures but I have scanned some of my time slips. Traction is still a challenge for me but I am getting better at rolling into the throttle and finding a balance between slight tire spin and going up in smoke. Even though they do not prep the track at all for the Fun Drags I managed a couple 60 foot times of 2.19, but more were in mid to high 2.20s. Sure wish I could drop that by a 10th or two. The first image is a couple of my best time trials, the next is the first two rounds of eliminations. I was up a against a 15 second Mustang in the first round and easily caught him at about 3/4 track and just stayed ahead across the finish, from the way I launched that time I am pretty sure I would have broken out if I had stayed in it so I lowered my dial from 13.52 to 13.5. The second round I was against a quick Corvette that was dialed in at 11.49, I managed to absolutely tattoo the tree with a .0100 reaction time (maybe a bad job of red lighting?) and held him off at the top end for a holeshot win. Semi final was against another Corvette dialed in at 12.25. I had a decent reaction time and ran a 13.51 on a 13.50 dial in to beat his 12.26 on a 12.25 dial. Final round had me against a Camaro dialed in at 14.07. Maybe final round jitters got me as I had a lousy reaction time and compounded it by spinning tires more than I had been. He made a great pass with a .03 reaction time and then ran just .03 over his dial in so he would have been tough to beat. He was a super nice guy and came and gave me the 'Winners Mug" he got for winning while saying his wife has told him not to bring any more of them home, lol. In any case it sure was fun. Talked to a lot of folks about Studebakers and even met one guy who had recently purchased a '54 coupe barn find. Hopefully I have recruited him for the club. Another Chapter member brought his custom 46 pick-up out to run and managed several low 15 second times. He has a 5.3 Chevy motor with a 4L60E trans. He does not have positraction and was having trouble getting hooked up, but he also had a great time. I am attaching the only picture I took of us in the staging lanes with Steve checking tire pressure.

If your local track has fun drags like this I encourage you to get your Stude out for some fun. It is a safe legal way to see how it performs.
    Attached Files
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Great performances, Pat. Keep up the wonderful Studebaker representation. More pics next time!
    Cheers,
    Bill

Comment

Pat, when are you going to grow up?...We know that grown ups are boring so go have some fun!
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

Love it. Way to go, Pat. Intimidate those Corvettes!
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Sounds like fun...

Mike

Comment

Good going . Glad to see Studes out and running at the strip .
            Bill H
            Daytona Beach
            SDC member since 1970
            Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Awesome! 13.50's certainly nothing to sneeze at. Runner-up is double awesome when you're rolling into the throttle trying not to lose traction or busy back-pedalling (sp?) to maintain consistancy. Set of gummy rubber for the rear axle in future plans for STU COOL? Have fun! junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                Hoping to take advantage of cool fall air I went out to Sacramento Raceway for the Wednesday Night Fun Drags and had a great time. I not only ran a new personal best with STU COOL at 13.51 @ 103.35, I also made it to the final round of eliminations which really surprised me. I did not get many pictures but I have scanned some of my time slips. Traction is still a challenge for me but I am getting better at rolling into the throttle and finding a balance between slight tire spin and going up in smoke. Even though they do not prep the track at all for the Fun Drags I managed a couple 60 foot times of 2.19, but more were in mid to high 2.20s. Sure wish I could drop that by a 10th or two. The first image is a couple of my best time trials, the next is the first two rounds of eliminations. I was up a against a 15 second Mustang in the first round and easily caught him at about 3/4 track and just stayed ahead across the finish, from the way I launched that time I am pretty sure I would have broken out if I had stayed in it so I lowered my dial from 13.52 to 13.5. The second round I was against a quick Corvette that was dialed in at 11.49, I managed to absolutely tattoo the tree with a .0100 reaction time (maybe a bad job of red lighting?) and held him off at the top end for a holeshot win. Semi final was against another Corvette dialed in at 12.25. I had a decent reaction time and ran a 13.51 on a 13.50 dial in to beat his 12.26 on a 12.25 dial. Final round had me against a Camaro dialed in at 14.07. Maybe final round jitters got me as I had a lousy reaction time and compounded it by spinning tires more than I had been. He made a great pass with a .03 reaction time and then ran just .03 over his dial in so he would have been tough to beat. He was a super nice guy and came and gave me the 'Winners Mug" he got for winning while saying his wife has told him not to bring any more of them home, lol. In any case it sure was fun. Talked to a lot of folks about Studebakers and even met one guy who had recently purchased a '54 coupe barn find. Hopefully I have recruited him for the club. Another Chapter member brought his custom 46 pick-up out to run and managed several low 15 second times. He has a 5.3 Chevy motor with a 4L60E trans. He does not have positraction and was having trouble getting hooked up, but he also had a great time. I am attaching the only picture I took of us in the staging lanes with Steve checking tire pressure.

If your local track has fun drags like this I encourage you to get your Stude out for some fun. It is a safe legal way to see how it performs.
                Way to go! I don't care how often we go to the strip, there is ALWAYS someone coming up wanting to know about the cars and had no idea Studebaker made cars like this and when they see the truck, they had no idea Studebaker even made trucks. Times are very good even for the Chevy engine. You did ttake that one didn't you instead of the station wagon? (G) Congratulations!

Agree with your statement: "If your local track has fun drags like this I encourage you to get your Stude out for some fun. It is a safe legal way to see how it performs."

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                  Awesome! 13.50's certainly nothing to sneeze at. Runner-up is double awesome when you're rolling into the throttle trying not to lose traction or busy back-pedalling (sp?) to maintain consistancy. Set of gummy rubber for the rear axle in future plans for STU COOL? Have fun! junior
                  Thanks folks, and yes as I was driving home last night I was contemplating some drag radials and wondering who has them in wide whitewalls, I know they exist. But, as time is passing the associated cost for the tires, wheels, mounting and balancing seems a lot for an occasional use. If I ever do Drag Week I surely will invest in a set. And, if I find some to borrow I might do that.
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Pat since you are really getting into the racing act maybe you need to buy the 52 starlite with 307 "B" block engine. just shake your piggy bank a little harder and enough should fall out to pay for it..Bob
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                      Thanks folks, and yes as I was driving home last night I was contemplating some drag radials and wondering who has them in wide whitewalls, I know they exist. .
                      oh oh...sounds like someone is getting pretty close to the edge of the slippery-slope...lol, lol. go for it, go for it! I think Hurst Tires might have some special white wall slicks, not sure if they are for looks only, or if they are actually made of bubble-gum...but do know they made a set of one-off ALL white slicks at one time. cheers, junior.
                      sigpic
                      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Very cool. Glad you had fun out there!

Comment

Way to go Pat, nice job with the public relations!
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks Pat, reminds me of the old days over to Atco Raceway in Berlin NJ,
                            What a wave of nostalgia seeing Studebakers at the drags!
                            There used to be a fellow who raced a dragster fitted with a Straight Eight Buick.
                            Looked like a pipe organ going down the strip with all those pipes sticking in the air!
                            Thank you Pat.
                            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Way to have some fun with that Studebaker.
                              All the cool cars have a wad of yellow and white papers in the glove box. Having more white than yellow is even cooler.

Comment

Working...
                              X