PDA

View Full Version : Among my souvenirs #1 Salt and Pepper shaker (You will always get a fair shake!)

Studebaker Wheel
10-22-2014, 10:41 PM
I have a lot of Studebaker literature and memorabilia that has probably never been seen by most. I will post pictures here from time to time under the title “Among my souvenirs.” If this is not something you have an interest I suggest you skip over anything you see on the forum with that title. As always comments welcome…..but no fighting.

This first is a set of salt and pepper shakers. The question is, what do these have to do with Studebaker? Click on image #1 below for the picture of the set and then picture #2 if you give up… already. Anyone else have a set? This was a 1964 promotion and I am pretty sure it was after the move to Canada when the “Common Sense” campaign was begun. Maybe Stu Chapman will have a memory of this….and maybe his kitchen cabinet full of these rare “shakers.”

3865538656 38657

showbizkid
10-22-2014, 11:46 PM
They should have done it around 1955 as a Studebaker-Packard promotion :)

Studebaker Wheel
10-23-2014, 12:09 AM
They should have done it around 1955 as a Studebaker-Packard promotion :)

Often thought the same thing.

ndynis
10-23-2014, 06:43 AM
Great idea Richard. I look forward to seeing more and thanks for sharing your collection with the rest of us.

unclemiltie
10-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Dick, Have you ever thought about doing a display at a national meet??? I would expect your exhibit would draw a lot of traffic

I have a lot of Studebaker literature and memorabilia that has probably never been seen by most. I will post pictures here from time to time under the title “Among my souvenirs.” If this is not something you have an interest I suggest you skip over anything you see on the forum with that title. As always comments welcome…..but no fighting.

This first is a set of salt and pepper shakers. The question is, what do these have to do with Studebaker? Click on image #1 below for the picture of the set and then picture #2 if you give up… already. Anyone else have a set? This was a 1964 promotion and I am pretty sure it was after the move to Canada when the “Common Sense” campaign was begun. Maybe Stu Chapman will have a memory of this….and maybe his kitchen cabinet full of these rare “shakers.”

3865538656 38657

2R5
10-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Look forward to seeing more of this :!!:

jclary
10-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Neat stuff. You remind me of a conversation, between my wife and I, years ago. We were driving down the road, when I saw something (don't remember what), that I admired and blurted out that I wanted one of those.:drool::)

With a rather sarcastic tone, she responded, "You want EVERYTHING!":rolleyes:

My reply..."No...just ONE of everything.":D

By golly, Richard, when it comes to Studebaker collectibles...I think you've done it.:):!::)

BobPalma
10-23-2014, 09:43 AM
:) Interesting, Dick. That is the first time I've ever seen The Common Sense Car theme assigned to the 1964 model year.

You are undoubtedly correct in your assumption that they would have been offered after January 1, 1964...and I would surmise much later than that, close to the end of the model year. ;) :cool: BP

Studebaker Wheel
10-23-2014, 11:22 AM
:) Interesting, Dick. That is the first time I've ever seen The Common Sense Car theme assigned to the 1964 model year.

You are undoubtedly correct in your assumption that they would have been offered after January 1, 1964...and I would surmise much later than that, close to the end of the model year. ;) :cool: BP

I would concur. Until I found this item I thought '65 was the first year to use the "Common Sense" theme.

BobPalma
10-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Hopefully, Stu Chapman will weigh in on this discussion as to exactly when The Common Sense Car theme was originally created and first used.

I remember him once saying it was all they thought they could come up with for 1965, since they had lost their glamour models of Avantis, Hawks, and even "Lark" convertibles and true 2-door hardtops. :( :cool: BP

studegary
10-23-2014, 01:11 PM
I would concur. Until I found this item I thought '65 was the first year to use the "Common Sense" theme.

How about the 12 page brochure entitled: "Studebaker Is the Common-Sense Car"? It was put out by Studebaker in "South Bend", plus; "LITHO IN U.S.A.". It begins with: "Press Release, Dec. 9, 1963 ...Studebaker would depart from yearly styling changes to its cars. Two common-sense moves that changed a loss to a profit." There are other items, such as; "By staying with COMMON SENSE features...", "Our COMMON SENSE cars...", "That's why we call Studebaker the COMMON SENSE car." and six more times (Common Sense in upper case in the brochure). The brochure isn't dated. I believe that it came out around April 1964, still during 1964 production. I thought that this brochure came out late during the 1964 model year. Am I incorrect on that?

8E45E
10-23-2014, 01:51 PM
In Canada, the "Common Sense Car" theme was often replaced with "Canada's Own Car" in much of the advertising.

Craig

Studebaker Wheel
10-23-2014, 06:44 PM
How about the 12 page brochure entitled: "Studebaker Is the Common-Sense Car"? It was put out by Studebaker in "South Bend", plus; "LITHO IN U.S.A.". It begins with: "Press Release, Dec. 9, 1963 ...Studebaker would depart from yearly styling changes to its cars. Two common-sense moves that changed a loss to a profit." There are other items, such as; "By staying with COMMON SENSE features...", "Our COMMON SENSE cars...", "That's why we call Studebaker the COMMON SENSE car." and six more times (Common Sense in upper case in the brochure). The brochure isn't dated. I believe that it came out around April 1964, still during 1964 production. I thought that this brochure came out late during the 1964 model year. Am I incorrect on that?

Yes, I believe you are.